revive sleeping battery pack

redsnapper

I have a buddy who bought a onewheel XR then let it sit for 12mos (yes don't get me started on his stupidity!). Now his batt is below min and will not charge. I have heard of using a balance charger to bring low cell groups up to a min threshold so that the normal charger can be used. I am aware this requires that cells have not gone to 0v etc. (I would test all cells in advance to make sure) and that some permanent impairment may result from the pack sitting idle so long. I have not got the pack yet but I soon will as my buddy drove back from US with his dead onewheel. Any thoughts on attempting to bring this pack up to min voltage etc.

1 hour ago, amelanso said:

I have heard of using a balance charger to bring low cell groups up to a min threshold so that the normal charger can be used.

I kind of did this once and it worked for a while, but the damage was already done and the cells kept getting out of balance. The safer bet is probably to have the battery redone (hobbyists do it, there are probably services doing it?) if the official ones are too expensive / not available.

The public at large must be killing mountains of PEVs this way, and when you try to give them some recommendations the reaction is something like "yea sure" and nothing is done..

edit: If you have a charger for individual cells you could always try and keep an eye on the evolution.

Edited by null
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

First step is to measure how much volt for each group cells. If it's under 2,5V chemical reaction is damaged and there is no interested in trying waking up cells.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 12/15/2020 at 7:16 AM, redsnapper said:

I have a buddy who bought a onewheel XR then let it sit for 12mos (yes don't get me started on his stupidity!). Now his batt is below min and will not charge. I have heard of using a balance charger to bring low cell groups up to a min threshold so that the normal charger can be used. I am aware this requires that cells have not gone to 0v etc. (I would test all cells in advance to make sure) and that some permanent impairment may result from the pack sitting idle so long. I have not got the pack yet but I soon will as my buddy drove back from US with his dead onewheel. Any thoughts on attempting to bring this pack up to min voltage etc.

I wouldn't bother with measuring voltage, etc.  Get another battery pack.  They can be had all day long on either facebook group Onewheel marketplace or Onewheel only Parts and Products.