Kingsong 16X - Nikola Style Lighting Mod

Jtn260

For those interested in modding the Kingsong 16X with Nikola style lights, it's possible. Total cost is ~$30.

Parts needed:

2x - 144 led/m RGB strips: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000047969372.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27554c4d4Vnsxw

1x - RGB controller: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32981053891.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.1.6eb67bc9VwsjxZ

1x - 3M Double sided tape (enough for two LED strips): I just used some 3M tape I had lying around. 

Since we use a separate RGB controller, you do lose control of LED strips via the KS application. You can only change LED colors and patterns using the separate RGB controller remote. Not a big issue for me because I just set a pattern I like and leave the remote at home.

There are also no issues with drawing too much current from the board. Measured current draw and it's ~500 mA per 1 meter of 144 LEDs, which is equal to the standard KS LEDs. Just don't have them on full brightness and you should have no problems.

ifvUnkb.pngclxAPBc.png

• Like 2

This is a great mod @Jtn260, I've been meaning to pop open my shell and add in some 144/m strip and an esp8266 or esp32 since the existing animations are a bit naff. 

Where did you tap into the original 5v output, in the controller part of the shell?

• 4 months later...

the long leds connect to 2 dedicated spots on controller (braking leds are separate) - should be 3 pin - 5v, data,ground - you can buy these very cheap on amazon - ws2812 addressable led strip- just have to make sure you have the right length/led density (i cant remember offhand). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Artullas said:

@Jtn260 did you tried plugging it directly into the KS header? I would like to make this exact mod, but i would like to have my green light battery indication and speed-dependant patterns.

Do you know what happens if you plug this strip directly? Thanks

if you plug directly into the KS controller you will get the same output on leds as long as you buy the proper length/led density with 3 pin connector... see pics

674CECF3-5BB1-4729-B583-D030AD424375.jpeg

79B69875-38CA-4CD1-BA81-E0D9D6EFD5B9.jpeg

Edited by amelanso

• 3 weeks later...

led strips use 3 leads - 5v, grnd and signal. If u buy smthing with built in controller there is a program built into strip that sends on the signal channel ( wt lights to light when etc. ). so u will not get anything from the machine because signal will not be coming from the machine. if u want the lights to reflect native behavior dont buy smthing with a controller. just by plain ws 2812 3lead strips and plug them into the mboard. if u want to use new routines built into the strip, buy the version with controller but be sure u match voltage to the machine cuz many of those strips use 12v not 5v...

Edited by amelanso
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, amelanso said:

led strips use 3 leads - 5v, grnd and signal. If u buy smthing with built in controller there is a program built into strip that sends on the signal channel ( wt lights to light when etc. ). so u will not get anything from the machine because signal will not be coming from the machine. if u want the lights to reflect native behavior dont buy smthing with a controller. just by plain ws 2812 3lead strips and plug them into the mboard. if u want to use new routines built into the strip, buy the version with controller but be sure u match voltage to the machine cuz many of those strips use 12v not 5v...

But lets say you use a strip with the same specs but double the number of leds. It would only light up the first half? Or it would duplicate the pattern? Or wouldnt light at all?

That is the biggest question for me

8 hours ago, Artullas said:

But lets say you use a strip with the same specs but double the number of leds. It would only light up the first half? Or it would duplicate the pattern? Or wouldnt light at all?

That is the biggest question for me

If you put an addressable RGB LED strip that is more dense than 30/m in and connect it to the original controller data it will only light up the first 30, if you put in RGBW it will light less since the RGBW ones are expecting 4 color definitions instead of 3.

Here's a video showing the difference between the stock lights and replacement RGBW strip that is 144/m.

I've done a full swap for my 16X and put my own homebrew controller in, but the strips with built in controllers will be much more accessible for most people.

Also the Silicon Tubed (ip67) varieties of these strips are too large to fit into the housing, even what i'm using right now is a bit big. I had to remove the strip from the ip67 silicon tube and replace it with heatshrink to make it fit. Not shown in this photo but I sealed the end of the heatshrink with silicon.

CiaH6m6TbIhCeRC0NAoIWK5Z0AzG0WH851FfdslPdESw8mmkVy_-4R3wcaNxl-WL0R3VbtN3Ynq-SJVAVu9OmZgDOyRiFvmCyB_sw1rxOBig-QSBLs62cH0G57uLPzO2jFWiFCtv6e7ZXEOufY_Adtp-lyaf5uT0lxzMiRPssuvTRAEDsi4if8pgyZgw4r9Ree0u3bpYRe-BpM2gEU54G5sK5MVlGyGBVbJzFr9n_igGUx4M7DySEHnezSwGbaZQcvHWyebbYJs7iQjzttfnwZ03OMQ3kYQfYJvv8UJxKkTRDQeqfGQ4dRzUK4Nv22KHTeDe-Keq5irfFNHoPzmm7NEfOORjGGLgwD2-KbGn_TvOMXLvbcGLJFesIv_SdlbHd75ICp2Wp6WgOjsQhfhZU1rI-9xv-1zms67TlV4P51BZWFmXCpiBVvVVp91TNeBqL0VLVMiWeVZ7vRu9J082PD_6CymKjvcxBUcq4ukErNLKwxvDpWNaKtb47MElphd2QCYm4lTIlgJtxNXNfmT1fwk2JSgAzPTaAHHALDEBT2KnK28vKVHONKkgSrV0QBalHEeBbDU8eO_SRaP8-XPYAcRGvFbAAQbtbghcmt7zDamoOvjRBUBHxwz6o5mapm1PyY63T4-3nRicrA_Egm6Og2Bwmdrr6TjBMvivDGlGE21Uevaz0GNxNxec2DOWMQ=w546-h969-no?authuser=0

Keep in mind that doing this you will lose the battery level indicator lights, but gain a fair bit more otherwise.

Image may contain: one or more people and shoes

I'm in the process of documenting my lights replacement and may look to sell the controller, or at the very least publishing the code for it.

• Like 3

On 12/10/2020 at 7:58 PM, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

Also the Silicon Tubed (ip67) varieties of these strips are too large to fit into the housing, even what i'm using right now is a bit big. I had to remove the strip from the ip67 silicon tube and replace it with heatshrink to make it fit. Not shown in this photo but I sealed the end of the heatshrink with silicon

Aaaaah fuck me... there's not even tape on the back of theses LED... 

Can you explain what you did exactly? Your picture doesn't work

I bought a cheap controller with IR remote, for now.

On 12/10/2020 at 9:58 PM, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

Image may contain: one or more people and shoes

I'm in the process of documenting my lights replacement and may look to sell the controller, or at the very least publishing the code for it.

Dude this is gorgeous! Please document this replacement so i can see if i can do it myself!

I loved the results.

Btw, can you make it rs style, white on the front and red on the back? How do you control the leds?