MTen3 Initial Setup Videos???

FLHANDSTER

No videos… just the usual. Take out of transport mode, calibrate, tire to 25-30 psi (rider choice), put ankle armor and helmet on, ride and enjoy!

The ankle armor part is optional, but advised.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

No videos… just the usual. Take out of transport mode, calibrate, tire to 25-30 psi (rider choice), put ankle armor and helmet on, ride and enjoy!

I got vids on my channel of my first encounter with mten and more recently as I treat it like the little bastard it is. Man I love that thing! Pretty much what @tawpie said, tho Im 130lbs and ride mine at 20psi. One of the joys of the mten is that its stupid simple and just does what it does. No frills, no extra crap, just 1 button and ride. You may want to source a spare tire, as they're cheap and the stocker is wonderfully soft and horribly soft.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Thanks for your reply. Although I know one will tweak it as they go, is there a standard PSI chart for varying rider weight?

Any APP insights? Which is the best app to use for iPhone users? Any specific settings to adjust upon initial setup? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I got vids on my channel of my first encounter with mten and more recently as I treat it like the little bastard it is. Man I love that thing! Pretty much what @tawpie said, tho Im 130lbs and ride mine at 20psi. One of the joys of the mten is that its stupid simple and just does what it does. No frills, no extra crap, just 1 button and ride. You may want to source a spare tire, as they're cheap and the stocker is wonderfully soft and horribly soft.

It is a fun wheel for sure. Just wanting to make sure any and all initial setup setting on the app are correct. Thanks for your note.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 11:03 AM, FLHANDSTER said:

It is a fun wheel for sure. Just wanting to make sure any and all initial setup setting on the app are correct. Thanks for your note.

I use eucw merely to make sure the speed limits are set at max and its calibrated. At 130lbs I'm riding a soft 20psi. If i was prone to curbs and more cruising with less noodling, I'd run it up a hair more and soon install a tire with more plies. The luxury of the Mten is that I see damn near NO reason to need power up an app when I want to ride. I guess if I was chewing the battery to nothing all the time, I may. How I use the mten, it rarely sees less than 2 lights gone out on the front 'meter'. Depending on use, you may find the need for an app to be nill. I use apps and all that with my other wheels, but the mten's luxury lies in the fact that you wont be updating it, you dont need wonder if something will change. It is what it is and the limitations are liberating. The mten charges so fast, tis nothing to top it off if you're gna be on it daily. Big pedals, RollNZ cover, Mten t-shirt  and doneB). THey may even come with big pedals now. Honestly, I havent connected my mten to an app in probably a year or more. ONLY maintenance it to listen for clicks when teetering, as the pedal hangers lossened on me ONCE over a cpla years. Buy a bottle of slime for tubeless. I hate using it, but my tire eventually earned a ton of thin slices as its playdoh, and I had no choice. Tires are cheap, but slime may help. I suggest waiting until you need it, THEN install.

Fwiw, I dont think the mten sends its state of settings to an app on powerup. I may be confusing it with another, but Im pretty sure the app will simply resend wheel setting when you open it. It wont update the app, so if yuo change apps or settings while not connected, it wont revert to wheel settings, it will simply change the wheel. I noticed this as I use ios and droid. If i change settings on one app, I need recall change them on the other.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 7:57 AM, FLHANDSTER said:

standard PSI chart for varying rider weight?

None that I've seen. You'll hear sherman riders recommending very high pressures to try to avoid bent rims from hitting holes at 40 mph, or dropping off of curbs... and you'll hear other sherman riders wonder if super high pressure leads to cracked rims. Lots of debate, but in the end it is a matter of preference.

With the MTen, I found higher pressures made if feel more squirrley when riding briskly. Meaning: it wanted to turn and wobble more. Lower pressures (nearer 20 psi) and it's much more well behaved and you don't feel every grain of road sand in your feet. But it's also more 'muted' (less squirrley). The MTen's axel won't stand up to jumping or curbs anyway, so you can go lower pressure on it than you would with other wheels.

I'm about Shane's weight when I'm fully geared and have all my wheels at 25 psi. So far no bent rims or snakebit inner tubes. If you're heaver though, you do want more pressure.

On 12/25/2021 at 7:57 AM, FLHANDSTER said:

Any specific settings to adjust upon initial setup?

