Ninebot ES2 stopped working after period of inactivity

Camb350

Hi all, i tried searching this before asking however i couldnt seem to find any information on how to resolve this.

Ive had my ES2 for almost 2 years and have used it every few weeks. A couple of months ago i plugged it in to charge and forgot about it. I went to use it, unplugged it, went to turn it on and nothing happened. I tried charging it again but it made no difference, the charger would sometimes display the green light, other times the red light. Thinking it was the charger i replaced that but it didnt make a difference.

Is the battery likely to have fallen below the charge threshold? Is there a way to force a charge on it or test with a multimeter? Or could it be something else (charging port, display unit? is there a way to troubleshoot and narrow the issues down?)

Thanks

• Like 1

I would check the battery voltage. Most chargers charge the batteries then turn off. Some chargers will drain the batteries slowly if left hooked up. The Z10 guys have a way to charge the batteries back up if they are too low. There are many videos on YouTube for charging the Z10 after the batteries got too low. 

@Chriull

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I would check the battery voltage. Most chargers charge the batteries then turn off. Some chargers will drain the batteries slowly if left hooked up. The Z10 guys have a way to charge the batteries back up if they are too low. There are many videos on YouTube for charging the Z10 after the batteries got too low. 

@Chriull

THIS!! At least on my rc lipos and such, once they get too low, even my bmax charger wont put a drop in them. Some kind of protection, safety. I can 'cheat' it by hitting it with voltage under a different battery program, but only for a moment and then back to the lipo settings. I dont know battery chemistry, but it sounds dangerous. Be that as it may, sometimes it works and I get to use it. Having a TON of cells like an euc, i dont know if your chances are better or worse. Look up the answer on youtube. Remember, always assume its more dangerous than the guy on the channel makes it out to be. Good luck!

5 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I dont know battery chemistry, but it sounds dangerous

Batteryuniversity.com strongly recommends to dispose li ion cells that were below 2-2.5V for some days/a week. Don't remember the exact values...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

So,   I would need to know the battery voltage. Divide by 20 to get cell voltage. It might not even be the batteries. 

Which could not easily measurable - if some protection circuit cut off one has a high ohmic voltage divider between mosfet and multimeter and measures senseless values.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i often find that even a ninebot charger led turns green, it is still drawing too much power and I wonder whether it over charges the batteries. I am soon replacing the charger with one that cuts of when the voltage reaches a certain point, so it only charges to eg 90%

The other thing I find that the Ninebot BMS is always on. If you don't charge the ninebot for a few weeks it will go to zero. My friend didn't charge his ninebot Mini and the battery pack died. I suspect the BMS  will sit there drawing power until the batteries die.

The only way to revive that pack is to crack it open, and test the voltage of the cells and find if all cells are alive and then charge each at a time until they have enough voltage for the BMS to recharge normally. I would not try to charge through the discharge ports, like I did. I found one of the components got hot and sat there drawing power from all the cells and got very hot. By the time it cooled down and I was able to open it I found the out of 32 cells only 7 were still alive.  The "hot" component had discharged the batteries to the point it had killed them.

If you are not going to fix it, crack it open and harvest the batteries, don't play with it like it I did.