KS16C juddering severely

Xplorer

I have a KS16C which has starter to judder very badly upon switching it on, about 70% of the time. I have to cue the power, sometimes a few times before it stabilises. Now it has started doing that mid-ride without any obvious trigger (i.e. not from hitting a bump or anything). Today it started juddering and before I could stop, it shut down. I went flying off and destroyed a heavy duty pair of motorcycle gloves upon landing on the tar. That would have been ugly if I were not wearing gloves. The wheel went tumbling down the road, crossed a major intersection diagonally, mounted a sidewalk and eventually crashed into a wall. If that had it a car, or caused a car to swerve and crash, it could have been nasty. 

Now I am too afraid to ride this wheel on a public road again until this issue is remedied. 

Has anyone else experienced such an issue? Was it remedied and how?

I have heard this happening to other model wheels.  Sometimes it's a cracked inner shell sometimes loose foot plate mounts.  It could be other reasons too.  Loose control board etc.  Hope you survived without major injuries. 

Edited by Paradox
  • Like 1

I would expect one of two causes...

As @Paradox suggested, a loose control board - it is surprising how little movement is required to "upset" the balance. 

I would also consider a faulty hall effect sensor in the motor. 

The 16C has not been manufactured for several years now, and as an older wheel that has (hopefully) been well used, it may be wearing out and getting ready for retirement...