New to EUCs no experience at all

CNR lots of good advice here. One thing I would add is everyone is different so don't get too mentally attached to learning in any specific timeframe. You might knock it out of the park on Day #1. You might struggle for 3 weeks+. You have to run your own race. It will happen so just take each day at a time and have fun. :clap3:

• Like 3

Something that I don't see mentioned a lot is all the reasons why you may need to hop off and roll or potentially even carry the EUC.  Possibly the reason for this is that a lot of people here are in places where this isn't necessary.  However, where I am there are occasionally messed up sidewalks with no good way to get on the grass and back on, or bumpy grass that I don't want to ride on, or temporary obstacles.  Or sometimes there are narrow areas, and pedestrians don't like crossing EUCs on the path, so I'll hop off and walk behind the EUC as I pass them, to be polite.  There are sidewalks where I have to either jump up the curb (which I can't do) or get off and roll it up over the curb.  There are just so many situations where you might need to roll or carry the EUC.  Or maybe you'll have none.  For me, there are enough that I really need to be able to pick it up and carry for short distances.  This varies so much by your city and where you ride, but don't underestimate the value of a light wheel.  As long as you can lift and carry the 18XL or whatever, I'm sure it's great.  Just better to be too light than too heavy.  Personally I would prefer the 16s, but that's me.  If you get the 16s, and it works for you, there's no need to upgrade.  If you want to upgrade, as many people do, and you have the money, you certainly can; that doesn't mean you need to upgrade, and you can have plenty of fun and utility even with a slower (like 18-22mph) wheel.  I have the V10F, but I don't ever hit the max 25mph.  I hit maybe 20mph, usually 15-18mph.  On busy streets I take sidewalks.  On small streets cars go around me, or I get on the sidewalk if cars are approaching from behind.  I don't try to "keep up with traffic", so I never go 25.  Too many bumps and potholes and chances to crash.  You won't know how fast you want to go though until you have ridden, but if money is a concern, I doubt the 16s will be lacking and require an upgrade. 

(I am assuming the 840wh battery is more than enough for you.  If not, get something bigger.  I am great with 960wh, but battery anxiety just ruins everything in the fun department.)

• Like 3

What's the point you're seeing? The 18XL has one of the best trolley handles in the game if you're worried about situations where you need to walk the wheel. I have never in five years of riding needed to carry a wheel anywhere, so that's a bit of a red herring I think. I suspect there is a certain amount of 'the-wheel-I-ride-is-better-than-any-wheel-I-don't' logic going on in the previous post. I'd gently suggest that the advice from people who have experience on both of your candidate wheels may be more relevant than those who have experience on only one.

Perhaps the most important point to consider is whether you ever want to ride with other people. If you ride in isolation, then a smaller wheel may be enough for you forever. We had a guy who thought that his vintage Airwheel with a top speed of 18kms was fast enough for years. Then he came to one of our sessions. At first he thought we were insane to be going 40+ km/h on wheels. Then I lent him my 18XL and we went for a little group ride and after only a few minutes he was riding as fast as any of us and taking video with his cellphone camera at the same time. Sadly, we ruined that Airwheel for him... :rolleyes:

In any event, if you plan to ride with other people you will regret your 16S purchase almost immediately because you won't be able to keep up. If you've no plans to do that then you'll be likely happy with whatever wheel you get.

Also, 18XL isn't an especially big wheel by today's standards. 

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1

@winterwheel: Weight is the last of my concerns (the e-scooter i was considering weights 30Kg) but i see that for many can be a valid concern esp. if you use the subway a lot, which i do but i don't mind rolling up/down the stairs something heavy. 

The main reason i'm considering the 16S as an option again is that i feel that at the end i'm not so likely to overgrow it in less than a year or so and even then, as many of the posters commented, it's nimble and sporty enough to be fun. Combine this with the fact that the 18XL is marginally within my budget (if not overstressing it a bit) and it's at the same price (190€ difference) with the Speedway 5 (which is a "sure bet" for me since i know i can ride it) and the 16S seems to have advantages, enough to be an option again.  I will leave my thoughts "ripe" for a couple of days, this usually works, cause right now the more i think about it the more indecisive i become.  

