Face-plants battery suspect?

AlanR

I was discussing with the proprietor of Milbay in Australia re a series of Face-plants I experienced under benign conditions i.e. average speed 12 kph and battery 3/4 full.

He said it was most likely to be an under capacity battery!!  My EUC [Dragonmen Hotwheels] battery is claimed to be 132 Wh.

Any comments?

My generic 14-inch 132Wh wheel had a few times when it "sagged" when the battery was about half full or less. It doesn't go that fast so I was able to run them off and avoid a face-plant. I think it might have been that kind of problem where the battery just couldn't handle a sudden high-current draw. However, if you rode it carefully you could run it down to almost no battery. Once I even climbed a really steep hill just before it gave me the low battery beeping. It was the longest trip I ever made, just a hair over 5 miles on a charge.

Most people believe because of the small battery capacity leads to a higher risk of face planting with anything than full battery.  This is because of the high variation of voltage shifts when putting the unit under stress and as a result will shut down the unit when voltage dips below a certain threshold. 

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/459-electric-unicycles-bms-problem-and-solution/

On 26 November 2015 9:49:08 pm, dmethvin said:

@AlanR When your EUC faceplanted you did you have to reconnect it to the charger to get it running again? If so it's a BMS cutout and shunting would help. For my cases the EUC didn't cut out, it just slowed down when it shouldn't have.

No I didn't have to reconnect it to the Charger, I just turned the EUC off and on again to re set! The 2nd and 3rd shut-offs occurred within ~ 3 to 5 mins of restarting!

So, are you saying shunting wouldn't help?  Is there any other "fix"?

The supplier is no help - implied I had done something outside the operating parameters despite saying " about 12 kph, 3 battery lights on" Say they will send me another PCB for me to instal! 2 + weeks and waiting!  Refuses to say the new board will work any differently!

51 minutes ago, AlanR said:

So, are you saying shunting wouldn't help?  Is there any other "fix"?

Usually a BMS cutout requires reconnecting the charger to reset, so it doesn't sound like the problem you experienced was a BMS cutout. It could have been a voltage sag, which might be pretty common for a 132Wh battery because it's not a lot of power. It could also be that you out-leaned the ability of the motor to provide torque. What do you weight and how tall are you? 

Archived