My Kingsong 18XL's lift sensor is out of wack

TedTheAtheist

So basically when I pick it up, it knows I did, but sometimes it doesn't realize I put it down.

I replaced the handle on it, as it seemed to need it. I also unscrewed both screws on either side that handles the rod-thing for the sensor. It seemed to help.

However, now I'm having a scarier issue. When I stop at a stoplight or something, it will act as if the sensor has been triggered, as if it was picked up and put down multiple times... so it beeps quite a few times, and when it stops it basically thinks it's still up in the air. This has caused me once to fall as I was getting on it, as I had my headphones on and didn't hear the beeping that was going on.

To fix that I just turn the thing off and back on again, and then it behaves. As I've already loosened the screws (before I tightened them, but that didn't help at all), I don't know what else to do? I wouldn't mind turning off the whole damn sensor if that's what I must do for my safety, but I'd rather not... but not sure how to disable it if I wanted to.

Thanks.

What firmware version are you on? On the later revisions the support for the old analogue style lift sensors was apparently cut in favour of the digital style they started using recently and some people had issues (me included). I think you can revert back a few firmware versions with EUCworld, calibrate the lift sensor (perhaps using the kingsong app? Or EUCW not 100% sure), and then once it's working nicely flash forward to 2.0 again or whatever other version you prefer and it should behave itself. I just turned it off entirely as I felt it was giving me a weird forward pedal dip and didn't want to take any chances.

I just learned I can turn it off, and I did. I have the latest firmware for it.

The only issue I'll have now is that I'll need to turn off the wheel to pick it up and bring it up stairs or curbs or such, and that's a pain.. but whatever, if I was to get the Veteran or something I'd have to do that anyways. I'm so glad there was an option to turn it off.

Tell me about this pedal dip? How did that work? How could the sensor mess with that?

On 8/2/2020 at 3:57 PM, Will R said:

What firmware version are you on? On the later revisions the support for the old analogue style lift sensors was apparently cut in favour of the digital style they started using recently and some people had issues (me included). I think you can revert back a few firmware versions with EUCworld, calibrate the lift sensor (perhaps using the kingsong app? Or EUCW not 100% sure), and then once it's working nicely flash forward to 2.0 again or whatever other version you prefer and it should behave itself. I just turned it off entirely as I felt it was giving me a weird forward pedal dip and didn't want to take any chances.

How do I know if I have the old analog or the new digital? 

Edit: I think I found what I need to replace it.

Edited by TedTheAtheist

I think the same sensor as the 18L? I had to turn mine off after months of issues. 

You can also see in the details in the app if the sensors are malfunctioning or not. Mine went into different states of malfunctioning or not, so I think that may have also contributed. My dealer sent me replacements sensors, but I never installed them.

57 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

I think the same sensor as the 18L? I had to turn mine off after months of issues. 

You can also see in the details in the app if the sensors are malfunctioning or not. Mine went into different states of malfunctioning or not, so I think that may have also contributed. My dealer sent me replacements sensors, but I never installed them.

So basically you leave the lift sensor off then?

That's what I do, after having it;

1) shut off when I come to a stop 

2) have irratic starts for no reason

3) lift sensors not working when I pick my 18L up to go upstairs (about 50% of the time).

I orignally shut if off and had 6mos-9 months of no issues. THen, after changing main board, tube and FW update, tried to use it again and had really bad problems. It's been more than 8 months now and no issues with it disabled again, so I am convinced.

Hate to say it, but it's not worth my wheel and safety to have something not work right like that, so I disabled it. Otherwise, I am super happy with my wheel.

I ordered the new sensors for my wheel, but even if I install them, my trust factor isn't very high.... I mean, if I'm listening to headphones at a stop light... will I ever really trust my wheel if I can't hear the beeps, then wind up on the ground when I try to get on it? I don't know.