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

Perhaps the most important point to consider is whether you ever want to ride with other people

Oh, don't get me started on this, i'd love to, but believe it or not i have never seen an EUC live, never, not in my neighborhood nor in any of the places i've been, it would be such an easier decision if there was someone, just to see one up close, so for the time being at least, that's a no, i won't be riding with others.    

Edited by CNR

One other thing to keep in mind... if you do find a need to upgrade in the  future it likely won't be too difficult to sell your old wheel. There's a little loss of value in going from new to used, but after that they seem to hold their value pretty well.

3 hours ago, winterwheel said:

I have never in five years of riding needed to carry a wheel anywhere, so that's a bit of a red herring I think. I suspect there is a certain amount of 'the-wheel-I-ride-is-better-than-any-wheel-I-don't' logic going on in the previous post. I'd gently suggest that the advice from people who have experience on both of your candidate wheels may be more relevant than those who have experience on only one.

I agree; if I, like you, never once had to pick up an EUC except to get it out the front door, weight wouldn't be an issue.  I just wanted to state that occasionally picking up the wheel is a requirement for some people, so weight can be an issue for those people/environments. 

Yes, I think my wheel is best for me.  That's why I bought it. :) Except for its lack of suspension, it is ideal and I would still use it even if money was not a factor. 

That was my point. Everyone has different priorities.  My whole reply was to ONLY address the carry factor, which as you say is a complete non-issue for lots of people.  It is not a non-issue for me, so I wanted to share that.

Lets not forget this op is a newbie to EUC,s.Its irresponsible to recommend a high powered wheel to someone just starting out.Let him walk before he can run.!By the time he has mastered a smaller slower wheel ,the Sherman, v11 and gotways  will be used for boat anchors and the next generation will be upon us !He can then throw extraordinary amounts of  cash at dubious Chinese QC like the rest of us!

13 hours ago, PatrickD said:

Yes, I think my wheel is best for me.  That's why I bought it. :) Except for its lack of suspension, it is ideal and I would still use it even if money was not a factor. 

I experience the same issue, the only wheel worth riding is the one I happen to be riding at the moment; right now I don't see how anyone can live with anything but an EX. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

I disagree. An 18XL is an awesome wheel for people starting out.

:clap3: and for continued enjoyment across various needs. Its been a couple years and my 18l is the most used wheel I have. Its not exactly light, but I dont think 5lbs either way would make much difference. I can carry it up flights of stairs, but rarely is there ever a need. Nowadays, even having to jump curbs is rare. Of course, choosing to jump curbs is common. Just as a plain honda civic can do 110mph, an euc can go faster than need be. Having extra gas (battery) in the tank and being able to go faster than you need to, is never an issue in the sedan is it? Quite the opposite. Its much better to have more than you need, than to need more than you have. Headroom on an euc is not just about range and speed, its a safety issue. Unless you just go WAY too big and heavy for your needs, not much is being lost by investing in hedroom. I dont think either of the wheels you mention, are crossing into the area of being dificult to use for a newbie. Some of the HUGE and heavy wheels can be hard to manage, but both the wheels you are thinking of, are NOT at that end of the scale.  I personally think that 16" and 18" are damn close in most areas, but perhaps the 18 is a shade more comfy on street and the 16 a shade better on dirt? Of course, thats only if all other factors are similar. Dont underestimate how easy it is to run a 1000ah battery flat when you're caught up in having too much fun. Either way you go, you gotta buy one, and then its all a moot point, as youll buy another regardless. Not to replace but to compliment. Outgrowing a wheel? Blashpemy, I still ride a stupid skateboard from 20yrs ago, and an mten nearly daily, havent outgrown either.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1