Tesla got wet

Mobbn'

Help please ! 
I have a Tesla and I left it out the other night in heavy fog . I woke to a high pitched noise from outside . I saw my Tesla turned on and making a high squeal not beeping but solid in sound . It wasn’t locked in balancing mode like when you turn it on but headlamp was and sound not allowing me to shit it off . I carried it in my house placing it close to heater to dry for a few days later when I woke up again . It’s dried out a few days and I charged it up today only to have nothing happen . If I put my ear to it I’ll hear a touch of noise kinda but no headlamp or power . I’m so bummed I run my dogs on this and they’ll eat my house if I can’t do this . What can I do ? I noticed the handle slightly up so when I pulled it up more I felt moistness in there before I dried it out . So bummed . What can I do ? 

pics, video?? listen to rocky.. these batteries are no joke, remove them from the euc asap.. inspect every part and thouroughly dry each part of the euc.. there is a chance it can be brought back, but if the damage is extensive more than likely you would need to be getting a new control board... what tesla version do you have?

i just re-read your post and you said you left it out, i thought you just rode through it... not to sound rude but why on earth would you ever leave your euc outside overnight??? go anywhere early morning and you can see the dew covering everything, unless ip67+ rated i would never leave anything outside overnight... you probably waited too long now and will at least need to replace the board.... you should have immediately taken it totally apart, separated and dried all components completely before testing then reassembling

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

... not to sound rude but why on earth would you ever leave your euc outside overnight??? go anywhere early morning and you can see the dew covering everything, unless ip67+ rated i

To be fair... I've done this. I've also forgotten my mten out in the rain. Why? Because some of us forget shit pretty easily or get sidetracked by squirrel sighting.

Sorry to hear about the tesla. I'd also not put it near anything flammable, since you are hearing odd noises and its not working properly.

• Like 2

haha if I remembered it was out back I would have but it’s been in rain before all night with no damage . The slide handle was up a touch allowing water in . . I’ll try to find what u said to open it up to get battery off and inspect . And get a picture of the model I have in a second . Man I’m bummed 

1 hour ago, Mobbn' said:

haha if I remembered it was out back I would have but it’s been in rain before all night with no damage . The slide handle was up a touch allowing water in . . I’ll try to find what u said to open it up to get battery off and inspect . And get a picture of the model I have in a second . Man I’m bummed 

wait actually it doesnt matter lol i was thinking of the nikola where some versions had the control board on the side and others on top.. tesla was always on top so thats a good thing... if you had it standing upright... it could just be the connectors in that case

As far as leaving you wheel outside. I take mine camping all of the time. I have a rack that holds 4 EUCs under a folding table with an over sized table cloth draping over the sides.  I have kept them like that for a week at a time. It always ends up raining at least one of the days. I have never had any trouble. Maybe I need to improve my storage. Maybe I'll use one of those garden tool storage boxes and add extra water proofing. 

I do keep them locked up with a cable through the wheels. 

3 hours ago, RockyTop said:

As far as leaving you wheel outside. I take mine camping all of the time. I have a rack that holds 4 EUCs under a folding table with an over sized table cloth draping over the sides.  I have kept them like that for a week at a time. It always ends up raining at least one of the days. I have never had any trouble. Maybe I need to improve my storage. Maybe I'll use one of those garden tool storage boxes and add extra water proofing. 

Use a big trash bag? You'll be able to use it for cleanup when you leave, or you can wear it as a poncho?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmethvin said:

Good idea. With all the crap that's happened in 2020, the last thing we need is a family of bears riding EUCs and terrorizing campers.

Damn bears!!.........Last year they got into the beer and stole grandma's jazzy chair. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RockyTop said:

interesting, i think youve been lucky lol... water damage doesnt happen often,, but more often than it should seeing as its completely avoidable.. every situation is slightly different and every euc.. could just be the position he left his in or something about the tesla making it more prone to water ingress, or just the part of the world hes in maybe there is way more humidity at this time of year there,, i would at least cover them even like shanesplanet said a garbage bad that will prevent a lot of moisture i think.. i dont think moisture itself is the problem, only if there is enough to build up and your euc is unlucky enough to have that water then find its way to components where it shouldnt be

• Like 1

Ok new thought maybe after looking inside and seeing nothing so far but it also didn’t look like the water came in through the handles . They’d miss the board completely .  I haven’t figured out how to remove the board yet . But I wonder if you accidentally leave it on for 2 days ,  what do u think would happen ? Idk . Just a thought . I’m trying to find how to pull mother board but I got all the connections off battery .   Oh and I have the one with holes pointing up under headlamp. Or maybe moisture got in that . Their was water down the rails of handle but they miss the board completely so ....  I’ll take a multi meter to my batteries to test their charge .. I’ll be back . 

