16X2.5 tire on Begode Tesla V2 / Nicola wheel rim

lenfant

Hi, I would like to install a 2.5 tire on a Tesla V2. Having to replace the motor, I have heard that the Nicola motor is the same. My question is : Is the rim of the Nicola, wider than the one on the Tesla V2 ? If the answer is YES, would it be possible to mount on it a 2.5 tire.  Due to the wider rim, the height of this tire should be less than on the original Tesla rim. As a consequence, this motor with the 2.5 tire, might fit easily in the Tesla shell.  Could anyone check the width of the Nicola rim to the Tesla rim ?

Best regards, lenfant

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lenfant said:

Hello, what does that mean and what do i have to do ?  "Your content will need to be approved by a moderator"

It means a moderator has to check your post before it is visible to everyone. This is only for very new members to prevent spammers etc. You can already post without needing approval, your posts will show immediately.

On 6/22/2021 at 11:22 AM, lenfant said:

Hi, I would like to install a 2.5 tire on a Tesla V2. Having to replace the motor, I have heard that the Nicola motor is the same. My question is : Is the rim of the Nicola, wider than the one on the Tesla V2 ? If the answer is YES, would it be possible to mount on it a 2.5 tire.  Due to the wider rim, the height of this tire should be less than on the original Tesla rim. As a consequence, this motor with the 2.5 tire, might fit easily in the Tesla shell.  Could anyone check the width of the Nicola rim to the Tesla rim ?

Best regards, lenfant

Unfortunately your plan won’t work. For the tire height to change any considerable amount, the rim width would have to change more than the range of all EUC rims are in. Besides, since the tire bulges outwards from the rim, widening the rim would probably make the tire taller at first.

Also, the EUC tire clearances are generally made tight enough that a 2.5” tire won’t fit in place of a 2.125” tire due to both height as well as width. So you’d probably be grinding the shell anyway to make room for the width of the new tire.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 10:58 AM, mrelwood said:

Unfortunately your plan won’t work. For the tire height to change any considerable amount, the rim width would have to change more than the range of all EUC rims are in. Besides, since the tire bulges outwards from the rim, widening the rim would probably make the tire taller at first.

Also, the EUC tire clearances are generally made tight enough that a 2.5” tire won’t fit in place of a 2.125” tire due to both height as well as width. So you’d probably be grinding the shell anyway to make room for the width of the new tire.

Hi mrelwood. to better explain my plan I need to send a drawing showing the result of mounting the same tire on a wider rim of same diameter (12'). Just by looking at the drawing, i think that it would be straightforward to grasp what i mean and see that the same tire on wider rim would result with a tire probably not higher than the original one. This is the reason why i want know the width of the Nicola rim. Unfortunately, i don't understand how to send a picture "from URL". 

Could you help ?

22 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Unfortunately I don’t think a drawing helps much unless you have all the measures and ratios correct.

I don't have a you tube account or anything like that. Here after is the best i can do.

TIRE 16/2.125                                TIRE 16/2.5

|                                                                     |

|                                                                     |

_____                                                               _______

/           \                                                            /                \

\       /                                                    \             /

| |    | | Tesla rim                                            | |         | | Nicola rim, if wider.

\ ___ /                                                              \ ______ /

|      |                                                              |           |

|      |                                                              |           |

---------------           <   motor axle >           ---------------

If the Nicola rim is wider,  then when inflated, the bulge should be flatter, consequently lower, and possibly might fit in the arch of the Tesla shell without rubbing.As far as width is concerned, there should'n be any problem; For this reason, i asked for the width of the Nicola rim. If the rim is wider, best would be to have the radius when inflated.