Monster pro beeper sucks!

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't even hear the beeps at all on my Mpro. They are pathetic. Opening the wheel to look, I find they totally changed their design. The beeper is no longer an all in one design. The frequency generation is done on the motherboard now. Not on the beeper like before. This means adding a stronger beeper doesn't do any good( I tried ). It just gets the same wimpy little current as the original one. 

I tried adding a DC to DC step up voltage regulator in line. But the signal is pulsed so short the step up can only boost it about 1 volt. 

I'm thinking the modulated voltage driving the original beeper might be strong enough to fire a little 12v relay connected to a 12+v source. 

• Like 1

What about an audio amp connected to the source (motherboard this time) and the speakers?
That should get to any level desirable with the right gain ;)

A Class-D amp should be cheap and powerful enough.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, supercurio said:

What about an audio amp connected to the source (motherboard this time) and the speakers?
That should get to any level desirable with the right gain ;)

A Class-D amp should be cheap and powerful enough.

I didn't think about that. Great idea!

• Like 1

Careful, on all the previous Gotway boards I've messed with I've measured up to 20v coming from the beeper port when it turns on. That could make the audio input on a cheap class-D amp pretty unhappy if it's not protected...

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Oh by the way, some self promotion, it's not the same but I can recommend my EUC Alarm app to address this now.

It's an Android app, and there will be a few ms latency compared to the actual beeper, but that will do pretty much what the OP wants 😉
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=supercurio.eucalarm

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2