General life expectancy of a unicycle

multivir

Hey everyone,

My unicycle has to take some beating during daily use.

For those who have been riding longer than I did - How long did yours generally last (with small repairs) until they have to be replaced?

Thanks,

M.

It would be interesting to know if and when anyone has worn out their unicycle.

I am putting some wear on my 14-inch tire and got a hole in my tube that I had to patch. Of course, lots of dings and scrapes from when I was learning and even now an occasional bail-out. But otherwise it seems to be going strong after about 50 miles (80km).

The specs say most of these battery packs can do 1,000 charge cycles. Lately I have been charging it 2 times a day at least, so maybe I will use that up in a couple of years. By then I will have replaced the tires and tube at least once I am sure! 

I am waiting for my Gotway 18" (fast version) to be delivered from Jane.

I am certainly hoping for more than 50 miles out of my machine though.

I ordered the latest, High-End, Gen 2 wheel - and it is my first one - so if it works out well, I will be buying them for my children, siblings, nieces, father, aunt & uncle - (All of the people that have shown an interest in skiing).

Multivir.  Since nobody else addressed the Rockwheel question I guess I'll have to answer.  Basically every single geared rockwheel ever made will always end up "stuttering" after a few months of riding.  Here are video examples but you need a facebook account to access:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/758073394290626

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/780622725369026

I bought my Solowheel in June 2014 and from the first day on, I have kept track of the km I rode with it.

So, today, after 316 days of ownership, I have travelled almost 2400 km with it.

During that time, I had countless people try it on the street and because of that, it got really bruised on the outside.

I bought a bottle of shiny plastidip and sprayed the casing and it looks much better now.

After 1970 km, my Solowheel suddenly died on my and would not switch on. I was very disappointed at that time.

The next day, the importer gave me a loaner Solowheel and my unit was repaired under warranty. It turned out that the ECU-board had become loose (probably from all the falls), and needed replacement.

After about 10 days, I got my own Solowheel back and it has been running fine ever since. 

@MVM, How did you manage keeping track of every KM you traveled? Did you stick bike computer or something like that to the wheel? I plan to do that with a cheap bike computer under $10, but don't know if it keeps "permanent" mileage in odometer. Just checking. 

@MVM, How did you manage keeping track of every KM you traveled? Did you stick bike computer or something like that to the wheel? I plan to do that with a cheap bike computer under $10, but don't know if it keeps "permanent" mileage in odometer. Just checking. 

No I did nothing of the kind. I tried some apps on my phone, but most seem to be very unreliable.

What I did is just retrace my routes afterwards on a internet routeplanner. There are many stretches than I am doing regularly, like going to work, shopping, ride through town.

So of all these, I simply add the numbers to a spreadsheet where I list every day.

For example, today, I did the last part of my commute by Solowheel (2x2.4 km), went for a ride during lunch (3 km), went out to buy something when I got home (2x1.5 km) and afterwards went to the supermarket the long way because of the nice weather (2x1.1 km).

So all these add up to 13.0 km. 

I bought a bottle of shiny plastidip and sprayed the casing and it looks much better now.

Great idea! Do you find that it tends to peel off after a while? How did you prepare the surface before spraying?

Great idea! Do you find that it tends to peel off after a while? How did you prepare the surface before spraying?

I just searched for this online because I had never heard of it. I ended up on Amazon & the FAQ's say that it is only for cosmetic use & not for protection. Wouldn't varnish or something do the job?

the FAQ's say that it is only for cosmetic use & not for protection.

I agree with that, it's mainly for fun and decoration. You can see cars done with it, it comes out really flat instead of shiny. If the surface gets too scratched up or you just want to change the color, just peel off the old color and re-spray. 

No, hasn't peeled of at any point. Mind you, it's not the original PlastiDip I use, but some other brand (Motip).

I just removed the pedals, cleaned the outside case thoroughly with soap, dried it and taped off the parts that I didn't want to spray.

There are new scratches again of course so I will probably do it again at some point, but the case still looks very good.

Archived