InMotion V8 tiltback & all LEDs flash red

Tim Koffler

I recently had my InMotion V8 with a full battery, a few minutes into a ride start tilting back then slowing down to a stop with all of the LEDs flashing red.  I tried turning it off but was not able to for a minute or two, but eventually it went off.  I was able to immediately turn it back on and it seemed fine. I rode it another minute or so at a medium speed and less than a minute later the same thing happens.  It has now happened maybe 10 or so times. If I ride really slow, it rarely triggers the kickback. But if I go up a hill or more than like 10 miles an hour it's not too long before the severe tiltback occurs.

Any thoughts?

Oh, my machine is probably 3-4 years old but InMotion in San Diego replaced the motherboard for me less than 2 years ago because it had failed on me. But since that replacement it was perfect until just now.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 5:26 PM, bobah said:

Hi. have same issue. Do you know what happened?

On 11/6/2020 at 4:09 PM, Tim Koffler said:

I recently had my InMotion V8 with a full battery, a few minutes into a ride start tilting back then slowing down to a stop with all of the LEDs flashing red.  I tried turning it off but was not able to for a minute or two, but eventually it went off.  I was able to immediately turn it back on and it seemed fine. I rode it another minute or so at a medium speed and less than a minute later the same thing happens.  It has now happened maybe 10 or so times. If I ride really slow, it rarely triggers the kickback. But if I go up a hill or more than like 10 miles an hour it's not too long before the severe tiltback occurs.

Any thoughts?

Oh, my machine is probably 3-4 years old but InMotion in San Diego replaced the motherboard for me less than 2 years ago because it had failed on me. But since that replacement it was perfect until just now.

Sounds like you are both suffering from overheat. The Wheel will start tilting back severely no matter what your battery percentage is if you are overstressing the wheel. Trying to go up a steep hill at speed you are drawing a high amount of power and the wheel will start to get hot. As a counter measure to prevent damage the wheel will tiltback to force you to get off. The only fix is to slow it down further on those hills! You may need a different, more capable wheel for your use case.