Changing the case on a Gotway 18"

Shady Tools

I've been holding my case together with duct tape for the last few months. Yesterday it rained & my wheel switched itself off whilst I was holding onto a fence waiting to go around a roundabout.

I got back to work & it wouldn't switch off so I've finally decided to put the new case on that Jane sent me.

I'm not feeling very confident as there's a lot of strong sticky stuff to get off before we can extract the innards. I'm not looking forward to trying to stick it all back into the new one.

Here goes nothing... 

14463158529441048973583.jpg

Yikes, sure looks messy inside! I have to admit, I never opened mine. Kindly let us know, how you're coming along with this project and please shoot a few pics along the way. Are you replacing a model 1 case with the newer, smaller version by any chance? I'm tempted to do that, but the original shell is still in fairly decent shape. But I am curious, if they are easily swappable. 

Good luck with your endeavor!

I'm having a bit of a nightmare trying to figure out where everything plugs back in again. One of the plugs looked fried so we swapped for screw connectors but accidentally connected two plugs.

There's been quite a few sparks flying. The wheel did come on & the gyroscope was working but it still wouldn't switch off.

I have taken a few photos but it keeps telling me they're too big to upload on here.

Thanks for the encouragement, I will send an update when there is one.

@Shady Tools: in case you can't figure it out and get stuck, let me know. In that case I will open up mine (first model, 680Wh, MS) and document the cabling. With any luck, your's should be identical. Don't want to open it right away as its all nicely taped with baby bumpers ... :-)

14 minutes ago, Shady Tools said:

@John Eucist

Sorry to be a pain guys but I took it apart without taking photos of where the wires were - I know, dumb right?

We've had lots of sparks flying but haven't been able to figure it out. If somebody could take a picture of where the wires are supposed to be I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Sold my Msupers months back.  Sorry.

Thanks guys.

You're a star @Tilmann cheers mate.

I left my wheel at my dads as I don't have many tools. He happens to be here though because we're off swimming with the kids. I just showed it to him & he said we can try later. It's the black leads we are struggling on the most. I put different shapes & dots on the yellow ones do I'm quite sure where they go.

Thanks again, I will let you know when it's done :-)

This is what my wires look like now. One of the black plugs was green & smelled burnt so we put it into a split plug but then we discovered we had put 2 male plugs together. I think we changed that but does anybody know where they go now?

It's going from battery to battery at the moment.

1446570000517-1605626865.jpg

14465701522021184299722.jpg

Thanks for the offer @Tilmann. I had my friend who is an engineer have a look & apparently 2 resistors have burnt out. R13 & R14. We have emailed to request replacements or info on what their values are, then we can buy some here in the UK & save on postage.

Thanks @h00ktern I searched for ages to find that video when we were opening my wheel but failed lol. Now I will always have the link in this thread :-D

I'm sure that if you speak nicely to Jane she'll send you a replacement control board Shady.

Soldering replacement components onto the board is a bit fiddly and you can never really be sure that there is nothing else wrong.

Archived