KS18XL rim problem question.

Dogmaticjoe

18 minutes ago, Dogmaticjoe said:

how bad is it?

Not bad.

Carefully bend it back (overbending may lead to some hairline cracks). I did that with a vise/vice.

If you don't feel it during riding (as regular light bumps that come quicker with faster speed), it's not a problem at all. And if you feel it, that still would be the only problem.

So it's no big deal, nothing catastrophic can come from this. But I would bend it back simply so it doesn't get worse.

Not an uncommon problem: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aelectricunicycle.org+bent+rim

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

cool ill probably try out the wood and hammer method a little bit later. I'm pretty new to euc and haven't had to take it apart and really want to avoid having to do so. I feel like with all the video's of euc disassembly I would be able to do it but I feel like I would get really stressed that I would mess it up some other way.

• Upvote 1

You're not going to be able to straighten out the roundness of the rim, but you can sort out the side-to-side trueness. So if the bend flares inward/outward, that can be improved a bit.

At the end of the day it's the tire that needs to be true. If you don't notice a bulge in that spot, I'd just ride it like it is. Check for cracks before though. And don't ride too low tire pressure if you're going to ride the wheel like a madman. :) 

I ride crazy low pressures to get that comfort, but I'm aware that I could easy bottom out on sharp edges so I slow down when there's one. 

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If it aint broke, don't fix it. Seriously, is you can't feel it, dont mess with it. If it does vibrate at speed, be sure to lay the rim on a solid object with some rubber mat or something to support it as much as possible on the rim. As suggested, use a wood block or rubber mallet. Strike only the area that is bent. Chinesium likes to crack, so I would be very careful about it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Funky said:

This only happens when you ride over something, right? Like: kerb edge.. pothole edge..?

Generally correct. Bent rims are typically blamed on the tire bottoming out. There is speculation in a small segment of the Sherman community that cracked rims might be partially caused by having your tire pressure too high, because a rock hard tire can't flex to absorb as much energy and that causes it to transfer more impact force to the rim. I'm not sure if that's true, but in a way it does make sense. Either way though, bending/cracking the rim requires a fair amount of force that puts a lot of pressure on the tire—a big drop or pothole or running into a curb/hole.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Funky said:

This only happens when you ride over something, right? Like: kerb edge.. pothole edge..?

Generally anything that would bottom out the tire?

Pretty much. As a low pressure tire rider, THIS is always a concern. Its a compromise we make, enough air to keep the tire from bottoming out on chinesium rims, but not so much we bounce off the wheel during regular road imperfections. I compensate running low tire pressure, by OVERexaggerating impact abosorbtion, when I find myelf going down curbs or rolling over rocks. I kind of ride like I'm on a skateboard, as we know those have ZERO shocks or tires, only our knees. Even so, an unexpected pothole or improperly preloaded jump, will cost me a rim. I am ready for the eventuality and hopefully theyll still sell rims when/if it happens.

I am starting to wonder.... how many people didnt ride bicycles as a child? A cheap bicycle costs less than a cell phone! Some of these questions leads me to believe that either people didnt ride bikes, or they simply had someone else maintain their stuff. The realationship between low tires and excess effort and/or rim damage, was a life lesson that came easily for me and my friends, by age 7. Patching tubes was more common than us finding skin mags in the alleys.....:dribble:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

26 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Pretty much. As a low pressure tire rider, THIS is always a concern. Its a compromise we make, enough air to keep the tire from bottoming out on chinesium rims, but not so much we bounce off the wheel during regular road imperfections. I compensate running low tire pressure, by OVERexaggerating impact abosorbtion, when I find myelf going down curbs or rolling over rocks. I kind of ride like I'm on a skateboard, as we know those have ZERO shocks or tires, only our knees. Even so, an unexpected pothole or improperly preloaded jump, will cost me a rim. I am ready for the eventuality and hopefully theyll still sell rims when/if it happens.

I am starting to wonder.... how many people didnt ride bicycles as a child? A cheap bicycle costs less than a cell phone! Some of these questions leads me to believe that either people didnt ride bikes, or they simply had someone else maintain their stuff. The realationship between low tires and excess effort and/or rim damage, was a life lesson that came easily for me and my friends, by age 7. Patching tubes was more common than us finding skin mags in the alleys.....:dribble:

Yeah, i still remember how i got instant flat 2 times on bike.. But that also was at young age, ~15 years ago..

I even slow down at these kerbs..  Because i know, that i'm 2x weight of some light riders. :P 

I don't dare even jump over regular kerb. Regular bike have two wheels, so weight isn't on one wheel like euc. So i don't risk it. xD

cost-of-dropping-a-kerb-1.jpg

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Funky said:

Yeah, i still remember how i got instant flat 2 times on bike.. But that also was at young age, ~15 years ago..

I even slow down at these kerbs..  Because i know, that i'm 2x weight of some light riders. :P 

I don't dare even jump over regular kerb. Regular bike have two wheels so weight isn't on one wheel like euc. So i don't risk it. xD

cost-of-dropping-a-kerb-1.jpg

Anticipate the drop and suck it up with your knees. If you are good at it, you could probably ride a flat tire and not break anything. Its that pesky UP jumps and those sneaky potholes thatll get ya... Fwiw, we rarely hit with both tires at same time, when dropping off something on a bicycle :)  But yeah, cheap bicycles still had better rims than expensive eucs.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

3 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Anticipate the drop and suck it up with your knees. If you are good at it, you could probably ride a flat tire and not break anything. Its that pesky UP jumps and those sneaky potholes thatll get ya... Fwiw, we rarely hit with both tires at same time, when dropping off something on a bicycle :)  But yeah, cheap bicycles still had better rims than expensive eucs.

I'm more of one tire a time guy. So at any time one tire is on ground. ;) Sure some times i speed up and do the double tire jump why pulling up front wheel.

Won't be doing that on euc. xD Tire repair is nightmare compared to bike. Hell, just risking rim damage on euc is not worth..