V11: No pressure in upper chamber?

Halig

https://euc.world/blog/v11-vs-ks-18xl-a-long-distance-test-of-inmotions-suspended-wheel/

From what I understand @Seba :efefb6a84e:, you don't use pressure in the upper chamber. Is this so or have I misunderstood? No pressure in the upper chamber makes me "clonk" after every bump

In the manual, as well as on a special sticker on one of the pedals, only recommended pressures in the lower chamber are indicated, according to the user’s weight. However, on many forums it is written that the recommended pressure in the upper chamber is 50 psi. Many users experiment with shock chamber pressures and post their own recommendations. In my experience, however, limiting myself to the lower chambers is completely sufficient. What’s more, when I was experimenting with pressures in my test V11, I was not able to get satisfactory results. When I thought I found the optimal setting, after an hour of riding it was completely different. After three days of experimenting I gave up, although I learned some lessons for the future. So when my own wheel arrived later, I decided not to touch the upper chambers at all

Very interesting article, thank you :efefae4566::). By the way: for me, once the problem of the bearings in the new versions has been solved, the biggest problem is the weakness of the lower housings and the proximity to the ground. I have tried Hulaj protections but they broke on the first impact (and that was at low speed). The aluminum hexagon where you grip the key to remove the suspension, breaks and, finally, it will be impossible to remove the suspension.

That whole area, in my opinion, has a bad design. I have 5000 km on the V11 and I use it essentially in the mountains, it seems to me a serious problem. I have tried all kinds of protections without success.

Edited by Halig

“Not touching” and “using 0psi” are completely different things. Getting a new wheel and not checking any of the pressures is simply crap shoot. The wheels I’ve received have had tire pressures anywhere between 15 and 45 psi. “Not touching” it before the first ride would’ve been simply stupid. The top chamber on my V11 did end up being approximately 50psi when the main chamber was inflated, but to trust that ona new wheel would be foolish. 

The sag (=riding height) is determined by the combination of the bottom and top chambers. The bottom chamber recommendations are ONLY for 50psi on top. Zeroing the top chambers you should decrease the main chambers for something like 20-40psi. The recommendations being a bit high to begin with, zero on top is simply a dangerous combination.

I used to ride with zero at the top. That way you can feel the suspension the most, but it also takes away from the stability the most. Nothing wrong with trying, but whatever you put in either chamber, ALWAYS check your sag! Too little sag can take you flying. 35mm seems to be the optimal. And of course ALWAYS put identical pressures to the shock on other side.

• Like 2

What you explain is very logical. It also matches my experience. I had a damaged shock absorber (it was losing all the air from the upper chamber) and the driving difference is great. Thank you for your always complete explanations :)

• Like 1