2 hours ago, Mobbn' said:

Ok new thought maybe after looking inside and seeing nothing so far but it also didn’t look like the water came in through the handles . They’d miss the board completely .  I haven’t figured out how to remove the board yet . But I wonder if you accidentally leave it on for 2 days ,  what do u think would happen ? Idk . Just a thought . I’m trying to find how to pull mother board but I got all the connections off battery .   Oh and I have the one with holes pointing up under headlamp. Or maybe moisture got in that . Their was water down the rails of handle but they miss the board completely so ....  I’ll take a multi meter to my batteries to test their charge .. I’ll be back . 

yes it would on the top mounted board, but that doesnt mean condensation wont build up there... if theres any opening it can easily build up inside.. theres lots of youtube videos showing how to completely disassemble the tesla, the battery charge level should be unaffected so testing with a multimeter unless the connector is destroyed should come out fine, youll probably need to check all of the connections and the board to get a better picture but just because you cant see anything doesnt mean something on the board isnt damaged, its not likely to go up in smoke from that so youll need to check everything... if the batteries and their connectors are fine and everything on the board appears fine, no obvious damage but its still not working then youll likely just need to replace it... the motor will be unaffected, the batteries are pretty well sealed so they should be fine theyre connectors can be replaced if need be but i doubt it, probably just something on the board shorted or one of the connectors from the board... you might get lucky though if you pull everything out and make sure its all dried completely it may just work again ive seen it happen

• Like 1

Well my meter didn’t go high enough for these batteries but when I touched a connection the biggest pop happened so I’d say batteries are fine . I can’t see anything on the motherboard even pulled and yeah I get that it’s not always detected by the eye but we’re talking water here , I’d think I’d see some frying or something . But if water got into where the buttons are in front , what would they short out ? I’ve looked for Tesla tear down only found one do far and not sure if they do into the front buttons yet .. so I’ll have to find how to pull the front open and look there too . I want something to jump out at me and show me so it goes faster . haha theirs no fuse anywhere in this thing eh?? 

2 minutes ago, Mobbn' said:

Well my meter didn’t go high enough for these batteries but when I touched a connection the biggest pop happened so I’d say batteries are fine . I can’t see anything on the motherboard even pulled and yeah I get that it’s not always detected by the eye but we’re talking water here , I’d think I’d see some frying or something . But if water got into where the buttons are in front , what would they short out ? I’ve looked for Tesla tear down only found one do far and not sure if they do into the front buttons yet .. so I’ll have to find how to pull the front open and look there too . I want something to jump out at me and show me so it goes faster . haha theirs no fuse anywhere in this thing eh?? 

didnt go high enough? smallest ive seen was up to 200V, interesting... haha the pop is another indicator xD i think a short would usually not show any signs, at least not to the naked eye.. unless that short caused enough stress on something else to fry to it... the panels you just literally pop off like they are just clipped in with friction same as mten3 and mcm5, jarring to remove them but no screws or anything.. the front buttons SHOULD be waterproof, but of course should is a term used loosely with eucs especially made by gotway.. no fuse in GW wheels no

Yeah opened to find them closed !  haha I wish I could get a picture on this ..  I’ll figure out how you do the URL , whatever that means.. I’ll ask my son . But idk looked through the board and can’t see a split yet . My multi meter only goes to 9v .  2&9v settings that I know of or see . Has resistance amps and such but nothing higher on volts I know about . For tha battery test . Is their a board with the buttons up front ? Something fry on that ? (If there’s one)?

AND THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP ! 
sorry I haven’t 

mentioned it sooner .  Pulled in a few directions at the moment .. so saying it now . Thanks for the help and input ..xx

17 hours ago, Mobbn' said:

Yeah opened to find them closed !  haha I wish I could get a picture on this ..  I’ll figure out how you do the URL , whatever that means.. I’ll ask my son . But idk looked through the board and can’t see a split yet . My multi meter only goes to 9v .  2&9v settings that I know of or see . Has resistance amps and such but nothing higher on volts I know about . For tha battery test . Is their a board with the buttons up front ? Something fry on that ? (If there’s one)?

9V what the hell is the point of that haha just gonna measure AA batteries or something lol... what do you mean board with the buttons up front? you mean like a separate daughter board? only the new msx/monster have that and they are right beside each other theres never a separate board somewhere else

head down and buy a proper multimeter. You dont need anything fancy, but at least one with a digital readout. Yuo can find a usefull cheap dmm for $20 nowadays. Some of those old cheap analog are very limiting. Keep us posted if you got it working or not!

I don’t think I know how to use it at that way . I’m sure it has it . Not where I test my car battery and lower tho . 

im wondering what kind of button it has ? Because of the lights being changed there too . But I would like to start easiest first . It’s all torn  apart And front buttons are out . They have hot glee on  the back of them for waterproofing . I do see bare mettle on the bottom sticking out . Like two short prongs . Anyway thinking on what was activated when this gloom happened . It was beeping and headlight on . And a solid beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep  and I couldn’t turn it off . So I let it beep away till morning . Off . Now I turn it on and I hear the faintest beeeeeeeeegggggegegegep  if u put your ear to it . No activation of anything else . So ............ which  wires are these and where do they run ? Something in the front buttons or ? I unplug the batteries to reset the attempt . I charged it twice but still until I learn this higher part of DC I’m just blowing air huh. Cuz if it’s battery then solved . Ok I’ll be back . 

Your batteries are getting dangerously low. Be careful of allowing them to continue until totally dead, as you run the risk of damaging them or something worse.  Car batteries are well under 20V. You will be looking at voltages above and below that, in an euc. A self ranging meter is pretty much a no frills DVM that automatically tells you the voltage for 0V on up to 100's.  I can't really advise you much, but i can assume the buttons are low voltage and monitored by the board. Not really an on/off switch like you see in cases where it just breaks the circuit. You MAY want to charge the wheel and do your testing in a safe environ. I would also suggest wearing rubber shoes at least. It sounds like you may be a tiny bit under the limit of electrical knowledge, for me to be of much help. Just be careful is all, and always smell for oddities and try not to use both hands at the same time, when testing circuits. One hand behind the back is a good practice. Perhaps theres an electronics guru in Santa Maria, you can pay to help? Lots of people out of work atm, doesnt hurt to ask, maybe theyll cut you a deal on their labor rate...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1