Veteran Sherman - Hand Made Carbon Fiber RIM

nowjoel

I'm working on selling some custom made Carbon Fiber Rims for the Sherman; if your interested please let me know as I'm trying to get a production number down before launching the ecommerce site, the estimated cost is $500.00 US dollars via Paypal Only. it's a short Run so please don't hesitate to comment and it does come with warranty. I will be posting prototype pictures soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nowjoel said:

I'm working on selling some custom made Carbon Fiber Rims for the Sherman; if your interested please let me know as I'm trying to get a production number down before launching the ecommerce site, the estimated cost is $500.00 US dollars via Paypal Only. it's a short Run so please don't hesitate to comment and it does come with warranty. I will be posting prototype pictures soon.

Although I don't plan to become a customer, I'm wondering what you expect the differences will be with the stock rim.

Also

• Which rim width: more like V1, V2, or in between?
  • What about the magnets: will they be the exact same as stock or will the motor's characteristics change?

Any sherman owner knows that the original rims V1/V2 dent, bend and crack, Carbon Fiber does not, plus is lighter.

The V1 Rim currently but will create V2 eventually, same exact magnet position as original for both. I choose the V1 because it's 9.8 lbs to start with.

I have a friend here in NYC with 5 broken rims from the bad roads here.

Edited by nowjoel

3 minutes ago, nowjoel said:

Any sherman owner knows that the original rims V1/V2 dent, bend and crack, Carbon Fiber does not, plus is lighter.

Most know indeed, sadly my Sherman V2 rim has a small dent as well.

However it is wildly inaccurate and misleading to claim that carbon fiber does not crack.
Especially if the end result contain some voids due to imperfect manufacturing, a carbon fiber part can fail catastrophically, which would not bode well for an EUC rider.

I'm sure that a strong and safe carbon fiber Sherman rim can be designed and manufactured, but it can also go wrong.

3 minutes ago, nowjoel said:

The V1 Rim currently but will create V2 eventually, same exact magnet position as original for both.

I don't know much about the topic and supply chain details, but I'm guessing magnets of the same dimensions don't have the exact same characteristics.
Could you please develop further?

20 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Most know indeed, sadly my Sherman V2 rim has a small dent as well.

However it is wildly inaccurate and misleading to claim that carbon fiber does not crack.
Especially if the end result contain some voids due to imperfect manufacturing, a carbon fiber part can fail catastrophically, which would not bode well for an EUC rider.

I'm sure that a strong and safe carbon fiber Sherman rim can be designed and manufactured, but it can also go wrong.

I don't know much about the topic and supply chain details, but I'm guessing magnets of the same dimensions don't have the exact same characteristics.
Could you please develop further?

The point is not to sell defective gear, specially not at this price, perhaps maybe look up the tensile strength of carbon fiber composite?

you can probably get a better idea of what we are talking about, when it comes to failure the margins are much less than steel or aluminium.

if someone can put the needed stress to crack this Rim on most roads , the rider is an absolute beast. i mean there a lot of other advantages besides strength and low weight, it's is a material with heat conductivity x 40 times less than aluminium and 10 times less than steel, saving your magnets in the long run.

Edited by nowjoel

5 minutes ago, nowjoel said:

The point is not to sell defective gear, specially not at this price, perhaps maybe look up the tensile strength of carbon fiber composite?

you can probably get a better idea of what we are talking about, when it comes to failure.

IMHO, your are using a lot of shortcuts in your messages so far.
Maybe it's with the goal of simplifying, but it unfortunately becomes so over-simplified that some statements end up objectively wrong.

It comes off as an attempt to create marketing hype and future orders, but at the same time dismissing questions which replies could help establish how strong is the engineering behind this product.

I mean, I'm asking legitimate questions here and your answer is for me to look up a theoretical value for an unspecified material (carbon fiber composite is extremely vague), which is also entirely irrelevant for the manufacturing of a carbon fiber rim.

So yes, it create concerns. I hope you will address them later by describing the process and prototypes.

If anybody is curious on how carbon fiber parts can fail and very much crack indeed, I encourage you to a look at Luescher Teknik's channel, where he cut opens carbon fiber bikes and rims with in depth explanations. He also make his own bikes.

38 minutes ago, nowjoel said:

you can probably get a better idea of what we are talking about, when it comes to failure the margins are much less than steel or aluminium.

if someone can put the needed stress to crack this Rim on most roads , the rider is an absolute beast. i mean there a lot of other advantages besides strength and low weight, it's is a material with heat conductivity x 40 times less than aluminium and 10 times less than steel, saving your magnets in the long run.

Yes, the details is beyond the scope of this post. Perhaps stay tune and i'll update the post as we move forward. Thanks for the link.

It would be nice to have you as customer to perhaps test the product's quality. I'm no different than you, I hate to pay for crap and your questions are reasonable.

I'm just offering an alternative to the defective sherman rims we all know to fail horribly, and as I said prior, it's about better quality and durability than what we currently have.

Edited by nowjoel
  • Like 1

Do you have a background manufacturing carbon fiber parts for high risk applications? Or test engineering? 

Credentials are only worth so much but they can help build confidence in something new. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, nowjoel said:

Hi, 

Can you explain for me please your statement about the magnets and how the carbon rims would save the magnets better than the aluminium one?

Without looking into the matter, i understand the aluminium rim is a huge moving radiator, being cooled by the air passing by. Aluminium conductivity is one of  the main reason to be used in the heat sinks. Aluminium rim prevents magnets being overheated (demagnetization) and generally with the motor side shells (also axle and pedal hangers) it is the main resource of getting rid of the heat from the motor generally (from the coils and also the bearings). I belive the carbon fibre rime won't be as effective as a heat radiator. Hence your statement is surprise for me. Not sure what are bigger priorities which carbon fibre satisfy better in this heat matter. 

Thank you.. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

His last visit to this site was December 16th, 2021. Did not know Joel D’ort but he is a fellow Veteran Sherman rider and that’s all I need to know to feel like he was a friend. I read good things about this guy from his New York riding friends. RIP Joel.