EUC World - Requesting Tour setting to disable GPS power saving mode

Ben S

To save battery life I often put my phone (Galaxy S10e) into power saving mode.  This means that the GPS coordinates are only available to apps when the screen is on. I always record my EUC World Tours and it's a bit frustrating when I start a tour and forget to check the status of the power saving mode.

I am requesting a new slider in the Tour menu to "Always disable power saving mode when Tour recording".   If it is too much trouble for the app to change the power saving mode then at least can you have a slider for this: "Warn user if power saving mode is enabled during tour recording" and then have a popup on the screen with a button that can either take me to the settings or a button to "dismiss" the warning.

2021-09-13_22-02-22_EUC_World_Power_Saving.jpg

• Like 1

This is very good idea. The only problem is that many devices has its own, non-standard power-saving options that can't be checked via standard Android API. I will however take a loot at this.

• Like 2

This is very good idea. The only problem is that many devices has its own, non-standard power-saving options that can't be checked via standard Android API. I will however take a loot at this.

If the Android API is too difficult to work with then maybe you could implement a work around.  If the GPS signal is "lost" due to the screen turning off that would be an indication that power saving mode is enabled.  In that case you could have it make an announcement, though only when Tour recording is enabled.

10 minutes ago, Ben S said:

If the Android API is too difficult to work with then maybe you could implement a work around.  If the GPS signal is "lost" due to the screen turning off that would be an indication that power saving mode is enabled.  In that case you could have it make an announcement, though only when Tour recording is enabled.

Actually, the problem isn't with GPS alone, as there is already an announcement notifying about GPS signal lost/regained. The problem is that power-saving is freezing entire app, so it stops running at all. As it's stopped, it's code is not executed so no workaround or any other routine will work.

• Like 3

Actually, the problem isn't with GPS alone, as there is already an announcement notifying about GPS signal lost/regained. The problem is that power-saving is freezing entire app, so it stops running at all. As it's stopped, it's code is not executed so no workaround or any other routine will work.

Ahh.  That is a tricky situation.  The next level workaround is to have a way to detect if the app has stopped running during a tour recording.  The next time it resumes, like when I briefly turn on my phone, it could make an announcement.  That's not the most desirable solution because I may ride miles before checking my phone again.  The ideal time to determine if GPS is working is when starting the app.  <_<