Universal Application - DIY Addressable RGB LED Lighting for PEVs

DIY Addressable RGB Lighting for any PEVs - specifically built around low-power 5 volt lighting - makes use of power banks/built-in USB ports in PEVs.

I have had quite a bit of interest by people in my local community - in Portland, Oregon. We have a weekly Friday Night Ride (FnR); made up of onewheels, EUCs, Scooters, ebikes, e-dirtbikes, eboards - the list goes on. It definitely draws attention/interest, specially on those PEVs without LED setup such as my S18.

Short google doc of items I used in my S18 setup.

Will post pics of my setup at a later time - just wanted to give some ideas for others to have a place to start.

have fun!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, misterdalto said:

DIY Addressable RGB Lighting for any PEVs - specifically built around low-power 5 volt lighting - makes use of power banks/built-in USB ports in PEVs.

I have had quite a bit of interest by people in my local community - in Portland, Oregon. We have a weekly Friday Night Ride (FnR); made up of onewheels, EUCs, Scooters, ebikes, e-dirtbikes, eboards - the list goes on. It definitely draws attention/interest, specially on those PEVs without LED setup such as my S18.

Short google doc of items I used in my S18 setup.

Will post pics of my setup at a later time - just wanted to give some ideas for others to have a place to start.

have fun!

doc is updated with pics - included below, too.

jJjW6N0JxZLo5_L6CkDAiAzUYt2nmceFmo3au8mCzNt8ZzN4vg9IslENZMzCG8v6jyEcY2rgT31WpurZkM4b7Lejoz1zO31cGdgrrDkD8S7inGYKXDSMqV_W_gWv2qsb_9w8aGyKKmnLlKLmZE0roQBAhI-2iP4_VMz_8xA4nLtjmAJ4cmC0zC4ZrJYKfRYO16MCvqSfMpFjDGewDBnCLbsMtKaGPu2wpj1RzbdAfZdYEvXrpR2FH8tfTsS-klbLBo7OGNBhZsa9Nen2
qACypkx3fKA5cvDr8jlOweFjJJj5W9TnpndjAc9LqPTgKcq1uIuhkJKLpcW3fz4LUA_rfVK48tAITB6q0KXGgFI1Hyu16Gvs9OafMufKuaPyTdcigZ0VTttZq8h6sm216rN8JPxQe8Pst_WUrLZM2mLNe_MyromAlPasnJIpbgDf1LPMYYF2dkXFk08rz71eUBTNlPSzWipnINqEKjRauo-5yMmcLdJUjbvSxmIazkug0UhNIpG6mSiNXTtdJbcQ2FQ4890m4ZMwjFr-pBR3qJSoJIOdcc58Asc91tSng0rBMJNuKMVFvLVrn2oxsx6yEvf2bHVmH7Do4KVCeA9McyoVbU_7i8CZiigCZ5NoTrmxiRCCzms79RN1Ef_AN4kvv0W7niUaBWUUC0MJ7heSAsQz

Thank you for sharing.  That is also an interest of mine but I haven't had the time to tinker or experiment.  Adding LEDs to the S18 is not too difficult.  One day I will post mine.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on version 3 of my lighting. 
here is the link to my google photos album with my 3rd implementation. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wFoLqguXJ6JrWJ6Y8

basically, i made sure to order extra parts this time, splitters and extension cables. all prior attempts, i used the clips that came with the light strips, knowing it would be temp. this go around, everything had been physically attached with some very strong glues - the rear lights are set between frame and the bottom side pad (sloppily trimmed the back of the lower pads to accommodate the space needed to set the strips in place. 

i'd def be interested in seeing how your project(s) come out!

• Like 1

What density are those strips? I was looking at fitting some 144led/metre ones. Duf did this on his Sherman but I would like the front and rears to be separately controllable. I also can't seem to find any less than 1 metre long. I know they can be cut shorter but I'm not sure whether I could re-connect again (so I could use a 1 metre strip and cut it in half to make a pair).

I would also like to make it discreet and most of the strips are quite obvious. I even thought about sleeving them in smoked PVC tubing but I am struggling to find that as well. I just don't want it to look home made if you know what I mean.

Your strips look nice, I like the way it is diffused too. Can you get them in black?

Edit: actually, I think I know which strips you have. I would be mounting them facing forwards and backwards, and I don't think they flex in the plane I need, they only flex sideways I think.

Edited by Planemo