Can anyone of your EUCs be remote controlled?

Planetpapi

The new Ninebot Mini can be remote controlled. I'm wondering if there are any off-the-shelf components that make EUC remote controlled. Currently there is no real business case but just wondering.

Let's say I go on my bike and my Ninebot should just follow me like a dog, without any one riding on it. There are some quad copters that does it but I don't know how they do it.

It would not be possible with an EU.  Without a rider or mechanical device to balance and steer it, it would just topple over.

The Ninebot Mini has two wheels so it can control balance and direction using the two motors without a rider.  The follow-me mode is controlled using a bluetooth connection from a smartphone and is very limited to what it can do as well.  It will only move slowly and you have to continuously provide input on the direction to go.  It is a cool feature though.

The quad copters that have the follow-me mode are able to hone in on a device you wear on your arm.  The device transmits your position to the quad (GPS coordinates in some cases but I don't know if it works that way for all).  The quad can then move to keep you in it's view.  The pilot is still responsible for altitude control of the quad to make sure it doesn't crash into anything.  

Isn't there a potential problem with the remote control feature with a drone, that it might latch on to an erroneous signal or a stray signal and fly off never to be found again. 

I recall on another board that someone found a drone on their farm, and a fellow board member said that the likely cause was the person flew the drone beyond the signal (or at the strength of the signal) and it latched on to another "signal" and flew off.  I realize this is unlikely with our EUCs, but having a live ping that could control the wheel could lead to some rather unexpected behavior.

Just my thoughts, 

Cheers,

Jim

2 minutes ago, JFP9 said:

Isn't there a potential problem with the remote control feature with a drone, that it might latch on to an erroneous signal or a stray signal and fly off never to be found again. 

I recall on another board that someone found a drone on their farm, and a fellow board member said that the likely cause was the person flew the drone beyond the signal (or at the strength of the signal) and it latched on to another "signal" and flew off.  I realize this is unlikely with our EUCs, but having a live ping that could control the wheel could lead to some rather unexpected behavior.

Just my thoughts, 

Cheers,

Jim

The better drones have a fail safe that will prevent them from being lost like the one you mentioned.  When the drone takes off, it will remember that as being "home" by recording the GPS coordinate of that spot.  If the drone loses signal, it will fly to a pre-set altitude (i.e. 100ft), fly back home, then slowly descend until it lands.  

For something that is land based, the safest behavior is to just have it come to a stop if it detects an interruption in signal.

Stray signals are not as much of a problem as they used to be now that the signals are all digital.  In the old days of RC, you had a finite number of channels available.  These channels were determined by the RF crystal you used.  So if you wanted to change channels, you had to change the crystal on both the transmitter and receiver.  And if you were flying or driving and someone else with that same channel turned on their radio, it could cause you to lose control and crash.

Archived