Mten3 charging question

Sorry if this has been covered previously but I received a new Mten3 325/84 a few weeks ago and every time I plug it in to charge I am hearing a significant arcing/popping sound when I plug the charger into the wheel, I take care to make sure the plug pins are properly aligned and that the charger is NOT plugged into the wall outlet beforehand, it charges fine but is a little concerning. TIA

Edited by RetroThruster

I plug the brick in and turn it on for a second

then turn it off 

then plug it into the EUC and turn it on

no snap crackle or pop

No pop either if you plug it in hot, but I’m sure everyone will tell you you’ll burn down the house and blow up the Gotway if you do that...

• Like 1

I have a Tesla and Mten3, popping can be normal even when you do it "the supposed right way"

For me when I charge I plug the power supply in and let it warm up for a minute, then I connect it to the the EUC. Never had any loud popping doing it this way (just little pops very rarely).

When I finish charging (80-90% for most cycles) I unplug the EUC and then the power supply. However this order doesn't really matter for most modern official power supplies.

If you have really loud consistent popping then you might have an imbalance in the battery pack(s) (more commonly between battery packs since most large capacity EUCs have split power banks). This could be a failure of the BMS or it could just be the voltage leveling out between the cells.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it persists, just always be present when you are charging anything Li-Ion.

• Like 1

Okay, thanks for the input!  I had an Alta electric motorcycle and they always said to plug it in in the order I mentioned above so that's all I've been used to really, I've always done this with my 16x which I'm sure is totally different but never heard this loud arcing before I got the Mten.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 1:53 PM, Trevor Phillips said:

I plug the brick in and turn it on for a second

then turn it off 

then plug it into the EUC and turn it on

no snap crackle or pop

No pop either if you plug it in hot, but I’m sure everyone will tell you you’ll burn down the house and blow up the Gotway if you do that...

I did this today and it worked, thank you very much!!

The difference between (most) Gotways and other EUCs/EVs is that the charge connector on the Gotway is hot. As in, directly connected to the battery, so battery voltage is exposed at the connector pins.

This is important to know, since for example clumsily trying to connect the charger with keys dangling in the same hand can cause a serious issue, anything from a charred connector to a house burned down.

This is also why the charger pops when connected to Gotway first, as the voltages at the output side of the charger immediately jump to the same voltage with the battery.

That is also what any ”Correct Way” doesn’t take in consideration.

I don’t know how much of a stress the pop is to the charger, but I would definitely use a method that doesn’t pop, if one exists, no matter what is supposedly ”The Correct Way”. I tend to power up the charger first in any case.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1