HELP... TILT BACK.. WHY? Lol

So Would say I’m new to this... but a rider already.. take my wheel in early morning from home to work.. and back.. Live in NJ and morning was 18 degrees no issue...  but today after work.. it’s 15 degrees.. pulled it out of a warm truck and started to ride back home .. almost immediately MSP HS started to Tilt back something serious.. jumped off.. reset power tried again.. and again did it.. was left walking it in freezing temps all the way home.. it stated on app it was 94 % battery charge.. 

Can someone please give me some insight on this... what causes this and what can I do ?? Hopefully not broken... patiently waiting my EUC FAM 

Ohh I also alittle heavier now at about 215 lbs also just In case 

you're in the 'review' section of the forum. What you speak of sounds like a wheel issue. I'd suggest letting it warm up and try again. If persists, contact your retailer to advise of any remedy that won't violate a warranty. Tiltback with plenty of battery and very low amperage demands and low speeds is definitely a wheel fault. I dont think gotway has easily installed fw updates or I'd reccomend doing that. Since tiltback is software controlled, you're more than likely looking at something that wont be easily diagnosed. Have you tried recording a csv file or tour (eucw) and reviewing the data when this happens? Thats pretty much the only way I know of easily getting realitime data with user tools available. At least you would be able to tell if a speed sensor or amperage sensor or battery level sensor is repotring total bullshit and causing the software to tilt you back.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, SdotS said:

Ohh I pretty much turned it on for about 15 - 20 min and went off.. is that enough warm up ? U think.. it is freezing in NJ today 15 deg. Lol

I doubt its temperature related, if this happens immediately after leaving a warm location. Electronics LIKE cold, its just the batteries that don't. I wouldnt suspect a few minutes of cold is enough to drain a battery from 90% under little load. First thing you need to do is to collect as much information from the wheel as you can. I have ridden in freezing temperatures. It was harder on me that it was the wheel. We have many Canadians who ride and if cold was all it took, theyd be bitchin bloody murder. No need to turn the wheel on to 'warm'  it like a car. Its not generating  much heat at all, just sitting idle. "warm up" is in reference to putting the wheel in a NON freezing location so the batteries aren't frosty nipple cold from the start (not that it matters much). Also, warming plastic before working on it is a good idea.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Ohh ok yeah that makes sense.. what about storing the wheel in those temps.. 15 deg. Through my work day.. Is that an issue...

secondly, on the GW app.. I ride in Hard mode. Dnt understand each mode either.. if u can explain? And it only allows me to set tilt back at 25/kph max... but neveR got to that speed ... 

can’t believe this thing is bad.. hoping not..

in the am was fine.. but I try it again in the am.. just wanted to know if I can or did something in the app maybe.. by mistake or what I can do to test 

I am by no means a guru on any of this, so take my suggestions as merely suggestions from an idiot. Storing batteries in the cold may reduce the charge you have available. I dont know about longevity and anythng much, but i don't think battery temps are the root of this particular issue. As for you can't belive its gone bad? Ummm hello... its an euc AND a freakin' gotway. Im quite shocked that your surprised. Its not like MOST gotway wheels have issue, but surely we can both agree that euc problems are not that rare.

Ride mode is not going to be the root cause of this either. Only in a total software snafu, would I think riding modes will do much more than vary minor changes. Modes are just a way to tweak how the wheel reacts to your user inputs. Im a medium mode guy, but its all just personal preference. I dont think ANY of the modes have anything to do with tiltback speed. Im fairly certain tiltback is based on speeds and somewhat battery charge levels. I dont have a gotway app, I rely solely on EUCW for my stats. I have an apple with darknessbot, but aside from checking battery now and then, I find it very weak in compare to my data logging worflow in eucw. So, I cant comment on how the gotway app handles maximum speeds. It is quite posible that you have inadvertantly changed the tiltbakc speed to a VERY low speed and this is what you are seeing. Double check you app settings for sure. If you have a driod device, do yourself a favor and use eucw for setting up your tiltback speeds and alarms. This will enable you to ride and track live data of various parameters WHILE you ride or at a later date. You can click on my eucw signature and a tour should show up to show you what i mean by datalogging.

