Safety as Awareness and Skill First

We talk about "safety" and "protection" in terms of gear, but awareness and skill are far more important. Gear may give false confidence and should be used as the last line of defense instead of the first. 

I've found the following videos by some experienced riders very educational. They've articulated a few things I've been thinking, as well as expanded my thinking.

I'm sure there are other ones, so please post other good videos on safety that goes beyond protective equipment. 

Thanks everyone!

• Like 3

Nope ,have to disagree! Skill and awareness are important first line defenses for the environments we ride in,and a "man has to know his limitations"  but protective gear is the defence against the unexpected and unforseen! Wearing gear doesnt give me boosted confidence to try riskier riding but makes the ride more enjoyable knowing that when and not if i come off,i,m not going to get beaten up as badly as wearing a t-shirt and thongs(Flip-flops).If all it took to stay safe was better skill and awareness then u wouldnt see the great riders fall but they all have.I see the trend showing better riders gearing up, as machines get faster and do more and hope it continues.

Yep,sorry,not very clear.Gear is more important than skills and awareness, in that it protects u from day one.When starting out u have no skill or knowledge.Gear will protect u! As u get better and understand a bit about ur capabilities and machine workings, u ride faster and more difficult areas.Your skill and awareness go,s up but ur risk go,s up.Thats where ur gear changes from crappy wristguards and an old bike helmet to some bodyarmour,Leatt wristguards and full face helmet.Having said that,they all go hand in hand .

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 7:43 PM, postbio said:

We talk about "safety" and "protection" in terms of gear, but awareness and skill are far more important. Gear may give false confidence and should be used as the last line of defense instead of the first. 

I've found the following videos by some experienced riders very educational. They've articulated a few things I've been thinking, as well as expanded my thinking.

I'm sure there are other ones, so please post other good videos on safety that goes beyond protective equipment. 

Thanks everyone!

Appreciate the shout out man. 

• Like 1