Dreaded N10?

Paulandjacquelyn

Hi,

I just received my E+ from Amazon today and it is a N10 serial.  Also, it did not come with a us electrical adapter.   I am thinking these may be a dump from other country

because there is a sticker that on side that says "China Expo Milan Italy 2015".     Is this a normal sticker?  The price was $799, no tax, free two day ship so not bad but then again maybe bad?  Have not used it and did charge it using another cord to the charger.   I was like a kid on christmas until I saw the N10!  lol.

Several have said that there is a difference between N10 and N20 but no one has defined the difference other than the speed from new app?  Different motor? Different battery? Different motherboard?  Surely someone knows?

Thank you!

I would send it back unused if possible.  I don't know all of the differences, but I know you want the best (and newest) as you might live with this thing for a while.  I had a friend with a lesser model, luck of the draw, but the differences in the performance of our machines was obvious.  My friend's wouldn't do this, for example. 

IMG_6170.jpg

Also, the app is showing battery at 450wh....is that an error? I have not used this just set up on phone and connected.  Is there away to determine that it's an actual E+ vs an E other than a sticker on the box? Seems like that would be an issue.  The mileage that it post on app with full battery shows 13 ml ....I thought it would be closer to 20? 

I like the idea of buying through Amazon because of great return policy.  

dpong- is the difference between you and friend 2 miles more per hour?  Just curious. I'm guessing if I love this thing I'll end up with a P in the next few months and maybe this goes to my wife if I keep it.

450wh is definitely an error.   Perhaps you are looking at the distance calculator, where you need to tell it your Wh and the 450 is just a default?  Tell the distance calculator that you have a Ninebot One and then tell it your actual Wh, and it may calculate the distance you can still go.   

Yes the difference is in the neighborhood of 2 mph.  I think my friend showed 13.5 where I showed 15 mph but I'm not sure I'm at max speed.  At 15-ish mph I get pushback but perhaps could go faster.  I just don't want to.  

Also, the tires on mine are called Kenda.   These have seemed to work better.  My friend got CST tires, the same tires as on my AirWheel, and there are scraping issues.  I think every informed person recognizes that the Kenda tires work better on the Ninebot One than the CSTs.

It would be hard for me to send back a unit such as yours, since like today feels like Christmas because you received it.  In the long run I would wish that I had done that.  But it would be very very hard.  Good luck on your decision. ;)

Even if you or your wife don't want to go "that fast", still the machine having the ability to go "that fast" gives you a margin of safety.  Best of luck.

So the tires on mine are Kenda also so thank you for that note.   Seems like if App is giving N20's an addition mile or two per hour that

it can also be applied to the N10's through an App update if Ninebot wanted to since software driven.  No decision yet but it's very possible that I'll get the

P some time soon if they come on Amazon so the speed is not so important.  I'd be more concerned over a motor change that would affect length of life or safety.

It's like you get the bike you wanted on christmas, unwrap it and it's got a scratch.......still works but do you live with it  LOL

No, the speed difference is real.  Not an artifact of the App.  I'm convinced that the motors are in fact different.  Mine has a more pronounced whine than did my friends.  Mine is louder in addition to being faster.  I really think they switched the motors quietly at one point. 

I would love a P model, but probably will end up waiting for at least a P+ model. 

lol.....P+...you're killing me (kidding).  I'm waiting for the next generation Phantom or Solo quadcopter(drone) right now also before I buy  It's hard to commit when you educate yourself on stuff.

The motor in your N20 is something that I was thinking also ..someone needs to crack them open since I've seen some members here owning both models.   Darn, I'm all about Amazon free two day shipping and can't wait a month for something from China.

One final thought is that there is still some time needed to ensure that the added power is actually able to be supported by the motherboard and circuitry.   Maybe I'll just try to find a P and return this.   Anyone else want to sway me otherwise? :blink:

more questions-

1)Does anyone still have their box?  Mine has a sticker on side about the China expo in Milan Italy......can anyone let me know if this is on all boxes or
 did I get stock that did not sell in Italy?

2) My power button is red but on ebay I see only black power buttons on pics.  Is red something to be alarmed about like maybe fake e+?

3) How many miles should the App show for a full battery? What does yours say?  Mine says I have 13 miles available.....

I'm hoping the answers will help others. 

I got a N10 E+ and have the red power button as well. Nothing to be alarmed about. Also I got about 100 miles on 1.2.7 and had no issues besides not getting the speed updated. But I dont need the speed, so I dont mind.

I didnt have the expo sticker on my box but I got mine by end of may.
If you dare, open the battery box and look at the label of the battery. You should have a 320Wh in there to be a E+

Another option would be to email your serial to ninebot to confirm its a E+.

Best would be if you can give it back and get a N20 for your money or they should give you a rebate for buying their old stock.

Got mine start of September before I knew about any N10/N20 versions and only learned later on there were differences.

Read on FB last night that according to the Ninebot engineers there are no differences but clearly reading experiences from people in the 'real world' there seems to be something going on.

All I know is that I'm perfectly happy with the performance of my E+ and now even have a spare one 'just in case' but unfortunately they're both N10 versions so can't say from personal experience.  Hopefully, when enough are knocking around over in the UK and we all manage to get together there can be some kind of comparisons maybe?

Can't check the boxes as I'm working away this week but will take a look when I get back home?

Here's what I read last night :

"Ian Sampson Just to be clear there are no differences between N1 and N2 E+ Models.

