Foam tire inserts - what do you think?

travsformation

I was in the middle of a long Youtube procrastination session the last night when somehow, deep down the rabbit hole, I ran into a video on Vittoria Airliner inserts for bicycles. I didn't even know such things existed! They could easily be cut to fit the right lengthy for an EUC tire, and could be a way to be able to run lower PSI when off-roading without fear of damaging the rim. Also a good overall safety measure for rim protection. What do you think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

I was in the middle of a long Youtube procrastination session the last night when somehow, deep down the rabbit hole, I ran into a video on Vittoria Airliner inserts for bicycles. I didn't even know such things existed! They could easily be cut to fit the right lengthy for an EUC tire, and could be a way to be able to run lower PSI when off-roading without fear of damaging the rim. Also a good overall safety measure for rim protection. What do you think?

These are made for either bicycles or for cross mc bikes. But from all I had seen last year when I looked at it all cross mc tubes were made for dirt tracks only. As for bicy6you have a very different tire pressure. 

I have doubts you can get this so it matches a riders weight and suit all terrain surfaces. 

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

I have doubts you can get this so it matches a riders weight and suit all terrain surfaces. 

They're not meant for 0 PSI, but in conjunction with air, to avoid bottoming out/rim damage. BUT I realized I just overlooked an essential detail...they're for tubeless tires 😅😂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, travsformation said:

They're not meant for 0 PSI, but in conjunction with air, to avoid bottoming out/rim damage. BUT I realized I just overlooked an essential detail...they're for tubeless tires 😅😂

So now you need to buy a Z10 too 😁

air wins,, screw foam. Quit trying to reinvent the mousetrap. I know travs, we want our cake and eat it too.  Air just seems to work so damn well, and its even common. Heavy duty tubes, slime and rim strips are the best we can do imho..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

air wins,, screw foam. Quit trying to reinvent the mousetrap. I know travs, we want our cake and eat it too.  Air just seems to work so damn well, and its even common. Heavy duty tubes, slime and rim strips are the best we can do imho..

I dunno, gas stations here are starting to charge for air...I never thought I'd see the day... 🤦

About slime, I actually bought some but am now skeptical of applying it based on all the talk of rim corrosion...

7 hours ago, travsformation said:

I dunno, gas stations here are starting to charge for air...I never thought I'd see the day... 🤦

About slime, I actually bought some but am now skeptical of applying it based on all the talk of rim corrosion...

I dont use slime, but its a personal preference. If you use tubes, I wouldnt think the slime corrodes. Even if it does a little, I'd almost bet that its going to be less an issue than the myriad of other things that will fail in time. My mten has tubeless and holds air, my 18L has a tube and holds air. I can set it for soft or hard ride with same air tank. I got a spare tire and 2 spare tubes... I may start trying slime, IF I start having issues. SO far, so good. All depends on where you ride, i suppose. Gotta pay for air, cant find a pay phone... progress?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I may start trying slime, IF I start having issues. SO far, so good. All depends on where you ride, i suppose.

I haven't had any issues either (knock on wood), but think it's a good preventive measure. I can't really see how slime could corrode either when inside the tube, and in the absence of a puncture...

9 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Gotta pay for air, cant find a pay phone... progress?

:roflmao: