Gotway RS use bluetooth speakers as beeper?

xiiijojjo

I am wondering about how it could be possible to hook up the speaker to use it instead of/along side the small piezo transducer it came with (beeper).

I just got my new RS and didn't have an easy time hearing the beeps mostly due to going faster than my previous top speed of the Tesla which never created that much wind sound in my helmet. So for piece of mind and potentially to save my life i want to improve the sound output of my 80% beeps. 

Now first i did the inspection anyone should do before riding anything assembled by the gotway glue gun guy so i took off both sides and checked all wire positions and other things and good thing i did with the insane placement my motor wires came in and other minor QC flaws. 

In any case i found out that the piezo connector is only a 2 pin connector whereas the speakers are 3 pin. 

Would the speakers even be able to make as loud of a beep as a piezo can to begin with? Also can you think of any safe, preferably, easy way of getting higher beep sounds? I have seen people tap into the battery to run more piezos i'd really prefer a more plug'n'play kind of approach and as i'm never going to use the speakers i figured using them alongside the original piezo would be smartest and easiest. I also have the original piezo from a Msuper v3 that i could potentially install if my idea proves too difficult 

note: i'm not going to want to use any app for warnings i only want the 80% beeps.

I have been considering figuring out a mod for my sherman as well. I fear that at top speeds, the wind noise will cancel out the alarm. I dont think you will get any good results from connecting the buzzer signal to the speaker. I dont know why the speaker has 3 wires, but regadless, the piezo buzz isnt anywhere near the watts required to get acceptable noise from a speaker cone. My idea was to see if i could simply find a more sensitive piezo and do a swap. Then I wondered if maybe I need to install a small opamp and boost the signal for a larger pieze. Admittedly, this should be a simple and cheap task, I've just been doing other bullshit things instead. I'll dig into this for a few moment in the next day or two and see if I can come up with any cheap/easy solution. I just want an insanely loud top speed beep and it needs be basic factory swap, as i dont want muck with aftermarket apps for this built in alarm.

You got me crackin up with the glue gun guy remark. OMFG, the job title of 'gotway glue gun guy' should come with its own badge, uniform and twitter page!

• Like 1

If the Sherman uses the same buzzer as a gotway mount it through a hole so the side slots are external and use the mounting hole either side to make a plate for the rear of it as it needs pressure to sound properly.  Done this on an MCM5 and my MSuperX and I can hear beeps (obviously at a slower speed) loud with a motorcycle helmet on. 

You can see my buzzer on this video with the side slots exposed.  I mad a rubber cap too to cover it if it rains, then obviously slow down as the beeps are muted.

Here's the MCM5 being ridden with the external buzzer.

On my next wheel I will do the same as soon as I've tested the wheel works before I ride it fast.

Definitely louder, but still not loud enough. Depending on the wind force it is no longer audible at over 50kmh.

2 buzzers at the same time are quieter than just one, because probably the 5V board is designed too weak.

20201104-195048.jpg

Annoying that Gotway failed again with the RS. :facepalm:

Edited by buell47

24 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Definitely louder, but still not loud enough. Depending on the wind force it is no longer audible at over 50kmh.

2 buzzers at the same time are quieter than just one, because probably the 5V board is designed too weak.

20201104-195048.jpg

Annoying that Gotway failed again with the RS. :facepalm:

The standard buzzer through a panel with a plastic disc pushed on the rear (notice my video on the MsuperX where the lugs are kept and used to bolt it in place, these also hold a bit of plastic hard against the rear of it) I can hear loud at 32mph with a full face motorcycle crash helmet on.  I can also hear the MCM5 beep behind me when it hits the 80% alarm.  I measured it when I did the test with a db meter (not that I needed it) and it's much louder, maybe over twice the volume.  Did the same on both wheels and never missed a single beep.

I don't understand what you mean, but if you used the original buzzer and have no problems with speed, wind, open full face helmet, then I guess you can just hear well.

Oh wait a minute, I forgot to mention that I wear 2 x Bose Soundlink micro in stereo mode on my shoulders at almost full volume.

Maybe I should go without music for testing, but what good would it do me, I need a solution that will drown everything out. :roflmao:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

I have seen the mods you guys are pointing out and it might end up as my final solution but i just wouldn't feel 100% safe. I want to increase the sound from within the wheel instead of having it closer to me.

Here's my original post but the photos have gone.  It's not just about moving it closer because in it's normal position inside the sound is muted, it went from 80dbA to 87dbA and a basic guide is that a 3dbA rise is doubling the sound each time. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

I have seen the mods you guys are pointing out and it might end up as my final solution but i just wouldn't feel 100% safe. I want to increase the sound from within the wheel instead of having it closer to me.

If you don't like the buzzer on the outside, you can move it behind the headlight air vents. It's also much louder, but not as loud as on the outside. 

20200910-140451.jpg

20200910-140458.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just an idea here, dont even know if it's possible, but would be a nice solution. Hear me out.

Swap the sound alarm for a visual one!

If we install a laser (a strong one, that can be seen in daylight) pointing to the floor right where we need to look, it would just be impossible to miss it!

I know some countries have restrictions against lasers and such, but in these cases, maybe a strong enough lamp would suffice

I am so amazed that no one, absolutely no one, so no one in this world has come up with the idea.

Would certainly fit wonderfully in the Gotway MSS, then you do not even have to drill a new hole in the shell. Just remove the old laser and replace it with an extremely bright one. 

Brilliant idea :roflmao:

14 minutes ago, buell47 said:

I am so amazed that no one, absolutely no one, so no one in this world has come up with the idea.

Would certainly fit wonderfully in the Gotway MSS, then you do not even have to drill a new hole in the shell. Just remove the old laser and replace it with an extremely bright one. 

Brilliant idea :roflmao:

I mean, i didn't even knew this solution was already being used until you said it.

Not everybody knows this even exist. As i am Brazilian, i would never end in a site like this one that offers the MSS, i don't even know what language that is, and most certainly can't read a single word of it.

That being said. Wouldn't that be a viable solution for a DIY, and not a specialized service? And if anyone the have this MSS, doea the laser work as a reliable substitute for the beep?

Edited by Artullas

4 hours ago, Artullas said:

Just an idea here, dont even know if it's possible, but would be a nice solution. Hear me out.

Swap the sound alarm for a visual one!

If we install a laser (a strong one, that can be seen in daylight) pointing to the floor right where we need to look, it would just be impossible to miss it!

I know some countries have restrictions against lasers and such, but in these cases, maybe a strong enough lamp would suffice

Eucservice already have this as an option in their website. Been there for a while too.

3 hours ago, Artullas said:

I mean, i didn't even knew this solution was already being used until you said it.

Not everybody knows this even exist. As i am Brazilian, i would never end in a site like this one that offers the MSS, i don't even know what language that is, and most certainly can't read a single word of it.

That being said. Wouldn't that be a viable solution for a DIY, and not a specialized service? And if anyone the have this MSS, doea the laser work as a reliable substitute for the beep?

Its easy, just use the 3v signal that drives the buzzer, to activate the gate of a mosfet. 

• 7 months later...