Rolled into an E-Bike shop this weekend, we talked Batteries

GothamMike

Gist of the convo: Battery choice is critical, some batteries are much more likely to catch fire than others.  Many shop owners will not look at or repair certain ebikes, or will only repair the ebikes they have sold. A Small Business Owner to walk away from revenue is very telling.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I completely get this...

Recently, we have "exhibited" at a few trade sites around New Zealand, which has been great to "spread the word". But it has also resulted in a few queries along the lines of, "I have an old [airwheel or similar], can you supply me batteries for it?"

And this is something that I really want to avoid... trying to "refurb" an old wheel, giving an expectation that it should work again!

Cleaning up someone else's legacy is like walking through a minefield. Not something I am prepared to attempt. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I completely get this...

Recently, we have "exhibited" at a few trade sites around New Zealand, which has been great to "spread the word". But it has also resulted in a few queries along the lines of, "I have an old [airwheel or similar], can you supply me batteries for it?"

And this is something that I really want to avoid... trying to "refurb" an old wheel, giving an expectation that it should work again!

Cleaning up someone else's legacy is like walking through a minefield. Not something I am prepared to attempt. 

As you're aware I've played around with this - my latest iteration has 32 x 18650 batteries.  Absolutely not worth the effort - such pathetic under powered things.  Great if you want to experience a cut out at a slow speed though which I've done (proved the worth of safety gear and knowing how to fall safely (or safer perhaps).