Burned up motor.... MTen3 - trying to repair

EJR

Here’s a video trying to describe what happened. 

seems I pushed it to hard. 

I’ll attach screenshots of the final stats from the motor. 

<iframe class="rumble" width="640" height="360" src="https://rumble.com/embed/vbg5zl/?pub=idwx7" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like 1

Ouch, that sucks. I need be more careful with mine I guess. I've hit the overload until it cut off, in my yard on purpose twice. It beeps and just stopped. I hit some kind of max load beep once while climbing a steep hill and accelerating wildly. It only beeped but kept going. Sorry to see yours blew up instead of shut off. How many miles you put on it and was it a tough life? I always worry about wedging my wheels against something like a door frame or wall on accident. Let us know what the motor cost was, if you decide to repair it.

Probably not the motor but a Mosfet.

Disconnect the 3 phases wire and see if the motor spins freely. If so this confirms one or more Mosfet fried...

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

The tire still seems to move quite freely. If shorted, it would be very hard to move. The beeps might just be the "help I have fallen over" beeps.

But I guess the burned smell seals the deal and means you do have some damage.

Killing a motor is nearly impossible. It's probably the board. Check it, and the motor power cables. Just smell where the damage is;)

• Like 3

On 2/22/2021 at 1:16 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Ouch, that sucks. I need be more careful with mine I guess. I've hit the overload until it cut off, in my yard on purpose twice. It beeps and just stopped. I hit some kind of max load beep once while climbing a steep hill and accelerating wildly. It only beeped but kept going. Sorry to see yours blew up instead of shut off. How many miles you put on it and was it a tough life? I always worry about wedging my wheels against something like a door frame or wall on accident. Let us know what the motor cost was, if you decide to repair it.

It had a pretty tough life before me, but I just bought it about 2 weeks ago!  It’s a very sad day for me...  hopefully fixing it won’t be too elusive!

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 1:24 AM, pico said:

Probably not the motor but a Mosfet.

Disconnect the 3 phases wire and see if the motor spins freely. If so this confirms one or more Mosfet fried...

Thanks so much for the idea!  

I dug in further and haven’t found any burning damage, including on the mosfets.  The board does seem to be mostly okay given that it is sending out data via Bluetooth and it is beeping and turning on lights... just not getting any power to the motor it seems.  

17 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The tire still seems to move quite freely. If shorted, it would be very hard to move. The beeps might just be the "help I have fallen over" beeps.

But I guess the burned smell seals the deal and means you do have some damage.

Killing a motor is nearly impossible. It's probably the board. Check it, and the motor power cables. Just smell where the damage is;)

I wish I had a better sniffer!  It got burnt up when I was out of town, so a day later when I opened it up, there’s not a smell, and no burn marks to be found so far. 

Just for clarification.

A "fried" Mosfet does not necessarily show any sign of damage. It is just shorted (short between Source and Drain).

This is a 3 phase "smart" motor. ^_^

At start up it sends a short pulse across two of the motor phase wires and senses movement thru the Hall sensor. If it detects nothing it stops and say it is unsafe to continue!

In your case. It detected an anomaly and rather than turning the wheel wires into molten copper it shuts itself down.:whistling:

This happened once on my X3. I just located the fried Mosfet with a multimeter, took note of the type and bought a few spares and Voila! :smartass:

Two types are used for a given Wheel for a total 6. (2X3)

Advice: Just buy a new board (about $200 ) if you don't know what you are doing...:D 

Warning: Do not forget to press the start button after disconnecting the battery.

High voltage are still present on the board unless you give a chance to the main capacitor to fully discharge.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Can you post a detailed picture of the board/interior? Maybe we see something.

Check the motor cables for damage/melting/anything unusual.

What does the wheel do if it's upright and you turn it on?

If the motor is shorted, the tire would be nearly impossible to rotate. The one-finger-turning you do wouldn't be possible. So this is a curious case.

On 2/23/2021 at 2:43 AM, pico said:

Just for clarification.

A "fried" Mosfet does not necessarily show any sign of damage. It is just shorted (short between Source and Drain).

This is a 3 phase "smart" motor. ^_^

At start up it sends a short pulse across two of the motor phase wires and senses movement thru the Hall sensor. If it detects nothing it stops and say it is unsafe to continue!

In your case. It detected an anomaly and rather than turning the wheel wires into molten copper it shuts itself down.:whistling:

This happened once on my X3. I just located the fried Mosfet with a multimeter, took note of the type and bought a few spares and Voila! :smartass:

Two types are used for a given Wheel for a total 6. (2X3)

Advice: Just buy a new board (about $200 ) if you don't know what you are doing...:D 

Warning: Do not forget to press the start button after disconnecting the battery.

High voltage are still present on the board unless you give a chance to the main capacitor to fully discharge.

I hope this helps.

Thanks a ton for the directions!!  This didn’t occur to me - I’m working on learning how to test these components, and I’ll see if I can hunt down the problem!

I fix everything that breaks, so this shouldn’t be out of my scope, I think!

thank you everyone!! Very thankful for your time and comments!!

• Like 2