Waterways and canals in the UK

Bob Eisenman

I found this interactive map of waterways and canals in the UK on the internet, after watching a few narrow boat videos on YouTube.

Plugging in Bradford, UK with a 10 mile radius of interest I got this return of scenic places:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/local-to-you?geometry=53.795984%2C-1.759398&radius=10

Maybe an eBike would fit the laws and customs of the waterways.

• Like 2

The 'Canal and River Trust' says motorized vehicles are not permitted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_%26_River_Trust

"Walkers and cyclists can use the extensive network of towpaths that run alongside the canals and rivers without payment of a fee. Horses may not be ridden or walked on a towpath unless it has been formally designated as a bridleway. Access by motorbikes and other motorised vehicles is not permitted."

I hate to interrupt your discussion but I watched a pleasant video series on Prime about a guy who sold up and moved onto a canal boat. I think it was Travels by Narrowboat. The video is quite slow but you feel you've travelled everywhere by the end of a series or 2 or 6. I quite hiring a boat and going down these rivers and canals but I'd probably end up killing the wife (or her me) if we did it for longer than a week. There's only 2500 miles of waterways to explore but the boats only travel at working pace. A wheel would be quite useful for grabbing supplies etc but you'd then have the problem of charging it (the generator might work, solar panels probably wouldn't so it might be best to moor up in a boat yard every now and then. I wouldn't worry too much about EUC's being illegal on the paths as they're currently illegal everywhere else too.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:09 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

I hate to interrupt your discussion but I watched a pleasant video series on Prime about a guy who sold up and moved onto a canal boat. I think it was Travels by Narrowboat. The video is quite slow but you feel you've travelled everywhere by the end of a series or 2 or 6. I quite hiring a boat and going down these rivers and canals but I'd probably end up killing the wife (or her me) if we did it for longer than a week. There's only 2500 miles of waterways to explore but the boats only travel at working pace. A wheel would be quite useful for grabbing supplies etc but you'd then have the problem of charging it (the generator might work, solar panels probably wouldn't so it might be best to moor up in a boat yard every now and then. I wouldn't worry too much about EUC's being illegal on the paths as they're currently illegal everywhere else too.

Charging wouldn't be a big problem, you just run the engine. Not the cleanest, greenest method of charging but easy enough. Boats usually have TVs, fridges and an electric boiler, and an AC/DC converter to supply standard domestic plugs. You wouldn't be adding that much to a normal domestic load (but you would need to plan for timing, engines aren't supposed to be run from 8pm to 8am, although mooring up in the middle of nowhere relaxes that rule by virtue of no one being around to enforce it).

The CRT is fine with electric bikes using the towpaths. Technically PEVs are banned but it's unlikely that there would be a problem unless you bumped into a particularly officious warden (or were causing trail bike-style nuisance). You just need to be considerate of other towpath users and be respectful around moored boats. Electric motors at reasonable speeds don't (need to) bother anyone and outside of popular mooring/walking spots, there are very few people around to be bothered.

We're only just starting out on our EUC adventures but touring the country using the towpaths is on the wishlist. Would be a great holiday, booking into guest houses on the way.

A wheel would be a great thing for boats which stay on the move ("continuous cruisers" who have to move on every 14 days instead of having a fixed mooring). It would make it a lot easier to go back and get the car.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:09 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

I wouldn't worry too much about EUC's being illegal on the paths as they're currently illegal everywhere else too.

^^ This

I also used to live very near to the Kennet and Avon Canal and walked the dogs along it nearly daily.  Many of the narrow-boaters use small motorcycles to go to the shops and don't seem to give a **** about the rules :)

I believe that, if you're considerate when using the tow path, no-one is going to complain and therefore no-one is going to do anything about it.