What there is (and hence the change in serial number) is the E model AND E+ model have N1 in the serial number. Ninebot changed this later on to make it clear what was E+ and what
was E. So if you have an 'E+' that is slower than another E+..... bad news - you don't have an E+ you have an E wink emoticon

*Testing between x2 E+'s is easy. But to do the test you cant race a mate (unless you are the EXACT same weight and have the same riding style) and you need to ride an identical route (in short you have to conduct an exact same scientific test).

But - remember - this myth of different E+ powers due to serial number is not true, just a difference between E and E+"

and :

"Ian Sampson What I said comes direct from Ninebot Engineers as I raised the question some time ago with them.

Re the differences; it needs to be benched marked accordingly - under correct test conditions to work out why there is a difference (if there really is o
ne). But its not related to the serial number - that's what's being discussed (and have seen it mentioned lots of times). The fact its N1 or N2 has no bearing. It could be any number of other factors I guess."

"What there is (and hence the change in serial number) is the E model AND E+ model have N1 in the serial number. Ninebot changed this later on to make it clear what was E+ and what was E. So if you have an 'E+' that is slower than another E+..... bad news - you don't have an E+ you have an E wink emoticon"

This makes alot of sense.  The box I saw for the P online had N10 so guessing the P+ will have N20 to differentiate when it comes out.

The only problem I see is that the N10 E+ could easily be E's that have a sticker added to the box with the E+.   I weighed mine and it weighs in at 33 pounds, confirming at least by weight that it is an E+.     Still, it would be easy for someone to change the batteries out of E's and pass on as E+. 

Ninebot needs to have a better internal ID on these to help consumers ensure they are getting what they pay for.  

Of course Ninebot would not necessarily be upfront about N10 vs N20 differences because it would affect resellers ability to move stock.

Lastly, can someone please check the mileage available on the 1.2.7 app full battery for their N10 and N20?  Mine is showing 13 miles available and I though it would be higher based on E+ specs?  Could be just an App thing though so that is why your numbers would be helpful to me and others.

Now I've got two units I don't mind so much tearing one down to look inside - but as they're both N10 (at least by the serial number on the frame?) models I won't - or shouldn't? - see any differences.

Need somebody with an N20 who is willing to remove the covers and take pictures so comparisons can be made?  Please let me know any specific details / pictures which need to be documented ;)

Cheers, Richard.

By the way, just checked the one I have with me today and my tyre has 'KENDA' written on it - don't know exactly what it means tho?

AFAIK there are two Manufacturers the E+ uses as tires. One is Kenda (the supposedly better one) and the other is CST. CST are a bit wider and therefore could rub on the casing when inflated too much.

The only thing you could check and take a picture would be of the motherboard. The other thing being different would be the engine itself, but thats a big one to dig out.. wouldnt recommend opening this.

On 06/11/2015, 16:11:27, Thumper0511 said:

re whether you have a Ninebot One E or E+ - Just weight it....  if 14.2Kg then it's an E+.  If it's 13.8 then it's an E

I've just put both mine on the scales at home and they're both 14.4kg so that's a good sign.  Just got some 'wrap' to cover up the scratches too so as long as it doesn't get too busy around here today I may be 'dressing' one of 'em up a bit ;)

Most likely difference is motherboard as that would be most likely change....maybe just a chip.  Concern would be that app is allowing additional power to be processed...something it's not designed for.  To explain my thoughts....you can't run a car continuously on nitrous or you'll blow engine eventually.   Something that if true will begin to surface with time on n10 vs n20.

I really want to add either passive or active cooling to my motherboard as it is heat that destroys or shortens life of electronics 

So, sorry to drag this back up, I took the 'left side' leg pad cover off today to get cracking on the 'wrap' vinyl covering and noted the label inside - as per pic?

Another check on the original box and the 'E+' is just a sticker added to the outside.

Does look more like a bigger battery was added which is the only difference between the E and the E+ after all (oh, and a sticker on the outside of the box!).

IMG_20151116_103207.jpg

IMG_20151116_103207a.jpg

IMG_20151116_110635a.jpg

1 hour ago, DangerousDick said:

So, sorry to drag this back up, I took the 'left side' leg pad cover off today to get cracking on the 'wrap' vinyl covering and noted the label inside - as per pic?

Another check on the original box and the 'E+' is just a sticker added to the outside.

Does look more like a bigger battery was added which is the only difference between the E and the E+ after all (oh, and a sticker on the outside of the box!).

IMG_20151116_103207.jpg

IMG_20151116_103207a.jpg

IMG_20151116_110635a.jpg

Interesting.  Well we figured different mother board but question is whether just an e with a bigger battery?    I have a n10. I'm able to get up to 14 mph no problem.   My understanding is E can not go that fast.   Confusing.   I'll open mine up later today. Mine weighs quoted e+ weight.

1 hour ago, DangerousDick said:

IMG_20151116_103207.jpg

IMG_20151116_103207a.jpg

IMG_20151116_110635a.jpg

Interesting.  Well we figured different mother board but question is whether just an e with a bigger battery?    I have a n10. I'm able to get up to 14 mph no problem.   My understanding is E can not go that fast.   Confusing.   I'll open mine up later today. Mine weighs quoted e+ weight.

19 minutes ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

No need to open it, just find the series No. on the two-dimension code near the handle bar, if the series NO. begins from N20, that is E+.

9 minutes ago, Linneaunicycles said:

No need to open it, just find the series No. on the two-dimension code near the handle bar, if the series NO. begins from N20, that is E+.

Yes, but is it using the same motherboard (different setup to achieve the higher speeds etc.) or is it a different version all together? 

Need a picture of an N20 motherboard for comparison - or even a comparison between an E+ (supposedly!) which does 12.5mph and one which goes 15mph?

Archived