New winter tire for my V10F

Grimm10

My stock tire was quite worn and I really want to try this thing in the dirt, and maybe a little snow, so I opted to install an IRC IX tire.  It looks pretty aggressive.  I hope it'll do alright on the street too.  Size: 60/100-12, slightly wider, but no rubbing.

Can't wait to test her out.

PXL_20220222_210826868.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'll let you know...I had an issue with the tire tube filling valve.  I used the old one, but the valve stuck out too far and was rubbing inside the housing.  In my effort to bend the valve, I messed up the valve and it leaked.  Now I'm waiting on a replacement tube.

I managed to get a few kms on the new tire.  It was pretty scary as it was my first time out in months and I don't know if it was me, the tire or the icy/snow conditions that contributed the uneasy feeling.  The tire felt squirrelly/tippy but the traction was very good.  I thought it would slip while riding on ice or plowing through the slush, but it didn't.  I think it's going to take some time gaining confidence on riding on snow/ice.  I tried to ride on some packed snow, but the tire just sunk right down and spun.  

Sorry, not the greatest review, but I think I need to relearn how to ride the wheel.  :P As the weather warms up, I'll try to get out a bit more and get a better idea on how the tire works.  I could feel the knobs on the tire when riding on bare pavement, but surprisingly it wasn't bothersome.

• Upvote 1

I didn't measure, but I figure initially I had it at around 30 lbs.  I dropped it further on my ride and it was less tippy.  It just felt weird though...first time out, new tire and ice and snow all contributed to a my lack of confidence.  To be continued...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I tried to make this tire work, but it clearly is too tippy to control.  Despite the tire being a tad wider than stock, I think the tire profile is too pointy, which leads to aggressive turn in once you lean into a turn.  This occurs dangerously the slower you go.

I figured I just forgot how to ride over the winter, but once I put the balding stock tire back on, it felt normal again.  I do have a new tire from China in transit (CST 1737), so I hope everything will be good with that tire.

52 minutes ago, Grimm10 said:

I do have a new tire from China in transit (CST 1737), so I hope everything will be good with that tire.

I hope it works for you! It’s not everybody’s favorite it seems:

• 2 weeks later...

Damn!  The CST 1737 tire was a fail too!  Far too unstable for me.  Very tippy and I could never comfortably turn. 

Ordered a new stock tire.  Back to what I felt comfortable with.

• Sad 1