S18/MSX

I was looking at the new S-18 and the MSX to preorder. I like the idea of suspension on the S-18 because I am older and have some chronic injuries but I was a little worried about the small battery. Can I ask your collective advice in terms of pros and cons? Does the suspension really work or do you need to be riding rocky trails LOL. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Yes suspension does really work (I've tried both of them) and makes quite a bit of difference even when riding on the street, hitting bumps/potholes, etc. Both the V11 and S18 have a better ride quality than any non-suspension wheel from the previous generations for this reason. The V11 has the advantage of suspension but with a much better battery size (and better motor torque, pedals, lights, etc).

• Like 1

There are a few threads on the S18 and comparisons already, you should be able to find good insights on those as well.

The consensus seems to be leaning in the direction of the S18 suspension working best at high velocity impacts and larger bumps. The V11 is said to enable a slightly smoother ride on rough roads and smaller deviations. Since the V11 beats the S18 in pretty much every other aspect (including customer relations), I would consider upgrading your purchase plan to the V11.

Depending on your injuries, the lack of comfortable riding position on the MSX/P might turn out to be problematic. Also, several early V11 owners have mentioned that going back to a non-suspended wheel is problematic, since the experience really is that much better on a suspension wheel. That could make the MSX/P redundant if you already own a V11(/S18).

• Like 1