The one thing you do want to use an app for is setting your speed alarms. The little beastie is wicked quick and you can get your speed into the danger zone before you know it. I have my first two alarms turned off, and the third set at 16 mph but I try to never go faster than about 13-14 and then only if the battery is full. Unfortunately, 'speedometer' means 'app' or a P22 watch (see the standalone band-watch thread. @enaon has done spendid work there and a watch is under $30). For iOS, DarknessBot is the most capable—Android has EUCWorld which I like better but it requires a burner android (no data plan needed).

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 9:41 PM, Tawpie said:

There are no instructions on how to take out of Transport mode, calibration, etc. in the manual in the box. Any initial setup videos, etc. for the MTen3?

24 minutes ago, FLHANDSTER said:

There are no instructions on how to take out of Transport mode

I thought mine came with a little hang tag on the handle on how to get it out of transportation mode? Easy to miss. And there were no other instructions in the box. But if your wheel is in transportation mode, the way to check is to set it with the wheel on the ground, turn it on and hold it fairly straight up and down. Then gently push the handle forward... if the wheel tries to stay upright and roll forward, it's not in transportation mode and you're good to calibrate, gear up, and start having fun. If the wheel wants to fall over on its face, it is in transportation mode and you won't be able to ride it until you get it out of that mode.

To get it out of transportation mode (this is from an old person's memory), turn it off. Then press and hold the lift switch and keep holding it. Press and release the power button 5 times, still holding the lift switch. Tadah! It should balance. You can put it back in transportation mode by repeating the take-it-out-of-transportation-mode procedure.

To calibrate, you need a spirit level and either the Begode app or better yet EUCWorld/DarknessBot. Find 'calibration' in the menus and follow the instructions. When the wheel is properly calibrated and standing still while powered up, the pedal should be pretty much dead level.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I thought mine came with a little hang tag on the handle on how to get it out of transportation mode? Easy to miss. And there were no other instructions in the box. But if your wheel is in transportation mode, the way to check is to set it with the wheel on the ground, turn it on and hold it fairly straight up and down. Then gently push the handle forward... if the wheel tries to stay upright and roll forward, it's not in transportation mode and you're good to calibrate, gear up, and start having fun. If the wheel wants to fall over on its face, it is in transportation mode and you won't be able to ride it.

To get it out of transportation mode (this is from an old person's memory), turn it off. Then press and hold the lift switch and keep holding it. Press and release the power button 5 times, still holding the lift switch. Tadah! It should balance. You can put it back in transportation mode by repeating the take-it-out-of-transportation-mode procedure.

To calibrate, you need a spirit level and either the Begode app or better yet EUCWorld/DarknessBot. Find 'calibration' in the menus and follow the instructions. When the wheel is properly calibrated and standing still while powered up, the pedal should be pretty much dead level.

Good memory! You helped me recall the same. I went to my bin and dug thru my boxes and came back with this...

DSCN8474.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, FLHANDSTER said:

Do you own an MTen3 as well?

Nah :P 2.5-3 bars are standard for most. If wheel is wobbly, and you are light.. You can put less air in tire.

I started on 3.. Wheel felt wobbly at speed. So i let some air out 2.5-2.8 felt best for me.

3 hours ago, Funky said:

Nah :P 2.5-3 bars are standard for most. If wheel is wobbly, and you are light.. You can put less air in tire.

I started on 3.. Wheel felt wobbly at speed. So i let some air out 2.5-2.8 felt best for me.

Which wheel are you referencing?

And which settings? 

I'm trying to follow your comments. Please help if possible. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, FLHANDSTER said:

Which wheel are you referencing?

And which settings? 

I'm trying to follow your comments. Please help if possible. Thanks!

i said 18xl. also under my name.

<< ks18xl (kingsong 18xl)

Simply pump as much as you need.. More air = better rim safety, BUT more harsh ride.. You need find the sweet PSI spot for your weight and ride..

More weight - more psi normally.

Check on wheel (tire) it self there should be bar, psi shown how much you can pump it up..

Are you trolling? xD

5 minutes ago, Funky said:

i said 18xl. also under my name.

<< ks18xl (kingsong 18xl)

Simply pump as much as you need.. More air = better rim safety, BUT more harsh ride.. You need find the sweet PSI spot for your weight and ride..

More weight - more psi normally.

Check on wheel (tire) it self there should be bar, psi shown how much you can pump it up..

Are you trolling? xD

:) 

Well, I wanted to confirm due to this thread being model specific to the Gotway MTen3. That's all.

I do understand the typical approach to setting the tire PSI, however I was looking for more than the tire settings with my initial inquiry from the beginning. Thank you though for taking the time to share. Stay safe and enjoy your weekend!