Applying the KS18XL 2.0 Firmware and Performing a Range Test

Marty Backe

Great video, as usual! :thumbup: I was very curious your opinion about 2.0 firmware.

A one note - with new 2.0 firmware there is new wheel behaviour: after turning on it won't start balancing if the wheel is not vertically level. I see Marty experienced this during subsequent restart after low-battery tiltback :) And one tip - KS-18L/XL goes into this 45° tiltback when battery voltage drops to 60 V or below. So to avoid this it's good to watch voltage and ride gently enough to keep battery voltage above 60 V.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Seba said:

Great video, as usual! :thumbup: I was very curious your opinion about 2.0 firmware.

A one note - with new 2.0 firmware there is new wheel behaviour: after turning on it won't start balancing if the wheel is not vertically level. I see Marty experienced this during subsequent restart after low-battery tiltback :) And one tip - KS-18L/XL goes into this 45° tiltback when battery voltage drops to 60 V or below. So to avoid this it's good to watch voltage and ride gently enough to keep battery voltage above 60 V.

Interesting. I assumed why it would not balance was because the battery was too low and it still hadn't recovered enough since I turned it off. But no, it was because I hadn't leveled the wheel. Thanks for the tip.

Of course I don't recommend driving the wheel to 45-degree tilt-back, but it's interesting to see how it behaves at that extreme low voltage.

Edited by Marty Backe

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Interested. I assumed why it would balance was because the battery was too low and it still hadn't recovered enough since I turned it off. But no, it was because I hadn't leveled the wheel. Thanks for the tip.

When I experienced this for first time I was also surprised and at first though that I did something wrong or something got screwed up. But soon I realized that this is just a new "feature", undocumented in release notes. Well, it makes sense - for example if you want to use your wheel as a BT speaker and don't want engine to engage.

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Of course I don't recommend driving the wheel to 45-degree tilt-back, but it's interesting to see how it behaves at that extreme low voltage.

Yeah, it's always better not to drain the battery to empty, but... sometimes you just don't have a choice if you don't want to walk remaining distance :) And this is why I implemented "optimized" battery level: to mentally keep the less experienced riders from emptying battery and making the wheel unrideable before reaching their destination or a charging stop.

• Like 2