Mten3 - 420Wh - Will not charge

Chaotropic

New to EUC, so i bought a "practice", Mten3 wheel before my V11 arrived. There weren't any in stock at ewheels so I bought it from ebay. Unfortunately after 3 days it will not charge. I've reached out to the seller no response at this time.

No light will turn on the charger.

Wheel still turns on and is 0% battery according to the gotway app and 16% on the DarknessBot. I took the wheel apart even though I didn't really know what I would be looking for and stopped before getting into the battery pack after watching Marty's mten battery repair videos.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDpeAhU92fm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boe7TL8CV6A&t=131s

I am kind of at a loss. I feel like I purchased an expensive paperweight at this point. 

12 hours ago, Chaotropic said:

New to EUC, so i bought a "practice", Mten3 wheel before my V11 arrived. There weren't any in stock at ewheels so I bought it from ebay. Unfortunately after 3 days it will not charge. I've reached out to the seller no response at this time.

No light will turn on the charger.

Wheel still turns on and is 0% battery according to the gotway app and 16% on the DarknessBot. I took the wheel apart even though I didn't really know what I would be looking for and stopped before getting into the battery pack after watching Marty's mten battery repair videos.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDpeAhU92fm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boe7TL8CV6A&t=131s

I am kind of at a loss. I feel like I purchased an expensive paperweight at this point. 

When you say "after 3 days it will not charge", do you mean that you have charged it before but now it will not charge the wheel?

You say, "No light will turn on the charger". This statement makes me think that the charger is dead. When you plug the charger into the wall you should always see a green light. When you then plug the charger into the wheel the LED will turn red until the wheel is fully charged.

Are you sure that the AC cord that goes to the wall is also fully plugged into the charger. It may have slightly pulled out of the charger and therefore not powering the charger.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

Like marty said it's probably the charger if no light are coming on, try the basics first, fuse on plug and all connected properly to the charger before you go any further 👍 is there anyone near you with a charger? Just to try , you don't want to leave the batteries to long at 0%

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

When you say "after 3 days it will not charge", do you mean that you have charged it before but now it will not charge the will?

You say, "No light will turn on the charger". This statement makes me think that the charger is dead. When you plug the charger into the wall you should always see a green light. When you then plug the charger into the wheel the LED will turn red until the wheel is fully charged.

Are you sure that the AC cord that goes to the wall is also fully plugged into the charger. It may have slightly pulled out of the charger and therefore not powering the charger.

The unit was charged two times. And now has 56 miles, it came with new with 20.  

I double check the chord that goes into the charger. It seemed to go in. I used my tester on the tip that goes into the wheel and it beeped. Not sure that means the chord was plugged in. 

https://ibb.co/86PJnT7
https://ibb.co/YR9KhCP

How long is too long at 0%? I don’t know anyone with a charger like this. These things aren’t very popular around here.

The seller did get back to me and is sending the information to a service team. 

I suppose I should rush delivery a charger. 

31 minutes ago, Chaotropic said:

I double check the chord that goes into the charger. It seemed to go in. I used my tester on the tip that goes into the wheel and it beeped. Not sure that means the chord was plugged in. 

How long is too long at 0%? I don’t know anyone with a charger like this. These things aren’t very popular around here.

Where do you live??

15 minutes ago, stephen said:

Where do you live??

York, PA.  South central Pennsylvania. 

A few hours from philly about 1 hour from Baltimore. I didn’t even think about outside of my town. I’m sure there are folks in Baltimore or philly, but I don’t know anyone. 

Dane 

36 minutes ago, Chaotropic said:

York, PA.  South central Pennsylvania. 

A few hours from philly about 1 hour from Baltimore. I didn’t even think about outside of my town. I’m sure there are folks in Baltimore or philly, but I don’t know anyone. 

Dane 

It's a friendly community on here someone may help you  , or go to ewheels.com and order ones

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chaotropic said:

I don't know what a "Tester" is, but the focus should be on the charger. It's extremely rare for a Gotway wheel to have a battery failure where it can't be charged.

If you plug the charger into the wall outlet but not into the Mten3, the LED must turn on and be green. If this is not the case, the charger has died. If you have a volt meter you can also measure the output of the charger and it should be 84-volts. Chargers do fail - they are cheaply made.

These chargers are readily available. You may be able to buy one from EWheels.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

Excellent. The “tester“ (Lol) is not as sophisticated as a voltmeter, but I use it to check if a wire is live before working on an outlet. That’s the red thing in the photo. I just googled what I have. It’s an AC voltage detector. 

Regardless, here is my plan, since I am at work now.

1.Pick up a voltmeter at the local hardware store. Use Marty’s instruction

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

If you have a volt meter you can also measure the output of the charger and it should be 84-volts. Chargers do fail - they are cheaply made.

2. Purchase a new charger, based on Marty’s evaluation /diagnosis. No light, chargers cheap —> probably charger. 

The only question I have left is - should I rush the delivery? 

7 hours ago, stephen said:

Like marty said it's probably the charger if no light are coming on, try the basics first, fuse on plug and all connected properly to the charger before you go any further 👍 is there anyone near you with a charger? Just to try , you don't want to leave the batteries to long at 0%

Would the 4-5 days standard delivery be too long and compromise the battery? 

Thanks for the help! If anyone is near south central PA and wants to share charger let me know. Working with ewheels now to make sure I get the right one. I’ll place that order before I leave work today. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chaotropic said:

Should be ok ,, i didn't mean to worry you but batteries are best not left drained , they will be still charge in them Gotway don't empty as much as other wheel manufacturers 👍

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chaotropic said:

Excellent. The “tester“ (Lol) is not as sophisticated as a voltmeter, but I use it to check if a wire is live before working on an outlet. That’s the red thing in the photo. I just googled what I have. It’s an AC voltage detector. 

