Slow (but) progress

Eeyore

Hi @Scottie, and @Ubute,

Nice of you to reach out!

I'm in hibernation mode. No more summer, long light evenings; it gets dark around 4PM vs 10PM in July. It's a season for depression if you're so inclined, dark, damp, and rainy. The "fair weather confidence" doesn't quite cut it, so I'm mostly staying indoors, and looking forward to starting afresh in May, or maybe even April.

Hope you guys are well, and keeping busy riding all over the place!

"We have 9 months winter, and 3 months of bad skiing conditions" 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Eeyore said:

Doing well here, and trying my best to ride all over the place! The weather can get a bit challenging here also. 

I look forward to reading about your adventures next Spring.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 8:20 AM, Eeyore said:

Hi Eeyore, nice to hear from you. I'm glad to hear it's the weather that has stopped you, not injury or disheartenment. Here in Tasmania it has been an unusually wet winter and spring, but I've been riding when I can. I've posted a few more videos on my Youtube channel, Ubute Electric Unicycle. I've been riding for a year now, and although I still don't do tricks like riding backwards or jumping, I do feel my general confidence increasing. I'm more upright, more relaxed and riding faster. I'm not interested in speed for its own sake, but when I check my stats after a ride I find my average speed creeping up.

The Tasmanian State Government has just enacted Personal Electric Vehicle laws which will permit EUCs in public places, on footpaths, bike paths and "local roads". I'm very happy that they have done the right thing, just imposing speed limits instead of trying to discriminate between different vehicles or placing limits on power. The principle seems to be that you can ride anything as long as you don't go faster than 15km/hr around pedestrians, or 25km/hr everywhere else. Although my cruising speed has crept up to around 32-33km/hr, I'm happy to conform with the 25k speed limit if it means I can ride legally in public. I heard somewhere that in Denmark my S18 would be illegal because it's too heavy! Do Danish police carry weighing machines as well as speed cameras?

• Like 2

Wow, 25kmh is barely 15mph. That is incredibly slow. Thats running speed. I cant fathom how going so slowly while using lanes for cars, could be a good idea in the slightest. Hell, my mten goes faster than that. Still, I guess a speeding ticket is better than a ticket for riding something that is illegal altogether. My guess is it wont be long before the cops realize that they dont make a single euc that is puny enough to conform to the MAX speed limits imposed.

Good to hear you're still riding @Ubute, hopefully all is well for you guys over there!!:cheers:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

5 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I cant fathom how going so slowly while using lanes for cars, could be a good idea in the slightest.

I apologise, @ShanesPlanet, my post was confusing. We can't use lanes for cars, as "everywhere else" might have implied. Earlier I listed the places we are to be permitted (when the legislation is enabled) including "local roads", which is probably meant to be roads with very little traffic. Certainly not roads with lanes of traffic. I think the actual definition is any road that doesn't have a central dividing line.

Coming from a situation in Australia where all PEVs, including EUCs, are illegal everywhere except on private land, and now a piecemeal, indiscriminate mish-mash of State laws being enacted, I'm grateful that my state, Tasmania, has taken a simple and rational approach. And one from which further negotiation can take place.

• Like 2

ah gotcha. Mkaes sense, as I safely ride my mten in circles in my 'street'. I was envisioning rush hour traffic trudging along getting angry as theres an euc going 15mph taking the lane (legally) Its great that you at least arent an immediate criminal with an euc in Tasmania. Even if the speeds are a little low, ANYTHING is probably better than nothing.

• 2 months later...

I am the hardest of hard learners, and was rained in for the winter. But ended up turning my basement into a circuit and zipping around in there a little. I finally got to take it outside this weekend for the first time and zip around a little concrete area outside a condo. I can mount and go hundreds of feet and such, I am maybe a few days away from being confident enough to take it actually around the neighborhood. Which is exciting. And when that moment comes I will put it in the closet and let it gather dust til god knows when cuz its a v12. So I guess it will be a range anxiety one wheel summer, which I am glad I didn't sell yet.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2021 at 4:20 PM, Eeyore said:

looking forward to starting afresh in May, or maybe even April.

@Eeyore Just checking in ... I hope all is well and you are getting set to get out there again.

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 1