GoPro Hero 7 Black GPS overlay seems off

16 hours ago, travsformation said:

I just bought a Hero 7 Black. I plan on using it as a "dashcam" on my helmet when city riding, and for more "back-to-basics" video-making for when I can't be assed with the whole 360 reframing business... 

The telemetry is great to have, but I'm finding it to be very innacurate, reporting speeds higher than reality (as in 18 km/h when I was passing pedestrians going just barely faster than walking speed), and very slow to respond to speed changes. Could it be an issue with my camera? Does it make a difference whether you set recording from your phone or from the gopro, does the gps data always come from the camera?

6 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

The GPS data is muxed into the mp4 container and comes from the GoPro. I don't think connecting with a phone affects that.
My GoPro has a bit of a delay when showing speed and is a bit behind by around -2 kmh.
It's good enough still and much better than nothing.

Here is a short sample:

Thanks, @Mike Sacristan!

Good to know it doesn't matter whether I'm initiating the recording from the camera itself or my phone, since it's much easier to start annd stop recording from my phone when the camera is on my helmet...

Looking at your video, your GPS data is much more "responsive" / quick to change. It also seems much more accurate. Take a look at mine, I quoted a few specific examples below, but you'll notice right away that the speed variations don't correspond at all with my acceleration and deceleration, as seen in the footage....

• 0:20-0:30: Speed only varies by 1 kph, despite the fact I slowed down for the pedestrian crossing, crossed going 1/2 the speed, then accelerated. No change in speed was recorded. Same with the crossing at 0:44. The small variations in speed aren't recorded at all.
  • 1:12: I came to a standstill and the camera is still registering 11 kph (faster than the 10 kph it says I'm going a few seconds later, when I'm actually accelerating)
  • 1:46: Notice how the 18 kph remains unchanged for a long time, later registering lower speeds when I was clearly going faster...

What do you reckon? Could it be because I was in the city? It was a clear day, not a cloud in sight, and EUC World (GPS data, from my phone) reported correctly...I'm hoping it isn't the in-built GPS, 'cause I've already thrown away the box... :whistling:

6 hours ago, travsformation said:

Looking at your video, your GPS data is much more "responsive" / quick to change. It also seems much more accurate. Take a look at mine, I quoted a few specific examples below, but you'll notice right away that the speed variations don't correspond at all with my acceleration and deceleration, as seen in the footage....

• 0:20-0:30: Speed only varies by 1 kph, despite the fact I slowed down for the pedestrian crossing, crossed going 1/2 the speed, then accelerated. No change in speed was recorded. Same with the crossing at 0:44. The small variations in speed aren't recorded at all.
  • 1:12: I came to a standstill and the camera is still registering 11 kph (faster than the 10 kph it says I'm going a few seconds later, when I'm actually accelerating)
  • 1:46: Notice how the 18 kph remains unchanged for a long time, later registering lower speeds when I was clearly going faster...

What do you reckon? Could it be because I was in the city? It was a clear day, not a cloud in sight, and EUC World (GPS data, from my phone) reported correctly...I'm hoping it isn't the in-built GPS, 'cause I've already thrown away the box... :whistling:

Try rendering all the gauges. The G-force gauge for instance is usually very active and the Speed Tracker gauge will also give an idea of the resolution of the sampling going on.

You have the GoPro on your head so that is as good a place as any. The GPS sensor is at the top of the camera so as long as you don't have the camera upside down it will be able to do it's best. It looks like it's not locking too well though. You should try using a GPS speedometer app on your phone and see how many GPS locks you can get. Or UAV Forecast.

Perhaps you could also try doing a recording without being connected to your phone and with WiFi off to rules out wireless interference.
Turn on the GoPro outside, wait a few minutes, record.

If you use the power on / quick record mode then GPS will almost always fail. You can also just as well test all of this walking and holding the camera so you don't have to fiddle around with it while riding, etc.

On the other hand... who walks anymore lol.

24:44

• Like 2