Pedal angle mod to mitigate accidents

Boogieman

Reason 1, constant scraping asphalt in turns (snagging)

Reasons 2, constant snagging roots and rocks at offroad (falling)

Reason 3, align gyro cutout angle with "pedal hits ground angle" (warning before, but not too early)

1 & 2. Tired of pedals snagging stuff throwing me off in high soeed cornering or in the woods was the main reason for this mod

3. after i saw Chooch's video where he cutout in a velodrome, i thought it looked far to horisontal to cause a gyro based cutout. So I tested out the angle on my GW Tesla v1.2. before this i had demonstrated the cutout angle for 2 fellow eucist and they both agreed it was far more than 45 degrees. I totally agreed, looked like a cutout around 50-55°....

BUT....math is math...and eyes are eyes. So lets test it.

Before the video i tested this out several times with my calibrated galaxy s9+ clinometer (calibrated to a level of test equipment we use at work with pedigree accuracy...the iPhone was a few degrees off but the end result only differed around 2°...iPhone was not possible to get as accurate, but video on Samsung was a lot better so I still chose Apple as level and Samsung as video device)

I am aware that the flex in the handle bar removes some accury, but when testing by holding handle +wheel) it was less than 1° difference where it cuts out.

Also silver tape might seem bad, but i aligned the phone so that no buttons changed vertical angle from deviating from 0° and basically found the sweet spot where it JUST balanced around 0° and calibrated 0 point there. Tested other direction and cutout came around 1° later, probably board is not 100% level.. Or phone is not.

All in all the meassurement error is well below 4° (most likely around 2°.. At least it was with my Android and and result only differed a few degrees after several tests)

So, modification for permanent angled pedals on GW Tesla. Took some time to test out with metal glue as a start, then super tacky adhesive tape and then i realized i needed to go to the work shop and find the correct angle of the shims and a more permanent fastening solution (screws + metallic glue (loctite for metal) + loctite (blue))

Here is the result

AaS6xwo.jpg

GXNElQA.jpg

And this looks crazy...the angle... at least when you see pedal angle in video..im aware 😜

But I can only say what i experience and that is:

- MUCH better control of the wheel (after raising kuji pads to fit new higher position of ankle to match steeper pedals)

- Allmost Impossible to scrape pedals (except slow speed srapes, thats allmost allways possible unless wheel cutout first of course.. Which now is damn close)

- And about cutout, pedals touch ground just a few degrees before cutout, so the moment i feel something pushing pedal (or hear metal scraping)  i know i have to step back. A few degrees is A LOT when hovering around 40° degrees, its nothing you hit by "accident"...I hope 😁

Make up you own mind if this angle is possible to hit on a banked curved in gravel, with a bicycle tyre, in high speed. Personally i think it will be hard to hit that angle on ASPHALT even when tyre is Sticky(hot summer day)...well the amount of stickiness a bicycle can produce anyway :-)

Youtube obviously made quality CRAP but basically pedals touch around 38-39° and gyro cutout is around 40-41°. Hope You can see the angle readout if you change rez to 1080p, ore upload it was ultra clear at least even after rezizing from 4K to 1080p

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1