One S2 Interrupting Charging and Turning Itself Off

abm0

I got a second-hand One S2 with light scratches and only 4km traveled in total (was supposedly only used for tests in a store) and I'm seeing some weird behavior during charging: it will charge for 10-15 minutes, get about +5%, then start to beep, the beeps will accelerate and end with a long beep, at which point the S2 turns itself off. If I press the power button to turn it on again it starts charging again but after a while it will beep and stop again.

Is this some temperature protection kicking in? Or is it simply losing Bluetooth signal and turning off as a security measure?

Welcome @abm0

Seems to be a dead battery!?

It charges only up to 5% - which voltage is shown? Does the app show any message/usefull information? Can you "monitor" whats happening while this 10-15 min charge process until the wheel turns off?

You can look at the app - does it show all the separate cell voltages? Afair the One S2 already reports single cell voltages?

If so and they are not shown in the app there exists a tool (apk) announced here -

It's in the minipro section, but also works for Z10 - maybe for S2 too?

10 hours ago, abm0 said:

I got a second-hand One S2 with light scratches and only 4km traveled in total (was supposedly only used for tests in a store) and I'm seeing some weird behavior during charging: it will charge for 10-15 minutes, get about +5%, then start to beep, the beeps will accelerate and end with a long beep, at which point the S2 turns itself off. If I press the power button to turn it on again it starts charging again but after a while it will beep and stop again.

Is this some temperature protection kicking in? Or is it simply losing Bluetooth signal and turning off as a security measure?

It's total normally that the S2 begins to beep and turns off after a while, since it was not used. 

It's not needed to be turned on while loading. As long as you see the red led on your charger, as long it's loading. 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2019 at 2:13 PM, Chriull said:

Welcome @abm0

Seems to be a dead battery!?

It charges only up to 5% - which voltage is shown?

Not dead by any means, voltage shows as 5-something volts on both packs. I said +5%, not 5% total. :) It's around 50% total now, with some 1.5% of imbalance between the packs.

On 11/3/2019 at 11:02 PM, Werner said:

It's total normally that the S2 begins to beep and turns off after a while, since it was not used. 

It's not needed to be turned on while loading. As long as you see the red led on your charger, as long it's loading. 

Ohh, OK, I thought it wasn't charging when off because it wasn't showing progress in any way, unlike phones or... everything else with a rechargeable battery. :)

OK, so it turns itself off if not used for a while. Good to know, thanks!

37 minutes ago, abm0 said:

Not dead by any means, voltage shows as 5-something volts on both packs. I said +5%, not 5% total. :) It's around 50% total now, with some 1.5% of imbalance between the packs.

Ok!

Ohh, OK, I thought it wasn't charging when off because it wasn't showing progress in any way, unlike phones or... everything else with a rechargeable battery. :)

OK, so it turns itself off if not used for a while. Good to know, thanks!

So you tried to just charge it (ignoring the S2 "shutdown") and get full batteries? Hope that solved your problem!

9 minutes ago, Chriull said:

So you tried to just charge it (ignoring the S2 "shutdown") and get full batteries?

No, I will try to avoid charging to 100% to protect the battery longevity. Maybe if the left-right imbalance gets too large I will do a 100% occasionally, but not regularly.

This time I just wanted to get it away from 30% up to around 50%, just enough to do another learning session. Unfortunately my shin takes much longer to "recharge" from the pain that develops when I lean all my weight into it trying to ride one-legged like in the Inmotion training video on YouTube. :)

3 minutes ago, abm0 said:

No, I will try to avoid charging to 100% to protect the battery longevity. Maybe if the left-right imbalance gets too large I will do a 100% occasionally, but not regularly.

You are aware that the cells in each pack will not get balanced by this?! Normally it's recommended to skip 100% charging totaly!

This time I just wanted to get it away from 30% up to around 50%, just enough to do another learning session. Unfortunately my shin takes much longer to "recharge" from the pain that develops when I lean all my weight into it trying to ride one-legged like in the Inmotion training video on YouTube. :)

If you recharge fully (from time to time - not too seldomly) just before your ride it does not stress the batteries too much.

50 minutes ago, Chriull said:

You are aware that the cells in each pack will not get balanced by this?!

Cells in each pack? I was talking about balancing the left pack vs. the right pack. I don't see what else could balance them except pushing them both to 100% or draining both to 0% (but the latter seems like it would take a very annoying riding session full of beeps and tiltbacks, and still wouldn't guarantee equalization, depending on how the wheel decides when to completely stop working).

36 minutes ago, abm0 said:

Cells in each pack? I was talking about balancing the left pack vs. the right pack.

Yes, i noticed - my answer was not in regard of your mentioning the pack balance.

Imbalance between left and right pack should normally not be (too) "tragic" - just inconvinient :(. If there is no real BMS/connection problem!

Some small percentage could even result just from measurement inaccuracies inside the BMS.

Btw - with the pack imbalance are you taking about the capacity or the voltage? Afair S2 have some kind of coloumb counting and shows pack capacities?

Cell imbalance within one pack on the other side is very "tragic" and leads to unusable packs. This can only be balanced (to some degree) by fully charging the pack.

36 minutes ago, abm0 said:

I don't see what else could balance them except pushing them both to 100% or draining both to 0% (but the latter seems like it would take a very annoying riding session full of beeps and tiltbacks, and still wouldn't guarantee equalization, depending on how the wheel decides when to completely stop working).

I never really got how the ninebot handling of the separate battery pack works - i can't remember (or just did not see) any detailed discussion/report regarding this. On of my (very personal) thought/hypothesis is that they are not paralleled but used alternately? From the Z's was reported that the get out of balance by regenerative braking and "normal" riding syncs them again? So this could also mean that they are "daisy chained" like (some) earlier KS.

But anyhow - charging to 100% for syncing them seems the better solution than riding to 100%. Also just some driving could just sync them by using the pack with more voltage?