Gotway mten3 led strip and headlight not turning on

Soup

Hi I'm a relatively new rider and have owned this mten3 for a month and the led strip and headlight no longer turn. I haven't had any serious crashes on this, just minor bailing off of it at very low speeds while learning. Wondering if just the connector for the lights just got loosened from the bumps?

• Like 1

The led connection could have loosened up but that likely would not be related to the headlight not working. What I think would be more likely would be the 5v output on the control board no longer work. The only way to know forsure would be to disassemble the wheel.

Unplug the led and headlight connectors. Turn on the wheel (while it's on its side so the motor doesn't engage lol) and then test both ports with a multimeter. The led port should read 5v and the headlight port should be 12v. The headlight might also be 5v, Im not exactly sure. If the multimeter doesn't show a voltage then that would confirm that the board is bad and your distributor should supply a new one if it's under warranty.

There's a couple of youtube videos that show the mten3 teardown process and it is a little bit more involved than working on some of the other wheels. After you take it apart a few times you get more used to the process. I've taken my mten3 apart several times more than I would have liked to but I like to think that the self-repair aspect comes with the hobby. Good luck!

Edited by SorenStarr
Grammar
  • Like 1

I took the wheel apart and none of the connectors were loosened and the front usb port also wasn't working so my guess is the 5v output on the board is pretty much dead

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had the same issue for about 6 months now. There are no connectors were loosened. The wheel has been functioning well without any lights. Since I am about to open the wheel again for tire changing, I am not sure should I also change the control board entirely or not necessarily. Or is this issue repairable?

• Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 2:15 PM, Soup said:

the led strip and headlight no longer turn

and....... this is a problem because???

(joke, it's only a joke—I find the LEDs to be, well, strange. I even have the @ShanesPlanet special not-as-many-led-holes Roll.nz and still think what's left showing are ridiculous, except for checking battery level. And the headlight is next to useless. Not entirely useless, but I wouldn't miss it!)

I do understand wanting the thing to work properly, and you're within warranty so I'd get with your reseller. They should make it right.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CHGK said:

I had the same issue for about 6 months now. There are no connectors were loosened. The wheel has been functioning well without any lights. Since I am about to open the wheel again for tire changing, I am not sure should I also change the control board entirely or not necessarily. Or is this issue repairable?

I have used my strobe light headlight a time or two: just to be a nuisance or visible around the airport helicopter, really. Be sure to double and triple check the connectors. As for repair, I dont know if I would or not. I so rarely use the lights, I'd maybe just ignore it. Altho, Im also a maintenance snob and the lights to indicate battery are useful. I kinda prefer all lights out and riding by moonlight. Sneaking around and surprising the animals is just too much damn fun...:ph34r:

I'd say if the board to try and fix it is $50 or less, sure. If its a $100 part, probably not. Just use an app to check battery and buy a badass flashlight :). Of course, MY mtens were only $500 per. I guess if you paid around a grand, you may spend $100 on the lighting? Screw  the lights, buy a cover instead.. Yup, my posting surely helped a lot...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Maybe just purchase and use a hand held torch.

Cree brand bulbs are exceptional.

Will give adjustable brightness of light in the thousands of lumens.

Fixed headlights are not as good as a torch that shines where needed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 2:15 PM, Soup said:

Hi I'm a relatively new rider and have owned this mten3 for a month and the led strip and headlight no longer turn. I haven't had any serious crashes on this, just minor bailing off of it at very low speeds while learning. Wondering if just the connector for the lights just got loosened from the bumps?

I had the same problem with my mten3.  In my case somehow I had switched modes to no headlight/leds.  I pushed the power button with the wheel on and changed the headlight/led modes until they switched to a mode I wanted.  I don't really care for the leds so I disconnected them on my Tesla T3.

Edited by M640