If it only does it AFTER you've let ehe wheel sit in freezing temps all day, but doesnt do it when you leave froma  warm room... well.... thats a pretty obvious thing to look in to. When in doubt, alwyas diagnose things by trying to think of what EXACT conditions may have changed. Can you think of any EXACT conditions that may differ from when it works and when it doesnt?  Charge that puppy all the way up, fire up your app to double check speeds and battery, and see if it works. If it is flawed, wouldnt it do it again? If it doesnt have a flaw, you could then leave it in freezing temps but change NOTHING else. If you find the problem arises.... its obviously temp related. Remember, diagnostics is a test in methodical thinking, not overall knowledge. Methodically think about what may have changed, what exactly its doing and what it couldnt possibly be. Thru the process of elimination and testing, you shold be able to come to just a couple reasons and eventaully a conclusion. Also, dont forget your retailer. People who sell lots of wheels, are a great source for knowing if any common problem happens. I mean shit, who do you think people bitch to, when they have a problem? Yup, if its common, any gotway dealer will haev some insight for you.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Ok man.. once again Shane.. u prove

To be a really cool and helpful human being ! Lol I appreciate you .. will do.. have it sitting at home now , can’t charge it but app says it’s 94 % I tried to calibrate to level.. and hoping for best tomorrow morning.. or will have to Uber .. lol.. I hope it’s nothing.. although it’s a Gotway.. purchase from e wheels.. shit ain’t cheap.. and I hope they do right by the customer for any repairs or things that need to b done .. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

15 degrees Fahrenheit I presume?

Don't store your wheel in your car! Treat it like a dog, don't keep it in the heat or freezing cold. Take it inside with you.

The batteries don't work well when (nearly) frozen. Presumably they were so weak that the wheel tilted you back due to the low voltage/high voltage drop/low power delivery they had then.

If you have cold batteries, switch the wheel on and do a few pendulums to warm them up. Just having the wheel on will need almost no power and therefore not heat them up much. Since batteries are mostly just a bunch of metal, they can need quite a lot of heat before they are warm. Think of having a brick-sized block of metal and how long it would need to get warm.

Riding at low temps is no issue, as long as you start with warm batteries (taking the wheel from outside from inside where you stored it), the usage will keep them reasonably warm. But having a cooled down battery from lying in a car for hours is a problem.

You mention "warm truck" but presumably the car was cold before and only briefly warmed up recently? If your batteries were still cold, that might be an explanation for the tiltback.

This is great info! Does a cold battery realy have such little power that at 94% charge it can easily be loaded down to tiltback levels? I know cold batteries dont work nearly as long, but i had no idea they were so succeptible to voltage drop so easily. If it is such a huge difference between warm and cold batteries, then that could explain the problem. Easy enought o check, just compare cold vs warm responses. Sucks we cant store these in hot summer or cold winter cars. Sadly, i just KNOW its gna happen to mine eventually.

12 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

This is great info! Does a cold battery realy have such little power that at 94% charge it can easily be loaded down to tiltback levels? I know cold batteries dont work nearly as long, but i had no idea they were so succeptible to voltage drop so easily. If it is such a huge difference between warm and cold batteries, then that could explain the problem. Easy enought o check, just compare cold vs warm responses. Sucks we cant store these in hot summer or cold winter cars. Sadly, i just KNOW its gna happen to mine eventually.

I don't know anything about batteries. If they are extremely cold, would they still show the normal charge percentage? I don't know. But if they do, it's not a stretch to assume that a nearly-inert battery would have extreme voltage drop as soon as you utilize it. Aka some kind of warning tiltback very soon.

15F is -10 degrees Celsius!! Aka "nasty below freezing cold" unless you're a Russian where that's just mild weather;) Hearing that and "wheel stored in car during work"... not much imagination needed to guess (it's just a guess) what the problem is.

If everything works fine after the wheel has been inside (warm) long enough, that answers the question. If the wheel still doesn't work then (e.g. not charge to 100%), either something else was the problem to begin with, or the cold damaged the batteries. If the car/batteries weren't actually cold to begin with, that also means it's something else.

I don't know anything about batteries.

• Like 2

Gotcha. So between the both of us, our battery knowledge amounts to less liquor than $3 will get ya off the top shelf :) . I do know that heat typically destroys old sla batteries worse than cold. Altho cold tend to allow them become uncharged faster at idle. But we aint talking old school sla, not that my knowledge of it would apply anyhow. It could be entirely possible that at a cold rested state, the batteries could dip quickly. I just assumed that 94% would at least be enough for mild riding demands for a little while. Hmm.. I really dont know. I it only happens after sitting in a below freezing car, I do know the solution tho.. haha.    Surely battery companies have conducted sub zero testing to see how it effects amperage draw and voltage levels under load, in compare to warmer temps. Holy F*KN shit, why does it always have to be a battery thread? I've read so many pages and still dont know shit. Tbh, I may know LESS now, than before I joined the forums....

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 2 weeks later...