Regardless, here is my plan, since I am at work now.

1.Pick up a voltmeter at the local hardware store. Use Marty’s instruction

2. Purchase a new charger, based on Marty’s evaluation /diagnosis. No light, chargers cheap —> probably charger. 

The only question I have left is - should I rush the delivery? 

Thanks for the help! If anyone is near south central PA and wants to share charger let me know. Working with ewheels now to make sure I get the right one. I’ll place that order before I leave work today. 

As @stephen said, no worries about rushing. Gotway wheels don't drain the batteries when the wheel is off. I've turned on wheels a couple months after their last use and they were still at 100-percent.

Update.

You guys were spot on. I am not able to get a reading from the plug that goes into the wheel. I was able to get a steady AC 118.5 voltage from the plug that goes into the charger.  I purchased a charger from ewheels. I ended up shipping it overnight it cause I've an itch to riiiiiide!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Chaotropic said:

Update.

You guys were spot on. I am not able to get a reading from the plug that goes into the wheel. I was able to get a steady AC 118.5 voltage from the plug that goes into the charger.  I purchased a charger from ewheels. I ended up shipping it overnight it cause I've an itch to riiiiiide!

Glad to here it 👍 keep us updated when you get your charger , everything should be ok.

Don't Chuck your old charger and if you do at least keep the lead what goes into the wheel port just in case you ever need it

• Like 2

17 hours ago, stephen said:

Glad to here it 👍 keep us updated when you get your charger , everything should be oK

Everything appears to be working. Multimeter showing 67. Red light when plugged in. 3 battery lights (only had 2 before). 

https://ibb.co/bF61LKp

Thanks again Marty and Stephen!

-Dane 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Chaotropic said:

Everything appears to be working. Multimeter showing 67. Red light when plugged in. 3 battery lights (only had 2 before). 

https://ibb.co/bF61LKp

Thanks again Marty and Stephen!

-Dane 

Fantastic. Glad you're back up and running :thumbup:

• Like 1

Wonderful news! Have you come to realize that the mten is NOT a practice wheel? It shouldnt take you long to come to conclude that the mten is a very capable wheel and fun as hell! You will enjoy your v11, but I bet MONEY that youll still be riding the shit out of your mten too. Peppy little bastard for such seemingly low specs, aint it? Now, time for you to defeat the reverse 360 challenge and video it for us!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Wonderful news! Have you come to realize that the mten is NOT a practice wheel? It shouldnt take you long to come to conclude that the mten is a very capable wheel and fun as hell! You will enjoy your v11, but I bet MONEY that youll still be riding the shit out of your mten too. Peppy little bastard for such seemingly low specs, aint it? Now, time for you to defeat the reverse 360 challenge and video it for us!

How many backward 360's are you up to now? :laughbounce2:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

How many backward 360's are you up to now? :laughbounce2:

Risk vs reward came up to negative numbers. I ride backwards a bit now, but I'm not a fan of getting sick. I'll grow some balls and try again soon. Hell, I guess I'm just being a pussy, as I give up BEFORE I vomit. :barf:   To be fair, seems like motion sickness is getting much worse with age for me. I USED to not be affected in the slightest. I think I hit around 10, and cold sweats begin to takeover.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Ugh.

Nice and charged. Rode it last night a bit and took it to work this morning. Prior to my ride home the wheel wouldn’t self balance.

It just beeps and will not self balance. I had to get my wife to pick me up :(. Out now so I haven’t been able to do much research into the cause. If there are some common places to look first direction would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaotropic said:

Ugh.

Nice and charged. Rode it last night a bit and took it to work this morning. Prior to my ride home the wheel wouldn’t self balance.

It just beeps and will not self balance. I had to get my wife to pick me up :(. Out now so I haven’t been able to do much research into the cause. If there are some common places to look first direction would be much appreciated.

That's unfortunate. Your best help is here. You'll need to provide more information. For instance, if it beeps when you turn it one, tell us exactly how it beeps (Gotway wheel will 'morse code' a diagnostic beep sequence which may be useful.

• Like 1

Excellent!

I attempted to describe the issue and to be fair I wasn't having much luck, so I made a video. When I very lightly push the wheel forward or backward the wheel feels like it tries to balance, but wont. You can see it attempt to for lack of a better word try to "re calibrate", but then it will beep again.

Let me know if you think I should take it a part. I can show you at least visually what it would look like. Thanks again for your help!

3 hours ago, Chaotropic said:

Excellent!

I attempted to describe the issue and to be fair I wasn't having much luck, so I made a video. When I very lightly push the wheel forward or backward the wheel feels like it tries to balance, but wont. You can see it attempt to for lack of a better word try to "re calibrate", but then it will beep again.

Let me know if you think I should take it a part. I can show you at least visually what it would look like. Thanks again for your help!

Unfortunately your hand is positioned such that I can't see if you have a lift cut-off button on your wheel. The symptoms are identical to what happens when you press that button. There is a double beep and the wheel "slightly balances".

If you do have that button, it seems like maybe the button is partially engaged or failing.

Do you have that button? If so, maybe try pressing it a bunch to see if it "unsticks", etc.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chaotropic said:

Damn you are good!

I kept messing with the button and the button disengaged and went out about a millimeter. Now it seems to be balancing.

Thank you for your help!!

That'll be $5

;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1