Big Guy Riding?

Fuerte

Hey guys and the odd gal,

I had myself settled on a Ninebot One P and waited for a couple of weeks, but not enough shipped, so I didn't get one during this latest order. Since I am looking at least a few more weeks until more P's are available, I figured  would look again and I am starting to think that might be a good idea after all of the ninebot firmware problems. Okay, so I am 6'3" and weigh right at 245-250lbs and I wear a size 12 shoe, what EUC would you recommend? Will was very kind and offered my his opinion, but I also wanted to get some opinions from bigger folks like myself. I don't want to get into a ninebot vs King Song debate, just which one would be best for me. The two units at the top of the list are ninebot and King Song and  I am looking to commute about 5 miles a day, but not necessarily every day. I want to ride when I want to ride, and take the car if I need to get there quickly. I am concerned that the ninebot only supports 260 lbs and with a backpack and a laptop I would be right there. King Song goes up to 320 lbs, so that seems to be better. I think that a 14' wheel would be too small for me and I am leaning towards the 18". I am a new rider, but I have pretty good balance, so whether it takes me a couple of hours or days, I am sure I can crack it. What would the gurus on here recommend for a big guy like myself?

250 lbs is equal 113 kg. You should have an EU with a double battery pack to have more capacity if you like to have a safety margin. The motor of the Ninebot P should have enough power but it will drain the battery with your weight.

I would go with

• a 16/18" EU
  • 680 Wh or more
  • 800 W motor power

So I would say: Firewheel F779, Kingsong KS18, Gotway MSuper, maybe the upcoming Kingsong KS16 also

If you start commuting the 5 miles a day with an EU with lower battery capacity it will last for this. But if you're infected with the EU virus you like to do more. Than you buy twice.

The I'm not as big boned as you are, I'm 215 and about 5'10". I am happy with my 9B1 E+ (except for the firmware screw ups), but if I were looking for another EUC, Kingsong would be top on my list, followed by the new IPS Zero-340.   

Cheers,

Jim

I'm 6'3" tall and weight about 100kg, Ive had my 9BO e+ for 4 weeks having never ever had anything to do with them before, and am getting to a point now where i can ride it fairly comfortably around the CBD of my hometown in Melb Australia.

I dont push it, and ride it at a pace which i know I can "runout" at which Im finding is a good jogging type pace for me. i rode it home from work the other evening and it handled the hills around me quite well.

the only issue for me are the Firmware update issues, but Im happy riding on the 1.2.7 atm, and that where it'll be staying until they get their act together..

hope that info helps...

Jim,

You are kind to say big boned, but I will just go with FAT! lol Any big people ride the KS? I am curious about the foot pegs. Phil and Jim, footpegs good for your feet or do you wish that they were bigger?

Hi mate, I wear size 13 shoes, not sure what that is in Euro sizes, but think its 14US.

Ive had no issues with the foot peddles, and find the size ok, I have found though that being a taller guy, the side padding seems to hit lower on my leg compared to other riders Ive seen on YouTube ect.

As a result, Ive had to "pad out" the sides with double the supplied padding....if that makes sense so that I can easily feel the firm contact in the inner sides of my calves.

Not a great pic, but one can see the paddingand the tape used there to hold it all in place.....still a work in progress until it all feels comfy, but we'll get there.

image.jpg

I agree with dpong, I have tried running shoes and boots, and sneakers.  I find the more support in the sole the better.  But also be sure to put on cushioned socks because the sole of your feet will be hurting after about 3 or 4 miles.   It takes time to get your feet used to the pounding.   

Cheers,

Jim

I agree, I think I am going for the King Song 18" or possibly waiting for the 16", not sure, but definitely 800W motor and the biggest battery I can find! :P

Hi Fuerte,

I'm 6'2" and 125 kg (275 lbs) and I bought a IPS T350 some months ago because it has a reputation of being a sturdy climber with a lot of power reserve. The other candidate was the KS680 but I thought it was too expensive and also I didn't like the idea of a 14" wheel). I absolutely love the IPS but I find it very slow. Because of my heavy weight I draw a lot of current even at lower speeds, so the tiltback already kicks in at 14-15kph and warning bleeps (absolute speed limit) at 17kph. This is 2-3kph less then with normal people, which just makes it a bit too slow in my opinion.

Knowing what I know now, these are my conclusions:

- If you're heavy weight, buy the one with the most power, you WILL need it (Ninebot will not cut it IMHO)

- Heavy rider means lower speeds so don't buy a 'slow' one

- I still avoid high curbs, even with a 16" wheel so in hindsight I think the 14" of the KS is no dealbreaker

I hope this helps, please keep us informed of your findings about riding with heavy weight. 

Archived