Keeping it safe

EddyQ

Is there any way of locking them up safely, let's say on the footpath with some kind of bike chain with a custom clasp to attach to the (as I call it) 'wheelie thing'?

The problem with having these is that you have to keep it with you at all times if you're out and about. Most shops won't let you take them inside (pubs too)and I need somewhere/some way to keep it safe.

Thanks...

Ive never had an issue taking the wheel inside a store or a bar. Maybe ots different where you are. But i think you are asking for rejection by asking the question. The trick is : dont ask. You are not doing anything wrong. Just take it in, and it will be fine and noone will say anything. If you ask then will of course say no - when people deal with something they dont understand they get scared - its a natural instinct.

alternatively you can swing a bike chain around the handle ( unless you have a ninebot:)) and chain it to something.

I put one of those kickstarter locating 'Tiles' inside mine so if anyone tries to run off with it I can track them down slap their face, and get it back.

Does anyone know of a bike chain style lock that would keep it safe though? People can nick off with them too easily if you're not looking.

images.jpg

1 hour ago, Hank said:

A key lock type mechanism would be nice - like the ignition on a car...  no key, no power!

Woukdnt really work with eucs. They are light enough to carry. I dint think a thief will ride the wheel he steals - he has to be a specialized thief who knows how to ride them.

14 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Woukdnt really work with eucs. They are light enough to carry. I dint think a thief will ride the wheel he steals - he has to be a specialized thief who knows how to ride them.

Maybe a self destruct button on the car key device they sent me lol

58 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Thief would just walk off and sell on craigist for a few bucks. Bikes thieves are all over here in the US. 

You could probably build a switch that fries the electronics if turned on "wrong". The problem is that it's already late because the thief is probably on his way when this happens. Or you forget about it yourself and fry it. Now you have a 15KG of manual wheel:).

An evil man would program the wheel to cut off around 26 kph if turned on without right phone /code.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I haven't had a problem bringing my 16-inch wheel into coffee shops, bars, or stores and keeping it next to me. I've brought it on the subway and buses as well with no issues. I have a small cable lock that I keep in my backpack, I'll lock the wheel to a chair or something through the handle if I have to run to the toilet. I also have a Kensington lock that would be useful for this kind of thing but you'd need to install a Kensington anchor point to your wheel somewhere. These won't stop someone with wire cutters but I don't generally worry about this for a 5-minute bathroom break in a store with a half-dozen people in it.

12 hours ago, EddyQ said:

I put one of those kickstarter locating 'Tiles' inside mine so if anyone tries to run off with it I can track them down slap their face, and get it back.

Does anyone know of a bike chain style lock that would keep it safe though? People can nick off with them too easily if you're not looking.

images.jpg

I have something similar to this on my keys, but it's bluetooth so if its more than X amount of meters away from I won't be able to track it anyway, is yours different?

Also like other people have mentioned - I take mine everywhere, shops, restaurants, on London Underground everyday etc. never had anyone say anything.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Nobody should have a problem with you bringing an EUC inside, as long as it isn't getting dirt everywhere it's no different than having a bag really.

I think like this also, then if a shop don't want me to bring my euc I just go somewhere else there they don't hate money.

Btw I don't drive in the shop so there should not be a problem. 

In relation to keeping my 9Bot One E+ safe, I'd ask you all to have a look at the pic and ask yourselves this question.....

Would I reach over the top of an ex guard dog Rotweiller and knock off this guys 9Bot and a bottle of his fine wine or wont I?

image.jpg

Ive brought my euc in literally everywhere. The only time i had a problem was to bring it into a municipal building where they are xraying everything you are bringing in. They didnt let me in there with the wheel. It was only once. Other wise, all stores, bars, buildings, restaurants - noone had a problem and i even rode inside many stores and noone said anything, 

The one I have is one of the 2 wheeled hoverboards. I just want to know if there is some kind of custom bike lock for them so I can tie them up safely.
For example, if I'm at a pub that is busy and I want to keep it safe from theft inside or out, is there something I can use to chain it up to a pole?

Archived