Kingsong 18XL Firmware Update Version 20.31

Bridgeboy

Darknessbot is reporting I can update to this new version 20.31 (I'm currently on version 2.00). It says it is dated October, 9, 2020. When I hit the "What's new" button it only says "blue tooth test."

Does anybody know what this firmware update does and should I do it?

@ShanesPlanet what firmware are you using on your 18L?

• Like 1

I'm currently also on version 2.00 (per eucw). I run medium mode(sometimes hard mode too) with zero tilt, no extra pads but my RollNZ cover.   I am completely content with the firmware and how it handles. I have ZERO intentions of EVER updating it again or changing it. Its nice and quiet, its perfectly reliable and the way it handles my intent is perfect for my style. My trolley uses the older style lift sensor and its also just fine. Actually, I LOVE the trolley and find it a HUGE leap ahead of others in refinement. I don't have the KS app anywhere near ANY of my devices and I'd be a fool to do so. If i can remain on FW 2.0 until the wheel falls apart or I do, I'll call it massive success. I use one speed alarm and its 2mph from top speed. I do feel confident in how KS handles overhead and throttles the wheel. It doesnt make me happy when the wheel throttles me down, but its comforting, and Ive hit tiltback at top speed in sweepers and it was perfectly implemented for my needs.

From what I have read, EUCW is a safe way to try upgrade and downgrade firmwares. However, mine aint broken and I'm not mucking with it. Fwiw, I have the stock older typle 18L with 2kw motor(mine came with the old KS FW that had a nice pitched whine in operation). I installed the pedals and trolley upgrade myself. Im pretty sure mines from the version era when they were selling black and had breakage issue on that color. Solution was to buy white and get a cover. Honestly, its been my favorite wheel and still is. I had 2 18L's at one point but sold it as wife wasn't interested. If my 18L died, I'd replace it just like my mten. Being paranoid tho, I'm worried the 2.2kw motor or XL version would leave me wondering why its not exactly like my current.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Love my 18l as well Shane.  If the firmware increased the maximum speed I would absolutely get it.  I like the firmware I got, I just find myself riding tiltback a lot lately. Or if it fixed my Bluetooth problem I would install it as well.

Edited by Joker10
  • Like 1

the cure for riding tiltbacks on an 18L is.... a Sherman :)  I understand how it is to want faster than the 18L. Oddly tho, now that I have a faster choice, when I ride my 18L, i dont ride tiltbacks or feel the need to go as fast. I guess the 18L has become my gloriously comfortable and reliable wheel, and its being ridden as such. Basically, you gotta buy more wheels is all. Damn wheel virus is gna be the death of me!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 5:56 AM, Joker10 said:

Love my 18l as well Shane.  If the firmware increased the maximum speed I would absolutely get it.  I like the firmware I got, I just find myself riding tiltback a lot lately. Or if it fixed my Bluetooth problem I would install it as well.

The upgrade notes for the update claims it does something with Bluetooth. I never had a Bluetooth problem to begin with though, so I don't know what it would be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

The upgrade notes for the update claims it does something with Bluetooth. I never had a Bluetooth problem to begin with though, so I don't know what it would be.

Maybe somnething to do with the beeps? My BT works fine in 2.0 so I cant see how to imporve on working. For BT, either it works or it doesnt. A lot of people have zero fears of updating and I havent heard serious uproar about it being bad. Me, Im just not bothering, as why risk it for questionable gains? The final blow to updating was when we were given a BT update that was supposed to make the beeps silent. I was told I'd get the revert file by asking, but it was a shit show to get it. With such pitiful lack of follow up and info, i decided to just forever give up thinking I should need update the KS18L again.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1