Veteran Sherman innertube change............a success!

Dreygun

But not without hiccups lol. Decided to split the shells and fold the non motor wire side over. Did the tube change, flipping  the valve to the upper side (opposite side from stock), to make it easier in future swaps. Was in the process in putting everything back together and noticed the stupid air vents fell inward. I thought those would've been glued or something to one side. ugh, took everything back apart to get the shells wide enough to slide those back in place while closing the shells back up. I usually ride 24-28psi, but I pumped it up to 30psi. No more under 30 for me because I think the tire slides, dragging the tube with it on low psi, pulling at the valve being held in the tight rim hole. 2nd tube change in a month for this wheel on 24-28psi. First swap was under warranty at 2 weeks old so the roll bars came out nice and easy for me lol. Splitting the shells in half saved me from researching what socket I would need to ruin with a grinder, so I took the lazy way. Seemed it could've went a bit smoother if the wires were a bit longer tho. phew, all done. Sorry no pics, no patience to host anything

@Dreygun- Congrats on the tube change. Was your valve the cause of your flat? Do you really think the low psi may have damaged your valve? I've been having valve issues, too. I've increased my psi to 45, hoping for more rim protection and a faster ride. I've been through 2 tubes in a month. I'm thinking of lowering my psi back to 38. I haven't had an issue until I increased my psi. I'm trying to figure out how the valves get torn?! I read you flipped the valve? I hope that works for you with your'e Sherman.

1 hour ago, Optimus_Prime said:

@Dreygun- Congrats on the tube change. Was your valve the cause of your flat? Do you really think the low psi may have damaged your valve? I've been having valve issues, too. I've increased my psi to 45, hoping for more rim protection and a faster ride. I've been through 2 tubes in a month. I'm thinking of lowering my psi back to 38. I haven't had an issue until I increased my psi. I'm trying to figure out how the valves get torn?! I read you flipped the valve? I hope that works for you with your'e Sherman.

I do think it's low psi, going off curbs that grabs the tire and it slides on rim, pulling at the valve. I tired above 30psi and it is way too bouncy for me, like unsafe bouncey. 30psi is the highest i can go while still maintaining a decent ride. I'm wondering if applying a sealeant along tire seating on rim would keep it sticking enough to ride lower psi safely. Or maybe just simply widening the valve hole in rim, to give it a bit more play. I only switch sides for valve so that it faces upward when i split the shells for tire fixes, otherwise it doesn't matter really, if you're doing it the traditional way and removing the wires from board and sliding out the whole tire/ rim. 

34 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

More info please. What rim do you have? Narrow or wide? The newest batch should have the wide rim. I am trying to keep track of tire and rim problems on the Sherman. Thanks. 

Wide rim, black buttons

Edited by Dreygun
Added info
  • Like 1

@Dreygun- I don't ride a Sherman. I ride an MSX. I reached out to you to commend you on the tire change. I know how difficult they can be, and to pick your brain about the tube valve. I'm having the same problem with my valve. I'm trying to figure out why the valve keeps tearing. When I change my tube, I'm going to thoroughly check for any sharp edges near the valve hole, sand the valve hole if needed, clean my rim, and place some tape around the valve.

• Like 2