Looking for Electric Unicycle for Giants.

Hello, I'm 6 foot 9 inches tall and in the ballpark of 380-400lbs. I used to ride a segway as a kid but found that the arm was mostly useless and often got in the way in navigating. I stumbled onto this by accident, thought it was perfect for me and was looking for something to help with daily/weekly commuting activities. Unfortunately the weight limits I am seeing here for nearly all of the products I have found are for me if I was 14 years old again. I really need some help in this department of finding what is available. Cheers. :)

Can't say I'm a fan of the wheel but your needs are almost textbook written for the Gotway Monster Pro. Whatever its not, its definitely a wheel made for big boys! You can also look at the Sherman, EX & EX.N but those are noticeably smaller although still large for most of us😁

O & welcome to the community

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

Can't say I'm a fan of the wheel but your needs are almost textbook written for the Gotway Monster Pro. Whatever its not, its definitely a wheel made for big boys! You can also look at the Sherman, EX & EX.N but those are noticeably smaller although still large for most of us😁

O & welcome to the community

I seen the gotway monster pro but it says it has a maximum load of 120kg (264.5 lbs) while the Sherman has a maximum weight of 330 pounds. I don't wanna be a potato for too long to lose enough weight. What does EX and EX.N stand for?

7 minutes ago, Jacked said:

I seen the gotway monster pro but it says it has a maximum load of 120kg (264.5 lbs) while the Sherman has a maximum weight of 330 pounds. I don't wanna be a potato for too long to lose enough weight. What does EX and EX.N stand for?

If we go with mfgr specs, then sadly its likely there's no EUC (&perhaps PEV) suitable for you as I can't think of 1 that's rated for 400lbs. Perhaps others more knowledgeable might wanna chime in on this.

Far's the acronym EX or EX.N goes, 'fraid you'd have to write to the mfgr for that top secret info. Goodluck getting a response from Gotway though🤪

• Like 1

Hi!

The problem might be the pedals not being suited for your weight, and simply breaking (too) easily. The powerful EUCs themselves should be powerful enough if you don't overdo it (no hard accelerations, stay away from the top speeds, don't jump curbs).

As far as powerful wheels:

Begode (=Gotway) RS - 19 incher, available as HS (high speed) or HT (high torque) version

Begode EX.N or EX - 19/20 incher without or with suspension, respectively

Begode Monster Pro - 24 incher, I would never recommend it to a new rider (too unwieldy, might break too easily if falling over), and it doesn't seem to be very good (most of all shitty braking) so I wouldn't recommend it to any rider tbh

Veteran Sherman - 19/20 incher, the performance wheel of 2020

Inmotion V11 - 19 incher, should be strong enough too. Great build quality and great features, it's a popular wheel for a reason! Maybe not quite a scrazy strong as the others.

-

You can't go wrong with an RS and probably the V11. Those are the standard options for not too crazy expensive "18 inchers" (18-20 only differs in the tires), with a focus on pure performance (RS) or overall nice package (V11). What range would you like to have? Maybe you simply need a bigger battery than those.

The Sherman is maybe the best wheel of them all (especially for you, it is probably the most powerful wheel due to its crazy battery), but it's a bit more pricy and heavy. And it has a regular axle (if I'm not mistaken), which might be a weak point. On the other hand, if they rate it for 150kg/330lbs instead of 120....

The Sherman would be my #1 recommendation if it isn't simply too expensive for your liking.

The EX isn't bad, too, but it is also a bit more expensive, and heavy. The people who have one seem to love it and think of it as a sleeper hit. Not sure if the suspension could deal with your weight, so I'd tend towards the EX.N. (?)

-

Truth is, all of this is just guesswork, only you can find out how one of the wheels in question can deal with your weight. I think they should be ok if you ride on the conservative side. But 400lbs is simply a lot:efefc8626c: Inform yourself about custom pedal options that might be a bit stronger (I'm a bit worried about pedals, but it's just a hunch, nothing substantiated).

Side note, I'd definitely focus on good protective gear. Not because I don't trust the wheels, but because your weight in a crash has a lot of power behind it.

Finally: if the part of your weight that isn't muscle goes away... every pound helps;)

-

Short answer: Sherman, or maybe a well-built electric scooter?

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Like someone else mentioned, none of these wheels are rated for your weight by the manufacturer.  My guess is though, that if you stay far away from the top speed possible of whatever wheel you get, there is probably more wiggle room than the manufacturer posts.  Note that although the new hollow core motors (RS 19, EX) are having some issues, they might be a good choice for you as it would spread your weight out instead of concentrating it all on one tiny axel.  They are designed to take more abuse.  

Your height isn't an issue for any wheel (except perhaps when it comes to reaching the trolley handle).  I'm 6'7" and have had no problems riding, although I expect I look goofier than most on my 16x.  

My recommendation if you are set on trying this out is to take it slow with whatever wheel you get until the wheel proves it can handle your size, and don't push its limits.  Make sure to gear up and watch out for high winds (for real on that last part... your height means that you will catch a lot more wind and can easily overpower the wheel).

Good luck!

I think the 16X is a good bet. The smaller wheel gives a mechanical advantage for torque, and those are rated for 330lbs. Don't jump, don't pursue high speed, don't ride in the hills and you will be fine. I would also look at the RS torque, which may have a more robust pedal column.