Steelbird helmets - good or bad ?

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a helmet shortly and rather like the look of the Steelbird ones as in this link :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steelbird-Air-SBA-2-Full-Face-Motorbike-Helmet-Safe-Stylish-Regular-Size-Blue/372898300664?hash=item56d27882f8:m:m2OLPfZ2S9rE4-h3v9bod6Q

My concern though is how easy is it to hear traffic noise etc? I really like to hear clearly what's happening around me and anything that muffles sound significantly is a non starter to me. I appreciate any full face helmet is going to deaden sound to some degree but I'd like to keep it to a minimum.

I guess the obvious answer is to buy a non full face but I'm inclined to think in the event of a fall from an EUC then it's likely to be the chin and/or sides of the head that are most vulnerable - it would seem to me that non full face cycle helmets are of limited use?

Are Steelbird helmets any good ? They are posted from India and are only about £65 so I'm wondering about their quality - I'm not a speed maniac but I'd like something that will at least give adequate protection at perhaps 25mph.

Many thanks :)

19 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

Thanks @RetroThruster that looks to be a practical helmet with the detachable chin guard, I'd be interested to know what you think of it once it arrives (in particular how well you can hear traffic noise) :)

It was shipped today so I should have it by thursday or friday.  Seems like I remember one report stating that it's not a very quiet helmet but they were of course using it while riding a motorcycle at street/hwy speeds, for us, a helmet that allows you to hear your surroundings is probably a plus, I'll post up my findings when it arrives.

Update.  Received the helmet today, it's too small, I usually wear a large size helmet but I read where these run small so I ordered an XL  and it's still too small, I'm sending this one back for a 2XL (never thought I'd wear a 2xl helmet), so if you have a large head, I'd pass on it altogether.  I did notice that it's almost impossible to put the helmet on with the chin bar attached because it's so close to your chin but it does have some nice features when it's removed which is probably the way I'll use it most.  I'll update when the replacement arrives.  If I had it to do over again honestly, I'd go for the Steelbird but I didn't want to wait, now look at me, waiting anyways:(

• Like 1

Thanks for the update @RetroThrusterI'm sorry to hear it doesn't fit though :(

I did a bit more research into the Steelbird brand and apparently they are long running company making motorcycle helmets in India, most reviews seem to think they are of reasonable quality for the low price. I'll take a chance and order one and hope I can still hear traffic noise through it.

I'd still be interested to hear what the Fly Tourist is like once your replacement arrives.

• Like 1

I bought a Steelbird helmet last year. In my opinion it is an average helmet for the price. The helmet is heavy, has poor padding, and generally uncomfortable. It was not worth the hassle to send it back to the seller in India. I did use the Steelbird as a face mask when trying to unclog a drain with chemicals. I'd take my bike helmet over the Steelbird. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RetroThruster said:

Update.  Received the helmet today, it's too small, I usually wear a large size helmet but I read where these run small so I ordered an XL  and it's still too small, I'm sending this one back for a 2XL (never thought I'd wear a 2xl helmet), so if you have a large head, I'd pass on it altogether.  I did notice that it's almost impossible to put the helmet on with the chin bar attached because it's so close to your chin but it does have some nice features when it's removed which is probably the way I'll use it most.  I'll update when the replacement arrives.  If I had it to do over again honestly, I'd go for the Steelbird but I didn't want to wait, now look at me, waiting anyways:(

I have the fly helmet, and yes all the reviews say to order 1-2 sizes up. I wear a med/lg, and the xl fits perfectly. It’s a pretty impressive helmet for money.  I love how quick it is to change face shields. So far it’s a great warm helmet for nyc Winter wind!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

I have the fly helmet, and yes all the reviews say to order 1-2 sizes up. I wear a med/lg, and the xl fits perfectly. It’s a pretty impressive helmet for money.  I love how quick it is to change face shields. So far it’s a great warm helmet for nyc Winter wind!

Yeah, I have a couple of Fly helmets (Dirt Trekker size large) already but this XL Tourist is waaaay smaller, hopefully I fit into the 2 size up bracket (xxl), if not, I'll just stick to what I have or try a 3/4 helmet, I have plenty right now, just wanted something a little different than what I already have.

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 2