What is your camera setup when filming at your desk/workbench?

Ben S

I'd like to make some product review videos as well as record EUC upgrades and maintenance.  I'm curious what equipment other people use when recording videos of them in the workshop or at their desk.  Can you share a photo of your setup (assuming you have a second camera)?  My intent is to use my phone camera.  I am curious if there is a way to use a Bluetooth earbud as a wireless mic and what type of recording software is needed for tha to work.

I think I'd like to get a tripod that would sit on a desk about 18" high.   I tried a long flexible gooseneck one time but it had too much wobble in it.  I the setup I pictured here I'm using a suction cup mount meant for a car windshield, attached to a nearby shelf.  It doesn't always stay put.  I have a lamp on the desk but am not sure if there is a benefit to the popular ring LED lights.  Do they make a difference to shadows? 

20211126_225210a.thumb.jpg.e5d5888bc94b1cb11a474ea9b53636a0.jpg

• Like 1

I’m not high tech at all for my videos, but I do some edits and corrections on post (on a pro video editing software).

I have a $20 tripod for my iPhone X with a height range of roughly 2 ft to 5 ft. The phone attachment is DIY, although commercial ones are now available widely. I also have a “monkey grip” for close or peculiar positioning.

For a clip mic you can use basically anything (digital) as the actual audio recording device. The main camera, second phone, a laptop, a voice recorder, etc. If recording externally, clap your hands once in the beginning of the recording to make syncing a separate audio file easier.

There are several free audio editors/recording software, especially for a Windows PC.

For more distant camera footage I either use a condenser microphone recorded on a laptop, or a voice memo app on a secondary phone.

First I usually edit the video with the sound from the phone, then export audio only for removing noise and applying compression and EQ, then replace the original audio in the video editing software, and finally export the video. But my workflow is based on my work history as a professional sound engineer, so the external sound editing might not be something that would benefit you.

• Like 3

On 11/27/2021 at 1:14 AM, mrelwood said:

First I usually edit the video with the sound from the phone, then export audio only for removing noise and applying compression and EQ, then replace the original audio in the video editing software, and finally export the video. But my workflow is based on my work history as a professional sound engineer, so the external sound editing might not be something that would benefit you.

I freaking love you man!:wub: Im staring at rack tube gear, full patchbay and your last paragraph pretty much sums up the extent of my video making knowledge. I spend 3 minutes pointing and shooting, 2 minutes editting video and 2 hrs playing with audio. Someday I'll spend a moment on content thought too.

Reaper.fm for the win! No excuse for anyone to have videos that blast my ears out, while I try so hard to hear the vocals. Reaper aint free, but they let you try a FULL version with a small nag screen for first 10 seconds. Trust me, its a great $60 invest.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I freaking love you man!:wub: Im staring at rack tube gear, full patchbay

:dribble: I’m staring at… oh well, my laptop screen. :blink1:

I spend 3 minutes pointing and shooting, 2 minutes editting video and 2 hrs playing with audio.

:roflmao: Exactly! Although, I’m starting to be able to spend hours on end on video editing as well. It’s actually quite fun too!

Reaper.fm for the win!

OOH! Reaper love!!! :thumbup: Ps. Have you checked out my free Reaper plug-ins yet? ;)

mrelwood5.wixsite.com/plugins

Reaper aint free, but they let you try a FULL version with a small nag screen for first 10 seconds. Trust me, its a great $60 invest.

… including up to 2 years worth of upgrades, and a community and developer responsiveness unseen before. I have lost count on how many licenses… Oh wait. Version 1-2, 3-4, 5-6. That’s three licenses. Still cheaper than FCPX though. :D

• Like 1

:angry: I use painters tape to tape my GoPro to a stick. No editing. It is what it is. That is why my videos are so terrible. :(

On 11/27/2021 at 1:14 AM, mrelwood said:

But my workflow is based on my work history as a professional sound engineer, 

I have no audio or video skills <_<

………. I spend too much time on the computer as it is. :P  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

:angry: I use painters tape to tape my GoPro to a stick. No editing. It is what it is. That is why my videos are so terrible. :(

I have no audio or video skills <_<

………. I spend too much time on the computer as it is. :P  

Unless its duct-tape and zip ties.... you're doing it wrong!

My workbench setup is typically a gopro on a tripod. Sometimes I use my Nikkon to shoot it, but the autofocus is a setting I havent fuond yet, so it doesnt work if i move. Honestly, the hardest part is finding a camera angle that hides the explosion of a room I call a studio/shed/storage/shop/hanger and junk collection. Voiceover is usually done with overly expensive mics and rack gear. For no other reason that I like an excuse to use the stuff.

@mrelwoodI've been a paid reaper user for only 2 versions. I was using audacity before. Then I used cubase, fl studio and ableton. Reaper is my goto by far. I have the free plugins and a crap ton of paid. I'll go see what you got for sure. Honestly, Im at the point where I ignore 90% of them and use a few as goto's. I'm old, I like knobs. COntrollers aint the same, I wanna hear that scratchy pot so I can bitch about it later.Even my consumer grade mixer has big ole faders on motors..<_<

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2