Z10 knocking noise

Retrovertigo

My Z10 is making a knocking noise when transitioning from forward to backward motion and vice versa. It has always done this to some degree from day one and as it is my first wheel I always assumed it was normal. There is some slack/deadzone between forwards and backwards and I just thought it was as the motor engaged for each direction.

But the last couple of days it seems to be doing it while riding over even the smallest bumps. I will add a video here, and note that the mic on my phone makes it sound MUCH louder than it actually is by ear. 

I am just worried something serious is going wrong and its making me nervous about riding it now. I have held the wheel down and pushed and pulled on the wheel in various directions to check for any kind of axle/bearing slack, and the wheel is rock solid, so I don't think it is related to that. Any ideas? Cheers

23 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

My Z10 is making a knocking noise when transitioning from forward to backward motion and vice versa. It has always done this to some degree from day one and as it is my first wheel I always assumed it was normal. There is some slack/deadzone between forwards and backwards and I just thought it was as the motor engaged for each direction.

But the last couple of days it seems to be doing it while riding over even the smallest bumps. I will add a video here, and note that the mic on my phone makes it sound MUCH louder than it actually is by ear. 

I am just worried something serious is going wrong and its making me nervous about riding it now. I have held the wheel down and pushed and pulled on the wheel in various directions to check for any kind of axle/bearing slack, and the wheel is rock solid, so I don't think it is related to that. Any ideas? Cheers

My 5400 km old Z10 has this same gap feeling as well, but not sure about any knocking noise. I consider Z10's motor is too weak for doing pendulum, so I try my best to avoid it. If I were you, I'd try to do the manual calibration a few times first and see if it gets better.

• Like 1

It's weird.....I have checked everything and can't find anything loose. I'm wondering if that rocking back and forward (I am trying to learn riding backwards) combined with my weight just gets that noise going (like I say, much much quieter hearing it in person. The phone camera really does seem to amplify it)

I went for a couple of miles ride yesterday just up and down my road, starting, stopping, turning.....and it feels absolutely rock solid. Balances perfectly, no vibrations, no grinding noises...nothing. I'm gonna refrain from trying to go forwards then into reverse and just learn backward riding from a standing start if I can. I plan on picking up either the V11 or S18 soon anyway, so I'll keep an eye on my wheel and investigate further if need be :) 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...