MTen3 and jumping

Student4Life

I put 650 miles on a Ninebot E+, I can jump it confidently over a 5" curb.  Started in the level grass just jumping up while riding.  Then worked my way down a driveway apron.

Now I have a new MTen3.  Big motor and 512Wh battery, it weighs more like 24 lbs than 22 but still lighter than the E+ at 27 lbs.

So when I jump the MTen3 I can't grip it to pick it up, it just slides and my feet leave the pedals.  So what is the technique for jumping with the MTen3?  I'm sure I'm going to wipe out... (I guess that's just a matter of how high the curb is)

You can certainly diy some pads for your forefoot to hook on to assist the lift for jumps. You might have to remove the stock lower pads though & I'd use velcro instead of just adhesive for obvious reasons.

That said, the Mten3 isn't the wheel for doing jumps or jump type tricks. One of its known weaknesses is the axle & there's been numerous cases of axle breakage due to overstress cause by impacts & jumps. The rock hard 10" tubeless tire doesn't help either. 

If skatepark tricks & jumps are in the program, I'd get a MCM5v2 instead. Wait....I do have it🤩! The 14"x2.5" tire is a pretty good shock absorber plus it has GW's standard 24mm axle used in all of its big wheels (hollow bore motors excepted ofcos). Its also significantly more powerful & has a higher topend with more safety margins. Amazingly it still retains most of the Mten3's playfulness.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

That said, the Mten3 isn't the wheel for doing jumps or jump type tricks. One of its known weaknesses is the axle & there's been numerous cases of axle breakage due to overstress cause by impacts & jumps.

^ this

ACtC-3cywu1K37xKEEQPGOJpdnNOcXo_YKDt1pAZ

• Like 3

I am not jumping jumping, but I wanted a little better control dropping off a curb or when hitting bumps. I'd also like to try jumping up onto a curb if the need arises. I just cut some closed-cell foam I had and velcroed it to the shell in between the pads. It gives me a bit of an edge under which to tuck my toes. My roll.nz neoprene cover also helps hold it in place. 

IMG-9612.jpg

• Like 3

Nice. "MGV Drop Pads". Makes me want to make something similar for under my 16Xs roll.nz. Slender enough to fit under the cover, but extra grip for small hops. How thick did you go with it?

2 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Nice. "MGV Drop Pads". Makes me want to make something similar for under my 16Xs roll.nz. Slender enough to fit under the cover, but extra grip for small hops. How thick did you go with it?

RollNZ covers stretch a LOT. I found you can easily fit 3/4" under on both sides of mine. Tho I nixxed the idea promptly after bothering.

2 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I used a 1/8' thick foam strip with two 1/2" strips of velcro to match the depth of the existing pads. Then I have two 1/2" pieces that form the shape.

• Like 1