Mten 3 died!

Cary

Need your help! 

My 13 yr old nephew had a little tumble with his 2 week old Mten3. The fall was just a little roll.....he just stepped off of it. The wheel was fully padded up with ribbed foam.....so no hard impacts.

Anyway right after that, the Mten 3 just won't turn on. It just died. The battery was fully charged or at least 70% battery.

I plugged it in for a while just in case it was a dead battery but it just won't turn on.

Any ideas what's wrong with it.

It is brand new, it's the black edition Mten 3 from Aliexpess.

Any help would be appreciated

• Like 1

1 minute ago, null said:

That’s really bad luck. You could probably open it up and look for loose connectors or components.. Maybe the battery have some sort of fuse that could have broken.

Beware of live current from the batteries and capacitors..

The scénario you mention is so rare there is no classic answer to give AFAIK.

Is there a fuse in there that i can replace?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, null said:

Many EUCs have fuses for the batteries, I don’t know specifically for the mten3. It could be a direction to explore.

Thank you.....i'll try and pull it apart today.

22 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't think it has a fuse.

-

What exactly happens if you try to turn it on now?

Nothing happens when i try to turn it on. Nothing....no lights....just nothing.

3 minutes ago, Dgtreble said:

id recommend sending to your distributor, As I'm in California and shipping is prohibitively expensive. 

check battery connections if your comfortable taking apart and returns are not an option

Don't think Aliexpress is good for that. Think i'm on my own!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cary said:

Think i'm on my own!

Not totally...I also have an Mten3 and also located in Montreal.

I may be able to help you.

PM me if necessary.

At first it sounds simply like a disconnected cable.

A good starting point for you is to get familiar with the Mten dissasembly with Marty's video.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cary said:

Don't think Aliexpress is good for that. Think i'm on my own!

Bad new's it won't matter even if one lived right next door to the Store in question. No one warranties impact damage (accidental or otherwise) for obvious reasons esp on a rider crash. It'd be extremely hard to proof other than rider error even if its otherwise.

Good new's tis the right time to dust out some diy'ing skills. EUCs aren't very complex nor intricate. Opening up the shell is a 10min job & for all of GW/BG's lousy QC & whatnot, it's positive is that everything is laid out in the open so very little mechanical skills & knowledge are required. Even blown parts on a mobo can be easily replaced via a soldering iron. If one can't solder or use a multimeter, the neighborhood electronic repair can certainly do it.

The other good news is like what @meepmeepmayer wrote, its very likely the power button/switch. I know my spin kill button popped out on one of my Mten3 wipes & though the physical button was lost, I easily jury rigged a solution. I'm far from being an expert but if it charges, it's likely the electronics/circuitry are good no? It's the mechanical part that not turning on.

Or not . As usual, I can easily be wrong so YMMV ofcos.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the Mten 3 apart. The only thing i found is a loose red wire on the lift switch....the black wire was solidly connected....the red wire was kinda connected. I tugged on it a bit and the red wire came loose.

Through my own experience I've found the spin kill switch (button in my case) to be a 'strategic' area prone to impact damage. I don't know if the kill switch circuit is directly connect to the on/off circuit but since the Mten3's apart, why don't you rehook it & try it out. IMO it would be likely there's a short in the on/off circuit so look for any loose/broken connections from mobo to on/off switch.

If you have trouble, you can take it to an electronics repair or heck, even an appliance repair shop. Afterall, an EUC is nothing more than a glorified Roomba with gyro. Any of them can easily trace the entire circuit includ. power on/off.  

8 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

Through my own experience I've found the spin kill switch (button in my case) to be a 'strategic' area prone to impact damage. I don't know if the kill switch circuit is directly connect to the on/off circuit but since the Mten3's apart, why don't you rehook it & try it out. IMO it would be likely there's a short in the on/off circuit so look for any loose/broken connections from mobo to on/off switch.

If you have trouble, you can take it to an electronics repair or heck, even an appliance repair shop. Afterall, an EUC is nothing more than a glorified Roomba with gyro. Any of them can easily trace the entire circuit includ. power on/off.  

I tried putting the red wire onto the area where it popped off. Then i tried to turn on the wheel but nothing happened.

I took a good look at the motherboard and i can't see any burining or anything like that. Everything looks good there.

Also looked at the power swithch. It looks solidly connected there too.

I'm not sure what is meant by "putting the red wire where it popped off" but if its possible, resolder the connection to whatever connector/connection it was originally. Oftimes, just holding the wire to the surface doesn't make a solid circuit. 

Rest of the pics looks like new & how it should be. Go thru all the connections everywhere & ensure its all solidly connected. If it were me, I would wiggle & push all connectors in too. Personally it would seem the spinkill switch's the culprit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

I'm not sure what is meant by "putting the red wire where it popped off" but if its possible, resolder the connection to whatever connector/connection it was originally. Oftimes, just holding the wire to the surface doesn't make a solid circuit. 

Rest of the pics looks like new & how it should be. Go thru all the connections everywhere & ensure its all solidly connected. If it were me, I would wiggle & push all connectors in too. Personally it would seem the spinkill switch's the culprit.

Yes i just held the broken wire to touch the area where it came off from.

Do you think if i unplug the spin kill switch from the motherboard will work? Of course i won't have any way to control wheel if i lift it.

50 minutes ago, Cary said:

Yes i just held the broken wire to touch the area where it came off from.

Do you think if i unplug the spin kill switch from the motherboard will work? Of course i won't have any way to control wheel if i lift it.

I'm not sure what you mean by unplugging the kill switch but make sure you complete the circuit when disabling the switch. Otherwise you're back at square one.

You can try yanking out the connection from the mobo but I think it maybe wired to the power switch too. Anyhoos no harm trying, you can always plug it back it.

58 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by unplugging the kill switch but make sure you complete the circuit when disabling the switch. Otherwise you're back at square one.

You can try yanking out the connection from the mobo but I think it maybe wired to the power switch too. Anyhoos no harm trying, you can always plug it back it.

Well i unplugged the lift switch from the mother board. The wire was just a simple quick disconnect plug.  No luck, still doesn't work. 

I gave up for today. I just put everything in a box. Just really frustrated now.