Is there a huge difference in ease of maintenance between brands?

p40whk

As a mechanic Ii usually look at how well things are built and haw hard the are to work on. Between Gotway/Begode, Inmotion, and Kingsong, is one brand better than the others at maintenance such as replacing tires, motherboards, and the standard parts that break often? There are tons of "what's the best wheel for me?" posts with a smattering of talk about quality issues but I haven't been able to find much in the way of which units require more work than others. I'm a newb so it's possible that I'm just not using the right search terms.

• Like 3

Look for the teardown videos... the crew in Russia (I forget their youtube channel's name) does a splendid job. But in general I think difficulty of disassembly is model specific more than manufacturer. The only routine maintenance of a non-suspension wheel is tire changes, these are simple machines and there's not much to them. Tire changes are moderately difficult but aren't quite rocket surgery, however on some models the tire change is a substantial undertaking.

• Like 1

I tend to fiddle with and modify my wheels accordingly. Noticed that Gotways build quality and parts-fittings are not as good as the King Songs. I haven't worked on any Inmotions yet.

Definitely plenty of help available on any search engine, here or youtube.

One thing I can advice is to never grab the TIRE to move the wheels around when your wrenching.  I did it once unaware, the wheel spun and slammed my knuckles into sharp plastic. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Surfling said:

One thing I can advice is to never grab the TIRE to move the wheels around when your wrenching.  I did it once unaware, the wheel spun and slammed my knuckles into sharp plastic. 

Ouch! I'll have to remember that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfling said:

Grab it by the pedal hanger. My bro lost his thumbnail when we moved a motorcycle once. He grabbed the rotor and it spun and the rest was just nasty. Same basic principal.:blink1:

If you're a decent tech and you dont follow adam's (wrong way) lead on tools and tool use, you'll be fine:lol:. They are very simple designs and its not like they go out of their way to make it complicated. You will see medium quality wires, low quality fasteners and tons of plastic and goop in all of them. If you can fix the instrument cluster on a car that has sat for 20yrs, w/o breaking anything, you are more than qualified to work on an euc. Patience, proper tools, a few beers(jack daniels), common sense and youtube is all you need. Sounds simple enough, but idk how many (if any) of those items you possess. I prefer used wheels, as I have to open new ones anyhow. You simply cant trust the factory builders... period. Used wheels have had previous owners do the burn in testing, so you are ahead of the game already.

The wheel you dont break is the one you will spend less time fixing. I'd say the larger gotway wheels may be the easiest to work on, as none of the fasteners will be in it after the first crash. Second repair job will simply entail removing duct tape and gluing more components and wires back together...

psa: don't use loctite or threadlocker near plastic on these wheels, unless specifically designed for it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 8:34 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Grab it by the pedal hanger. My bro lost his thumbnail when we moved a motorcycle once. He grabbed the rotor and it spun and the rest was just nasty. Same basic principal.:blink1:

If you're a decent tech and you dont follow adam's (wrong way) lead on tools and tool use, you'll be fine:lol:. They are very simple designs and its not like they go out of their way to make it complicated. You will see medium quality wires, low quality fasteners and tons of plastic and goop in all of them. If you can fix the instrument cluster on a car that has sat for 20yrs, w/o breaking anything, you are more than qualified to work on an euc. Patience, proper tools, a few beers(jack daniels), common sense and youtube is all you need. Sounds simple enough, but idk how many (if any) of those items you possess. I prefer used wheels, as I have to open new ones anyhow. You simply cant trust the factory builders... period. Used wheels have had previous owners do the burn in testing, so you are ahead of the game already.

The wheel you dont break is the one you will spend less time fixing. I'd say the larger gotway wheels may be the easiest to work on, as none of the fasteners will be in it after the first crash. Second repair job will simply entail removing duct tape and gluing more components and wires back together...

psa: don't use loctite or threadlocker near plastic on these wheels, unless specifically designed for it.

Been there. That's sucks, super painful 

Glad your ok!

• 2 weeks later...

As a rider, I like wheels that require no maintenance other than charging. Of course, a fresh tire when needed is acceptable. Flats can be an inconvenience or worse. Of the wheels I have experience with, I have the most maintenance free miles on my Gotway Nikola. Second would be Gotway MSuperX, and in last place King Song 18XL. But you are asking about ease of working on it. So in that case, reverse the above order. If you want to spend time fixing flats and repairing failed parts, get a King Song 18XL. It will keep you busy with repairs, and it's the simplest.