New KS-14S 20km/h Speed Limit unlock ?

NunoF

My new KS-14D* is limited to 20km/h. 

I use Darknessbot on IOS since there is no Kingsong app available right now in the US

Anyone knows how to unlock the wheel to its full 18 mph potential?

I also have a KS-16X (also using Darknessbot) that I was able to unlock with Darknessbot.

Thanks!

Nuno

PS: I have obviously searched everything online and only found two relevant results, one and old post using the old Kingsong app that I cannot download anymore, and two, Darknessbot support team saying (relative to another wheel) that they could not unlock the speed limit for wheels made for the Chinese market.

*Corrected the original post where by mistake I referred to the wheel as a KS-14S. In the process of trying to unlock the speed limit I looked up the serial number, and when decoding it realized I had bought a 14D instead of a 14S (also easily confirmed by the shape of the side padding).

Edited by NunoF
Mistake in wheel model
  • Like 1

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

Do you have a friend with an Android phone? Maybe EUC World works.

Thank you for the suggestion!

I do have friends with Android but with the COVID-19 situation and the shelter in place here in California it's going to be hard to convince anyone to meet in person for a while.

I am still researching and finding relevant links (provided below), but I would still need to use the old Kingsong App

I've also read comments that the wheel may unlock automatically after reaching 200Km mileage. Since I also have a much more fun and fast KS16X  , I can't imagine riding 200Km on a KS14S limited to 13 mph....

I'll keep on searching thanks!

https://kingsongunlocker.github.io/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU86jBo4_VY

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NunoF said:

PS: I have obviously searched everything online and only found two relevant results, one and old post using the old Kingsong app that I cannot download anymore, and two, Darknessbot support team saying (relative to another wheel) that they could not unlock the speed limit for wheels made for the Chinese market.

THIS is what always scares me. Hopefully you got it from a legit dealer and it gets sorted for you. Give EUCW a try if you can. The mileage to unlock varies by wheel, I dont have a clue what yours is. Can you see the settings and set them LOWER in darkness bot? My 18L 'unlocked automatically', but i still had to manually raise the tiltback and alarm limits to the higher unlocked value. Please keep us updated.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

THIS is what always scares me. Hopefully you got it from a legit dealer and it gets sorted for you. Give EUCW a try if you can. The mileage to unlock varies by wheel, I dont have a clue what yours is. Can you see the settings and set them LOWER in darkness bot? My 18L 'unlocked automatically', but i still had to manually raise the tiltback and alarm limits to the higher unlocked value. Please keep us updated.

Thank you for your comment!

No, I can't set settings LOWER through Darkness for my KS14S.

I already emailed the dealer but haven't received a reply from them yet. Depending on how this goes I might be alerting the community to not buy from them, I'll wait to see how they respond.

My 16X (bought at a retail shop in SF), like your 18L  also unlocked automatically.

Just went out to get the 14S a few more Kms on it but still no luck in unlocking it.

I had to suffer  through 12 miles at a max speed of 12 mph before my new KS18XL would let me raise the speed limit.  

My 16S was a China home market wheel and that wheel had to be unlocked remotely by the factory via the selling dealer.

How many miles on your 14S?

Bruce

Edited by PennBruce

PennBruce thank you for your reply,

My KS16X ** also unlocked automatically at 12 miles like your 18XL, 

I just completed 13 miles today on the KS14D*  hoping to unlock it, but it didn't, unfortunately.

*just realized it's a KS14D not a KS14S, but the speed limit should be the same)

** (The question some may be wondering) Why the heck did I buy a KS14D if I also have a much better KS16X?, complicated story: I ordered a KS14D  back in January from an online shop but the wheel took forever to arrive. In the meanwhile, since I was desperate to get a wheel and learn to ride EUCs, I found out there was a retail shop in San Francisco (close to where I live) with some wheels in stock, went there and bought a KS16X. I tried to teach myself to ride it but after 4 hours didn't make much progress and had a nasty fall hitting my hip hard on the ground (had full face helmet, knee and elbow pads, but no hip protection). Had to wait a few days for the pain to go away and be able to walk straight again,  in the meantime the 14D arrived. Being a much lighter wheel, along with a few more hours of studying youtube videos during the recovery from the fall, I learned to ride it in just 2 hours and felt it was much easier to learn on the KS14D because it was so light and maneuverable . But after just a few km with it, decided to try the 16X again and was able to ride it immediately, and loved it, so much that I didn't go back to the 14D in the next week. Now that I am very comfortable riding both I wanted to explore the 14D for fun and realized it doesn't go any faster than 12mph.

21 minutes ago, NunoF said:

I ordered a KS14D  back in January from an online shop but the wheel took forever to arrive. 

Contact the selling dealer and get them involved. 

Bruce

Already did thanks, still waiting to hear from them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2020 at 12:52 AM, PennBruce said:

Contact the selling dealer and get them involved. 

Bruce

Just to close this small thread that I had initiated, with the happy end of the story  - i.e. how we were able to unlock the speed limit on a KS14D that had been manufactured and released for the Chinese market (see the bold highlight below if you just want the punch line):

The dealer (not eWheels)  was completely useless. (and why the hell did I order a wheel online from someone else other than eWheels!? because I was completely ignorant of the EUC scene, and when I googled on my iPad to look for an online store to buy an EUC, the eWheels page wasn't loading right at that time, and I went for the other page that looked much better and was working well.)

Luckily, after buying my 3rd and 4th wheels from eWheels, and being in touch with them quite a bit to fix an issue with my new GW Monster V3/100V (which we/they solved promptly) I asked them if they could help me with a wheel I had bought from someone else. And without hesitation, Jason helped unlock the speed limit on my KS-14D. 

The solution consisted in re-serializing the wheel with the SoftTuner App (I only have iPhone/IOS). Changing its serial number enabled the DarknessBot option to change the speed limit.

I can't praise eWheels and Jason enough for providing free, prompt, effective service to a wheel they didn't sell. 

• Like 2

Jason (eWheels) is a treasure.

Bruce

Edited by PennBruce
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, Helpmepls said:

How do you change the serial number?

As I said above, with the "SoftTuner" App (IOS).

I logged in with user info provided by eWheels (which for obvious reasons I won't share) and followed Jason's instructions.

If you are a eWheels customer it's likely that they will also help you. 

Hope this helps.